Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Finish Over Hardchrome

jmaracing

Ok,

I have a dilemma. I want a black gun, but want the properties (ie, hardness and durability) of hardchrome. I read in another thread that Benny has put a black bake-on coat over hard chrome to achieve this. Anyone have experience with this? Seems like the only option to achieve what I want.

jmaracing

I'm not sure of the process Benny is doing. But Derek at Millennium Custom did a "PVD" coating on my gun. I don't think he actually did it, he sent it somewhere...not sure who's doing it.

I don't know crap about metals but supposedly it is thinner and harder than hard chrome.

I've only had it about 6 months but it seems to be holding up well. It's slick, and looks cool. It's a real flat black, not the blue looking black.

Derek did both of my limited guns. I think the finish is called Tungsten Carbide. Its hard, thin, and slicker than snot. It is also pricy, but well worth it in my opinion.

I'm not sure of the process Benny is doing. But Derek at Millennium Custom did a "PVD" coating on my gun. I don't think he actually did it, he sent it somewhere...not sure who's doing it.

I don't know crap about metals but supposedly it is thinner and harder than hard chrome.

I've only had it about 6 months but it seems to be holding up well. It's slick, and looks cool. It's a real flat black, not the blue looking black.

Derek did both of my limited guns. I think the finish is called Tungsten Carbide. Its hard, thin, and slicker than snot. It is also pricy, but well worth it in my opinion.

Interesting. OK, who knows more about this PVD stuff?

What is PVD coating?

Physical Vapor Deposition, or PVD, is a term used to describe a family of thin-film coating processes which are applied under vacuum conditions (10-2 to 10-4 Torr). These processes involve the generation of positively charged ions of various metals. These metal ions react with gas ions that are introduced into the chamber in order to create various compositions. The parts to be coated are given a negative bias in order to attract the positively charged ions. The result is a very strong mechanical bond between the coating and the tool.

A friend of mine had his gun TiN-ed (Titanium Nitride). It's harder than Chrome, and it's more of an impregnation method than a plating. You can choose various colors. He chose black and it looks awesome.

Tungsten Nitride - thats it. I didn't know you could have other colors done, though. I like the black anyway.

A friend of mine had his gun TiN-ed (Titanium Nitride). It's harder than Chrome, and it's more of an impregnation method than a plating. You can choose various colors. He chose black and it looks awesome.

Tungsten Nitride - thats it. I didn't know you could have other colors done, though. I like the black anyway.

The golden barrels in SVIs are also TiN. So you can have a "golden gun" ;)

Who does this process? Any information/link/phone number etc...

Thanks.

Thanks.

Sorry, I wouldn't know for the US :unsure: I live in Europe and my friend had it done there.

Thanks.

Ok, I've done more research on this. A few places do PVD coating and do small parts. AlTiN is the best probably. WAAAAY harder than hardchrome, thinner, more rust resistance, slicker, the list goes on and on. It's dark grey/black, but there's a whole lot of these coatings in various colors, most would be superior to tradiaitonal hard chroming. They do need to understand firearms a little, cause of the temperature they apply it at. It's variable, so they need to know exactly what metals, etc. Or, send it to Millenium. They contract with someone, prep the gun and make sure you get exactly what you need. I'm sure they can request different coatings to match your needs.

jma

Edited by jmaracing

I have a Millenium gun with the PVD-DLC coating. Nice black finish. I've recently switched from a Guga Ribas to a DOH. After repeated dry fire draws, the DOH hasn't done any noticeable wear to the the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

:( I believe Ive check through these posts and I havent found who does the

"PVD" black finish, I had a web site a while back and misplace/lost it

the web said they do firearms pistols for 95.00 and on it said not to

send any plastic parts cause the process would destroy them.

Anyone know of this site????

Jim/PA

Sailors custom :huh:

I am always amazed at the gold Titanium Nitride finish on the barrel of my SVI

Even when it is bone dry it feels slick to the touch as if coated with lubricant.

After about 8-10,000 rounds, there are burnish marks on the inside of the slide but the barrel is still pristine.

I did not know that it was possible to coat an entire gun with this stuff, but I can't see holster wear ever being an issue ;)

Geez Bill,...... I guess "subtle" or "low profile" is not in your game plan.

That's gun is a bold statement.

Tls

Edited by tlshores