Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting First Steel Match

1911jerry

Thanks to the wonderful advice for us newer shooters. I am going to shoot a steel match and would like to pick the brains of those who are successful at actually hitting the poppers and plates :)

I will be shooting 10 round mags out of a G34, 147 gr bullets, vv 320, mixed hs, making 131 pf. Blade tech doh holster and CR speed set up.

If you could impart one little jewell for me to think about, I would be gratefull.

I have already gotten such wisdom as:

Make sure you hit them

Don't miss

Slow is fast

breathe through your nose

Don't close your eyes

So anything you can think of will go into the collective memory and will be used at the appropriate moment of panic.

Thanks

Jerry

Edited by 1911jerry

Don't wait for the sound of the steel before moving to next target. Trust your sight picture and trigger pull.

Program the draw. Example I get into stance and put my left hand above shoulder, right on the grip. I then rotate my arm from the elbow up to ready position. Grip should be simple rotate back down.

On the draw look at the exact spot on the first plate you want to hit. Hit it then worry about the next one.

Look at the array and decide beforehand what pattern/movements you are going to make. Economy of motion is the goal

When you declare your ready be sure you are :)

Finally.... Have fun. Steel shooting is one of my favorite things to do.

Edited by standles

I shot my second steel match a couple weeks ago and learned a lot. The surrender draw is HUGE, the faster you can draw the better but you can't rush it and miss the first target. Cutting a tenth off your draw will put people behind you before the first shot is fired in the match.

Steel is all about being fast, smooth, and calling EVERY SHOT. In IPSC a sloppy shot here and there won't kill you, but on steel it will.

You get one throwaway run, if you mangle one pass don't sweat it. If you get flustered you will mangle run after run. Relax, shoot smooth and accurately.

Put down 4 smooth solid runs and then cut loose on the 5th run. You might as well see what happens when you push on a steel stage and with 4 good ones in the bag it won't matter if you crash and burn.

Don't let the other shooter's speed get inside your head. You can only hit the targets as fast as you can.

Pre-index all the steel in front of you putting your best shooting stance on the most difficult shot. Then, move your hips and line your holster up for the draw. Don't move your feet after you've done a pre-index.

Sweep all the steel with one shot and then come back and pick up any misses (unless there's a stop plate).

No pressure either. Remember, the steel's not shooting back!!! :lol: Now if you want a little pressure, find a man on man steel match. Then you'll feel like a real gunfighter!!! That's real shooting in its purest form

Add this to all the other tips above and have a blast!

Edited by BlackSabbath

Don't look over the sights. As mentioned there is a tendacy to look at your hits and the ringing steel without verifying what you need to see as an acceptable sight picture. Its so very easy to get stuck in a "pattern" and repeat this over and over.

If you want the real secret shoot it like paper. Or shoot paper like steel.