Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mozambique

I've shot 2 local club matchs that had 'Mozambique' targets.

Difference was how they were scored..

1) Best 1 in the Upper A/B, Best 2 in the 'main' target area. Any miss was simply a single miss.

2) At least 1 in the Upper A/B, and 2 more anywhere on the target. If there was no hit in the upper A/B, 3 misses for the target. I just shot 3 in the Upper A/B, rather than transistion.

There are probably others.. I don't mind, whatever the course description says, just curious.

The "Classic" definition of a Mozambique engagement style is one in the upper A/B, two in the lower A/C/D area. It is usually run Virginia Count and usually requires no more and no less rounds than specified in each zone, or substantial penalties will result.

The oddball way you mentioned the recent Mozambique stage being run is a new one on me.

The biggest issue I have seen with Mozambique engagement is gamers going for all the upper A/B's first on multiple targets and then coming back for the lower portions (or vice, versa). I feel this is wrong (even thougth it may not effect score noticeably) and always call out per target completion prior to engaging another target in my written course descriptions.

My understanding of the Mozambique drill is FIRST shoot two to the body, because center-of-mass will give you the quickest hits. THEN shoot one to the head, in case the body shots don't do the job. Shooting three to the head would defeat the purpose.

I guess it would depend on the specific stage instructions.

My understanding of the Mozambique drill is FIRST shoot two to the body, because center-of-mass will give you the quickest hits. THEN shoot one to the head, in case the body shots don't do the job. Shooting three to the head would defeat the purpose.

I guess it would depend on the specific stage instructions.

The way I remember the Mozambique is exactly that way, 2 body, then 1 head. Any other way is simply 3 rounds on target. Definately not in the spirit of the game. I guess if you don't specify it as 2 body then 1 head, the IPSC laywers will come out of the woodwork.

What about the Mikes?

How do you score thse normally?

Say there's just one 1 in the Upper A/B, 1 in the 'body'?

Or, Just 2 in the body?

I'll add... this was on a field course..

Edited by BerKim

What about the Mikes?

Or, Just 2 in the body?

1 in head, 1 in body would be 1 Mike. 2 in body and none in head would be 1 Mike.

The interesting question is what happens if you have 3 in the body. In the IDPA classifier a shot that was supposed to go in the head but hits the body would be considered a Mike.

What about the Mikes?

Or, Just 2 in the body?

1 in head, 1 in body would be 1 Mike. 2 in body and none in head would be 1 Mike.

The interesting question is what happens if you have 3 in the body. In the IDPA classifier a shot that was supposed to go in the head but hits the body would be considered a Mike.

The best thin to do is put three in the B/C zone of the target. Right on the line. That way you cn call one in the head and the other two in the body.

The best thin to do is put three in the B/C zone of the target. Right on the line. That way you cn call one in the head and the other two in the body.

:D

Do you like to put them in a horizontal line so there is no question of each round hitting the line or do you go all out and put them all in one hole?

So.. back to my original question..

Is there a written standard foer this for a USPSA match?

Or is it whatever the course description says?

Or, if it just says Mozamibque.. where can you point to the rule?

USPSA rules don't support scoring different zones on a target as seperate targets. In other words if the course description requires 3 hits to the targets then the best 3 hits per target are scored.

A little drift and then back ;-)

Have you seen the flag of Mozambique?

post-749-1149572415_thumb.jpg

Here is tad more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique

Back to the question. There is no USPSA rule to use in standardizing this so the course description has to be custom worded to provide the desired result.

Here is my most recent approach scored Virginia Count (as most I have ever shot have been):

On signal engage T1-T3 with one round in the upper A/B zone and two rounds in the lower A/C/D zone each.

Back to the question. There is no USPSA rule to use in standardizing this so the course description has to be custom worded to provide the desired result.

Here is my most recent approach scored Virginia Count (as most I have ever shot have been):

On signal engage T1-T3 with one round in the upper A/B zone and two rounds in the lower A/C/D zone each.

So in a USPSA stage written as such how would you score a target that has only 3 hits in the lower A zone. And please quote the USPSA rule that supports such scoring.

Edited by Scott R

There is no rule that guides the scoring of the upper A/B zone separate from the lower portion of the target.

The best way to set up a Mozambique stage is to use headless targets (for the P.C. types that is a target with the upper A/B zone removed) and then place an 8" plate where the head would be. Write the course description as "The shooter must engage one paper then one plate etc." That's about the closest you could get. You still couldn't designate that they have to engage the plate above the target in order unless you made them seperate arrays and required a reload between or something but location should cause them to shoot as such (if this is a standards stage and not a field course.)

Edited by Bigbadaboom

So in a USPSA stage written as such how would you score a target that has only 3 hits in the lower A zone. And please quote the USPSA rule that supports such scoring.

There is no USPSA rule that AI know of that would support such scoring.

USPSA rule 4.1.5 specifically prohibits "Declaring a single, intact target to represent two

or more targets by use of tape, paint, or any other means."

SO-- If you take a target, divide it into "head" and "body", and say 2 to the body, one to the head, it ain't legal to begin with.

If you use two seperate targets, and "hard cover" paint them to simulate one head and

one body, and there are 3 holes in the body target, none in the head target?

Scoring:

Comstock

Body 2 whatever

Head 1M. I probably wouldn't do a FTE, there were 3 shots fired. :)

Virginia

Body 2 whatever, 1 extra hit

Head 1M, No FTE

Hi Kurt, the stage description I quoted from was from a rifle stage I recently designed so I am good to go in this category. BTW, congrats on being the new Nordic Standard Rifle Champion!

To the others who are looking for a USPSA rule on this, there ain't one and if you are running a match with a "true" single paper target Mozambique, you ain't gonna' be able to deal with the lawers by pointing to any rules in the book.

If it's a Level I club match, just word the course description like I did and you are good to go with a verbal warning at the walk-through.

As far as the scoring of 3 in the lower portion of the target goes, it would be 2 hit's and 1 mike, end of story.

Another way to do it within the rule book for Level II and higher matches would be to use a Classic target (Turtle) with a standard target right behind it that has everything but the upper A/B blacked out as hard cover. Position them so the upper A/B sits righ above the Turtle and you are good to go within the rules.

To the others who are looking for a USPSA rule on this, there ain't one and if you are running a match with a "true" single paper target Mozambique, you ain't gonna' be able to deal with the lawers by pointing to any rules in the book.

If it's a Level I club match, just word the course description like I did and you are good to go with a verbal warning at the walk-through.

As far as the scoring of 3 in the lower portion of the target goes, it would be 2 hit's and 1 mike, end of story.

Another way to do it within the rule book for Level II and higher matches would be to use a Classic target (Turtle) with a standard target right behind it that has everything but the upper A/B blacked out as hard cover. Position them so the upper A/B sits righ above the Turtle and you are good to go within the rules.

Sorry, I thought the only difference for level I was this.

US1.1.5.1 Level I matches are not required to comply strictly with the

freestyle requirements or round count limitations.

And for your fix for Level II and higher, I don't think you can mix Classic and Metric targets in the same stage.

4.2.1 There are two types of paper targets approved for use in IPSC

Handgun matches (see Appendix B ). These types must not be

included together in any stage.

My point in this discusion is not to get under anyones skin, but to answer the question " Is there a written standard foer this for a USPSA match?", and to voice that in my opinion clubs that run USPSA matches (whether they be 3-gun or pistol) should adhere to the USPSA rule book when designing stages.

I guess the steel plate version is the only way to actually stay within the rules (forgot about 4.2.1).

I would just use a Classic target then as removing the head would make the standard IPSC target non-standard ;-)

I would not hesitate to do it the way I specified previously at a Level I club match, but thats just me.

George, I didn't mean your posts, just these posts in general seems to belong in the USPSA rules section. As for the steel target for the head you wouldn't be able to run it as virginia count because there is now steel involved, and a close steel target for rifle/carbine is punishment enough :D. Thganks for the thanks. KURT

Kurt, you are very welcome. I hear tell you showed a few folks over in Denmark how offhand shooting is really done :-)

Yes, you are correct about the mish mash of rifle/pistol here in the rifle forum, but heck, it don't bother me none ;-)

Here is the complete Mozambique rifle stage as I recently ran it at the Bay Area Rifle Championship (Berkim was there and may have been referring to it as one of the Moz's he recently ran).

Prez_de_Moz.pdf

Have you seen the flag of Mozambique?

LOL, interesting, an AK, a hoe, and a book I'm guessing is the bible. Well that about sums it up. :)

My point in this discusion is not to get under anyones skin, but to answer the question " Is there a written standard foer this for a USPSA match?", and to voice that in my opinion clubs that run USPSA matches (whether they be 3-gun or pistol) should adhere to the USPSA rule book when designing stages.

Which is why a lot of 3 gun matches put on by clubs are not official USPSA. Not meant in any durrogatory way just saying some times there can be to many rules which is why alot of 3 gun matches follow other rules or make their own.