Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-35

ErikW

I shot this one Sunday for the first time in over a year. Had a nice, solid run, though I felt a little awkward in the low left position and called a hoper on one head shot. The reloads felt nice and clean, which was a problem before. Reloading while moving left to right on your knees can be difficult.

Anyway, it felt like a solid, high A class run.

2 Warren, Erik 25 M Limited 84 0 14.71 5.7104 86.5547 96.17%

Turns out that is a pretty quick time so it's a low M class run. I think I only dropped one C on each of the left and right targets, but I had more than a few Bs in the top target, including the hoper that was well within there.

I wasn't trying to burn the stage down. All I was doing was watching the front sight, going for As on the side targets and staying in the upper A/B zone of the top target. Funny how you can end up fast trying to be accurate.

Anyway, there has always been some debate about the best way to shoot this thing. The kneeling-scooting reload kills most people's runs. I'm wondering if maybe it's better to shoot from one of the low positions first. You'll be a little slower on the first shot, but you will be reloading going from kneeling to standing, then reloading going from standing to kneeling. I realized this after I shot it top-left-right.

Has anybody shot this one very well? Or seen somebody shoot it well? Or at least seen somebody move through it well?

One thing I saw everybody do was shoot the top target second in each pass. Nein, nein! OK, you can do that with a foo-foo gun's dot sight. With a Limited gun, you almost always want to shoot low targets first and work your way up. If you shoot top-down, your rear sight blade (and your slide, and your wrists, and your arms) are going to block your vision of the lower targets and it will take you longer to acquire them. On this stage, I went left-right-top, which has the added advantage, for me, of putting similar shots together before the head shot.

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/cm99-35.pdf

Edited by sperman
Broken Link

Shot this for the first time ever on Saturday.  Not one you want to try and burn down.

Open   14.51  79points  5.4445 hf

Not sure how this one will turn out overall.  I was so made on my last shot I did not follow through and pulled a D hit.  I was ready to get up out of the awkward position.

I shot this top,left, right.  It just felt the most comfortable to me.  I found also that if I placed my right knee down and sat back on my heals I could see all the targets without have to turn the gun or stick my gun through the port.  I could have done a little better but I kinda wiffed when I went to grab a mag.  

I shot this one a couple of months ago, in a hurry. We put on a special and all of the ROs shot early. People were anxious to get going so I just blew though it without a care and actually did very, very well. Shot the top of the triangle first, went to kneeling on the left. Then being 6'4" I just went to my side and shot the right port rollover prone.

• 8 months later...

I shot this one last weekend.  This should knock of a 60% classifier that has been keeping me out of A-class.

Glock 35.  Limited.  I borrowed an Uncle Mike's holster (my holster was set up for my Open gun.)

82 points in 14.01 seconds, for a hit factor of 5.8529

That should come in around 90.045%

I tried to setup as far left, and back, as possible.  I shot the top port first.  I then went to the left port, with my right knee down.  This allowed me push off with my left leg when I went to the right port.

I shot this classifer before, about two years ago...my first year.  That one scored a blistering 28.674%.  I think that is about the time I went looking for answers...found Brain's book.  Thanks BE!

(Edited by Flexmoney at 1:35 pm on Aug. 15, 2002)

• 2 months later...

Minor sucks!

I just shot this one again in Production (glock 17).

I don't know if it was me or the new load I was field testing...but that A-zone in the head sure could be bigger.  ;)

I had 6 Alpha on the left target, 5 Alpha & 1 Charlie on the right target... On the middle target, I shot a nice little group of 5 into the center of the B zone...half- way between the A-zone and the Charlie (the sixth shot made it into the Alpha)

My time was a little slower than my Limited major run (I think it was still under 15 seconds).  I was going for those hits on the head of T2.  

Minor sucks.  

(Edited by Flexmoney at 8:57 pm on Nov. 17, 2002)

Welcome to minor, Flex.

I shot this same time as flex, very conservatively. I forget the exact time, in the 15-17 range.

I set it up again (a rough approximation) in practice to try different target engagement orders and burned an 11.15 going left, right, top.

At the match I shot left top right, and regretted it right after. (actually during)

With the open gun I blasted a 9.59, got warmed up and then got the 11.15 with the Beretta. Points varied, but usually mostly B's on top, 1 or 2 c's on the left and all a's on the right.

I love shooting the sights right after the dot...the front sight becomes the dot and just bounces around perfectly for me after I'm grooved in on the dot.

Now if I could only shoot it that well when it matters...

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Production run results...

Minor sucks.  

Match score were posted.

Farris, Kyle   U  Prod  78   0  14.93   5.2244  

This should come in nationally at 84.605% in Production.

Wow, this is a good one to play 'what if' on.  And it is a great lesson about knowing your equipment.  I took a gun I don't shoot too often...and I feed it a brand new load.  This resulted in 5 Bravo hits (nice group) that could have been Alphas.  With the 10 points that hitting Alphas instead of Bravos...this run would have 95.452% nationally.

This should answer a question posted in another thread.  Go for the A-box.  Not getting Alpha hits was the difference between a GM level run and a high A-class run for me here.

(Of course, a GM would likley know where the gun/ammo was hitting.)

• 1 month later...

Minor sucks. (Amen Flex)

Shot 72 points in about 15 seconds in Production using a G35. Shot a nice little group of 5 shots an inch below the A zone on the middle target, 2 C's on the right and 2 C's on the left. Not too bad for only shooting 300 rounds through the gun. Now the Limited run was a different story... I shot through in about 14, and managed to crunch 3 misses on the head. Yowza, gotta see the sights.

Production run HF was about 4.8, looks to be 77% nationally. Didn't even bother remembering the Limited run.

(Edited by TheItlianStalion at 2:44 pm on Dec. 22, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

I am an "A" class shooter.  I shot this one in December:

85 pts., 14.24 seconds, HF - 5.9691 (Limited)

I started through the upper port, then went low left, then right.  I shot the targets left to right - low left, center, low-right.  I think its an easier index.  I think going left to right and then up takes too much time.  Also, I never went to a knee.  I just squatted so I could move quicker.

A Master Class shooter shot after me and he shot:

84 pts, 12.16, HF - 6.9078.  

He shot it the same way just faster.  He might have the fastest HF I have seen on this one.  I have not seen better than a 6.5800.  Has anyone seen better in Limited?  Take care.

Jack

• 4 months later...

I got to shoot it today. Oh lucky me, shooting my C-more in the driving rain. Not good with a dot gun. But I'm pleased, accuracy was a bit low but that's OK.

I shot it TOP/Left/Right. For me that's best. Being old, fat and a bum knee I'd prefer to turn it up at the beginning, then drop to the left side, then crab step to the right while snatching a reload for the final array. It's just easier for me than to go from a low left to high right position.

A - OPEN - Maj.

80 PTs // 12.78 // 6.259 HF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Nothing special at all. I was shooting for points, making sure I was in the sweet-spot before each shot. I did do A LOT of side to-side movement though. I didn't shoot around the barricade, I shot on the sides of it. Meaning, my body was positioned in the center of each of the side ports. This meant I actually got up and moved to the other position while relaoding. Some guys stayed in the center and reached around the barricade. That was probably faster, but the strain on your body to assume those positions makes accurate shots more difficult I think.

I was focused on NOT shooting a no-shoot. I just wanted a clean, decent run.

I was a second slower than a few of the guys, but I had more points.

I finished 3rd or 4th on that stage at our match. One guy did it in 12.xx with 83 points!!

• 2 months later...