Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found this stuff on the range. Never seen anything like it. It looks like it's primer fired, and has some blackening at the "muzzle" end. Mikes similar to .40, larger brass cylinder slides along smaller one.

Someone said it's a pricey Hollywood blank. But it's kinda heavy and well made for a one shot blank, but who knows.

post-551-1149541979_thumb.jpg

MAYBE FOR RUBBER BULLETS? THE LARGE CALIBER (37-40MM) NON-LETHALS ARE RELOADABLE, BUT I CAN'T IMAGINE USING .40 CAL LIKE THAT. STRANGE, NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT. I WILL BE INTERESTED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. :blink:

BIG WILL

Simmunitions?

That's close.

I have a few of these. Ultra cool system.

The rounds are fired in specially modified Glocks (just a barrel change, IIRC), and hold a charge of compressed air. I saw them being reloaded on a modified single-stage reloading press with an air line attached. They cycle the slide with the charge of air released when the firing pin strikes the base of the cartridge. I believe they can also be modified to fire paintballs if the gun is so configured.

PRISM (manufacturer's website) is the name of the firing simulator I fired them on. It was a large towed travel trailer with expanding sides, and 2 rooms. In one room the operator has three CRTs. One shows what the shooter in the next room sees, one is the display for the computer that runs the whole show, and one is the view from a camera looking down at the shooter from the top of the room, over the floor-to-ceiling screen.

You begin by firing a few shoots at a cross-hair on the screen to calibrate the system to detect your hits. After the exercise, the controller can display the bad guys with your hits superimposed on the screen, splits, time to first shot, etc.

The shooter has a scenario played on this large screen and has to make decisions, give commands, act, react, and if necessary, shoot the miscreants. There are also 2 short stub walls on either side of the room to encourage the use of cover. The camera above the screen is connected to a joystick-actived, remote controlled gun that fires a hard white plastic ball (approx. .75 caliber) by air. If the controller wants to reinforce the use of cover with the shooter, he can drill you with one of these, and it hurts.

One cool thing is it's a DVD-based system with a ton of scenarios available, and they can be mission-specific. There's a good number of agencies that have recorded their own scenarios. Videos for patrol officers can be of car stops and grocery store hold-ups, while the videos for officers working plain clothes drug busts can play out as a deal gone bad. AND, each scenario has branches built into the little drama. For example, if the operator feels you are controlling the situation well, he may give it a full-compliance no-shoot ending. Or, he can change it on the fly and put you into a shots-fired situation with just a keystroke.

I ran some Columbine-type scenarios (pretty spooky), convenience store robberies (one that had 4 bad folks draw on you at once -- you learn to lose with this one), traffic stops gone bad, an airport terminal scenario and one with 2 teenaged boys with weapons accompanied by a teenaged girl. I was controlling everything well but was so intent of the 2 boys that I didn't see the gun that bitch pulled until it was too late. For my assumption regarding the "weaker sex" I got one of those hard white balls fired into my thigh. Lesson learned.

It will get you amped up.

Edited by ima45dv8

Yeah they are the airmunition thing. Cool.

I could've bit on the video thing except that there were maybe 50 of these things spread over an outdoor IPSC bay. Someone was playing a little force on force I suspect.

I've done the "FATS" style video thing too, they are fun. Never had one shoot back though. :unsure: