Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking Of Getting Into Uspsa Revolver, What Gun,caliber, And Gear

XAFSP

I do cowboy action now. But am thinking of getting into revolver class in practical pistol. What guns are good the start out with,? What BBl length? What would be the best caliber, for CAS I use 38/357 is it OK to use or should I go bigger???

What gear would I need??

Thanks

Tim

Edited by XAFSP

You can use a .38/357 and do just fine but you will find that the most widely used revolver these days is the 625 in .45 ACP.

I like the .45 because I enjoy shooting the 230 grain bullets and they reload very fast. The .45 also shoots easier at Major than .357 loads do, at least for my mind.

Reloading with moon clips is a bit more reliable because I have never had a moon clip get stuck under the star. Shooting a .38 you may get one stuck during a reload and that will cost you.

Holsters? Hogue makes a great holster, so does Rescomp and Safariland. I recently switched to a SpeedSec holster from Shooters Connection and love it for all my revolvers.

Any barrel works from 4 inches to 6. The longer the better depending on your eyes. Most 625s are 5 inches.

I hope this helps.

Is the 610 a good option too? I think it's in .40.

Just curious.

Rich

Actually, it is a 10mm, but it also shoots 40 S&W because the moonclip guns headspace on the groove/moonclip. The 646 is the 40 S&W only revo.

Just curious.

Rich

There are some 610's in the game, but they are outnumbered by the 625's by about 50 to 1.

Go with the 625 with the 5" barrel, much easier to load than the 610 & the shorter barrel handles easier in the tight spots, plus the 610's are discontinued at this time and very expensive to buy when you find one. None of the good shooters are using 610's, just too much of a handicap.

Dick

wear your seat belt, that way you won't have to walk back to the wreck!

I shoot a 610 classic 6.5" and I prefer it over the 45 since it is a tad cheaper to shoot. If you shoot 40 in it, you can use small pistol primers. I have 2 other guns that shoot 40 cal (sig 229 and Para P16-40) and I don't need to purchase/load another caliber. The reason for the 50 to 1 ratio of 625 to 610 is mostly due to availability of the 625 style guns. They've been building them since WWI (Model 1917) and the 10/40 cal revo's are fairly new models comparatively speaking. If you can find a 610 and you want to shoot 40/10, then go for it. If you already load a 45, then the 625 is a better choice. I like having the ability to shoot pop-gun 40 loads or if I want to shoot another game requiring more power (sillouette) I can stoke up some 200 or 220 gr 10 mm loads for that, or I can even load it to light 41 magnum power and go hunting with it. If I get another 610, I'm going to try and find a 5" or 4" version, but if all I can find is another 6.5, then I'd take that too. It's good to have a backup.

Vince

Edited by sargenv

Just curious.

Rich

For USPSA/IPSC

The 610 is a nice gun to shoot and brass is cheaper.

The downside is the reload compared to a 625. In our testing, when all goes well, the 610 loads slightly faster than the 625 BUT the disaster factor with the 610 is huge. When going fast we found a greater than 50% missed reload factor. You have to be "spot-on" getting the moons in.

Also, the gun is no longer in production.