Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Illinois Gun Laws

Byron Simpson

So I'm from Houston and I go to the Chicago area on business. I get out of my training session early and find a gun store near the airport, not a bad place -- even has an indoor range.

I see they have one of the new S&W M&P's in the case, so I ask to see it. The lady behind the counter goes and gets her keys to open the case and then asks for my "handgun card". I say "I don't have one, I am from out of state." She huffs and starts walking away. I say "Wait! I have my Texas Concealed Handgun carry license, will that do?" She says "No!" and walks away.

The manager must have overheard because he comes out of the back room and explains to me that there is a law that I can't hold the gun or check it out because I am from out of state and the only reason I should be looking at a gun is for hunting in IL, and since you can't hunt in IL with a handgun, he can't show it to me. He says he can sell it to me and ship it to my FFL, but I can't even hold it.

That sucks! Here I had nothing better to do and just wanted to checkout a gun I haven't had the chance to see in person yet, and I get hosed. :angry:

It's not call the "People's Republic of Illinois" for nothing.

In all fairness, the vast majority of the state (both geographically and on a population basis) are terrific supporters of the Second Amendment. It's just the massive concentration of liberals in the Chicago metropolitan area that buggers things up.

What's also irritating is the clerk's attitude. No way to treat any customer, window shopping or not. She should know that we're all on the same side. Her boss needs to talk to her, not just to you.

Read my signature line.

A buddy and I were talking about fireworks tonight. What a bass ackwards state IL is! You have to go over to MO to buy fireworks, and then some people think it's a crime to set them off on the 4th of July.

I had the same exact situation a couple years ago. Clerks treat you like a child molester because you live in another state and not their communist regime. I have since learned to not even bother going to gun shops in IL, even though I spend a lot of time there. I just smile and go home to IN, the beloved home of proper carry laws and machine guns. Ripping off Bill drills in my backyard relieves all that stress pretty quickly.

Several years ago I was in IL and was going to do some quail hunting with my stepdad and cousins. We stopped at a Walmart and I bought a non-resident hunting license, no problem. Then I tried to buy a few boxes of shells and the same clerk suddenly needed to see my FOID card. I tried explaining to her that you need to be a resident of IL to get a FOID card, and I am obviously not a resident, just look at my hunting license. She wouldn't budge on it, so another person in our hunting party just bought them for me.

Fast forward a year or two:

I was trying to get my stepdad reinterested in pistol, so we take his revolver and a bunch of ammo to the local indoor range to rent a lane. They didn't want to rent a lane to me because I don't have a FOID card. I show him my CA driver's license, USPSA card, my two range membership cards for ranges in CA, NRA card, and everything else I had in my wallet to try and convince him I am an avid shooter from out-of-state. Eventually the owner came over because of the rucus (knows my stepdad for years) and he rents us a lane under the premise that I am a 'student' of the resident FOID card holder.

Okay, will someone please tell me why we give shooting-related tax dollars to a state government that thinks we are a bunch of child-molesting, gang members/felons????

Why do we hold at least one USPSA National Championship per year there?

Yes, I know. I normally let Wakal do all the ranting on this one, but please, isn't this rediculous?

I don't want to go to IL again. At least, not for shooting competitions.

Liota

Okay, will someone please tell me why we give shooting-related tax dollars to a state government that thinks we are a bunch of child-molesting, gang members/felons????

Why do we hold at least one USPSA National Championship per year there?

Yes, I know. I normally let Wakal do all the ranting on this one, but please, isn't this rediculous?

I don't want to go to IL again. At least, not for shooting competitions.

Liota

From what I hear IL is a trinity: Chicago, Central IL and South IL. We need to witness for the 2/3 that get it. Think of it as a tactic.... :ph34r: