Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A D, A D, A D.....

SA Friday

OK, so finally started reloading 9mm. My factory was about 137pf. I was used to it because it was all I had shot. Some Zero 147 gr HP's and Titegroup and a bit of experimenting... 128pf. Worked on the recoil spring to get a better ejection and faster slide, and we're in business.

Shooting OK at the next match, so really looking forward to a good classifier, and all of a sudden: AD, AD, AD, etc. So a master class shooter walks up and says, " lighter pf reloads, right?" I say yes, and more accurate too. He says "all your hits are in line, you're pushing" and walks away.

He was right. My timing was off on the recovery from the first round. I didn't realize it initially because the previous stages were not stages that would exagerate the problem.

What to be learned; practice a lot with that drastic a change in ammo before shooting a match, and even then expect some "getting used to" time.

It's nice now that I've gotten more rounds down range. The front sight almost always stays in the target on the initial rounds recoil. I just needed to get used to not having the front sight over the target on the recovery.

For a second there, I thought you meant the other AD.... :lol:

This also sounds suspiciously like you're shooting "double taps" and not two focused sight alignments.... ;)

Could be where the problem originated from too. Been shooting as a cop a lot longer than shooting USPSA. I have noticed upon reflecting on a bad stage, I can't remember where my front sight was on some targets, but this is usually when I am missing. The A, D, thing was new, and went away quickly after addressing it with more live fire practice.

Sight picture shooting is problematical for me now, and I know it. I can't reliabily call my shots yet. I have been thinking about going to Limited so I can concentrate more on the shooting basics and less on the reloading and stage planning.

Sight picture shooting is problematical for me now, and I know it. I can't reliabily call my shots yet. I have been thinking about going to Limited so I can concentrate more on the shooting basics and less on the reloading and stage planning.

Going to Limited doesn't mean you have to worry less about stage planning, if you shoot A D on each target you are still going to lose. Concentrate on the sights & call the shot and you have all the shooting basics. Reloads are just as important in Limited as the trend is toward 24-32 round stages. Of the last 11 local match stages 3 required mag changes, 3 16's & a 23, 1 8 & the rest 24+.

I don't know how many Limited shooters I have heard say "I think I will go production to focus on the basics and shooting all Alphas". The grass is always greener.

Stay with the girl (gun) that brung ya and get it worked through.

Sean...

Stay with the production gun and just focus on watching those sights..the 2A will be there then..

hey..I'll squad up with ya at the next match and motivate ya ( with a big #)(* stick) to see that sight.. :D

Edited by eerw

Sean...

Stay with the production gun and just focus on watching those sights..the 2A will be there then..

hey..I'll squad up with ya at the next match and motivate ya ( with a big #)(* stick) to see that sight.. :D

Deal Stew! I would love the help. I won't be at the June PPPS match (family stuff), but the next one we are both at, you are on.

Sean...

Deal Stew! I would love the help. I won't be at the June PPPS match (family stuff), but the next one we are both at, you are on.

Hey Sean...good to shoot with your..the squad was so small that it was tough to talk things out on stages...you may have felt slow...but you shot a 63% of a GM open score with a production gun..that ain't bad..and third overall in production at 93% of a B class production shooter..and only one penalty of any type..

I'd say pretty good.

Heck..I know I had problems getting going..especially on the classifier and one other stage...