Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Toying With The Idea Of A Glock Open Gun

Revopop

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Normally every time I have a question I just end up finding it on a search, but this time I'd like to be more specific. I'm thinking about "opening" my G35. I don't want to permanently modify the gun, and I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible, mostly to avoid reliability issues. What does everyone recommend? I'm starting from nothing here, my Glock is bone stock and I use a Blade-Tech injection molded belt holster. I'd like a ported barrel, but I don't know what kind. I'd like to use a C-More sight, but I don't know what kind of mount to use. I'd like to get a big magwell and extended mag baseplates, but I don't know what kind to get. Ideally I'd like to be able to shoot open and then swap a few key items off and shoot limited later in the day. I'd also like recommendations for a speed holster and mag carriers. I use a Bianchi outer belt and will probably be getting the inner belt to go with it soon. I'm not convinced that I need to do anything to the trigger, but I will if enough people can tell me from their real world experience that a super-light trigger job is worth the hassle. I've been shooting USPSA for less than a year and now that I've got the fundamentals down pretty well I'm starting to think more about specialized equipment. Any advice from those more experienced than me would be greatly appreciated.

CR-Speed mag pouches, belt and holster would be my choice. They are hard to beat. SJC makes an awesome magwell. That is what I use. The problem with using a C-more is that the mounts usually sit so low you need to modify the ejection port. That is why I initially went with the J-Point. But Carver mounts makes a "hunter" model that supposedly sits high enough as to not interfer with the ejection and or iron sights. That way all you would have to do is take off the mount and you are ready to shoot Limited or Limited 10! :) For mag basepads you would probably want to go with Taylor Freelance as they offer the most in capacity. Otherwise I prefer Arrendondo slightly over Dawson's. I have seen a couple of people have problems with the Dawsons and the Arrendondo's are cheaper. Best prices are currently at Brownell's I believe. You can check out the product above at the links below:

http://www.s-j-customs.com/

http://www.cpwsa.com/s_&_j_customs.htm

http://www.crspeed.co.za/

http://bb-enterprise.biz/

http://www.taylorfreelance.com/

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/

Hope this helps!! B)

I started with an extra 35 slide, put a KKM comp barrel in it and put a j-point on it. Shot it a couple of times and liked it. I used my limited G35 frame and just switched back and forth. The limited gun is heavy though and I prefered a lighter open gun so I assembled this with parts from SJC.

Nick

Well the picture isn't cooperating so go to the "Stealth Open Glock" post if you want.

P1010055_JPG.htm

Edited by nphd2000

Build it on a 17 so you use the neener cartridge. At major PF it will work a comp way, way better than a .40 round will. The mag capacity will be higher that way too. Remember, Open is about performance and the .40 ain't got no performance at the compensator.

Good to see you discovered the place gop. I also toyed with the idea. If I do, I will probly go with a G17.

www.glockmeister.com

www.topglock.com

www.dawsonprecision.com

Those links ought to get the drooling started.

Does anyone know if you can convert a G35 to 9mm? If so you could hang a comp on the end and have porting with a semi bull barrel.

Queston. How would barrel porting itself with the factory slide cutout work compared to a comp on the end of barrel? I'm looking at the G34/G35 open/steel package that Tom Novak builds by just using a KKM ported barrel with the factory slide cutout, for my G34, and would like to shoot major powerfeed. How would the G35 run in this package?

Are the shorter guns such as the G17 and G22 more preferred with comps on the end of barrel for building open guns? I've done searches here and read that the G34 in major 9 doesn't work so well. The G35 seems to be able to to it though based on the "Stealth Open Glock".

Ports alone will shoot flat but not help wth recoil. A comp will tame recoil too, but be a tad less efficient on muzzle flip. This why lots of open guns have ports and comps.

A 9mm open glock will hold down the muzzle better than a 40cal and will not torque your hand [dot going up & to the right] as much as a 40cal either. But it will slap you in the hand more than a 40.

The 40 has "soft" going for it, as well as cheap brass. Not as hard on your ears either. The 9major has "flat" going for, along with the same cheap brass and also bullets that are cheaper than 40cal. The 9x19 at Major feeds and ejects just fine out of a Glock as long as the brass isn't hitting the scope mount. Just make sure the extractor moves in & out of the slide freely each time you clean the gun - make sure it isn't sticking to the slide.

I would not advise putting a 9mm conversion barrel into a 40cal slide for anything other than messing around at your practice sessions. It's going to bite you in a match because the breechface is too big & you have the chamber [alone] to hold the cartridge against the extractor. By the time the slide is back far enough to eject the spent brass, everything has already gone loose as a goose & you'll be lucky to get the case out of the gun.

This is an issue already for guys shooting 9x19 in a 38super slide and it's been a headache for a couple members on here shooting 9x19 in a 40 Glock slide.

I have a recipe that shoots pretty flat in a G35 open .40, 135 berrys with 8.4 grns of VVN350 (My friends think it shoots flat too). It's a little expensive but works pretty good. I never shot an open gun before so I don't realy have much experience and I chickened out building my G17 open 9mm so I can't compare the 2. Someday I may give the 9mm another try, but for now the .40 will do.

WOW! I really don't know jack about open guns. I was thinking I'd just use a ported barrel, didn't know there was a difference between that and a compensator. The idea was to slowly customize my G35 into a kicka$$ limited gun then add a ported barrel and an optic and suddenly have an open gun. I've got a Wilson KZ45 on layaway that I plan to use for L10 though, and that's making the SJC Stealth package look much more appealing. I guess my major concern is in drilling the frame for the optics mount. The reason is I saw a SIG 220 at the local gun store that had a ported barrel and a spare factory barrel with an optic mounted. It was great price for a gun with all that, but with a single stack mag it's useless for open, and if you took the optic off you had big ugly holes in the frame. Suddenly it's not such a good deal anymore. I'd like to retain most of the value of my Glock. I know added features add value, but around here there's not much of a market for raceguns. Sorry I'm so longwinded, I'm just thinking out loud. Further opinions on the realism/unrealism of my stated course of action are appreciated.

Right now about all we would can to do to our G35s is get into reloading, trigger job, magwell, mag estensions, better sights and some grip tape. That is about it for limited. Are you planning on getting a race holster? If you do I'd like to try it out.

After that it would be a clean slate for an open gun.

WOW! I really don't know jack about open guns. I was thinking I'd just use a ported barrel, didn't know there was a difference between that and a compensator. The idea was to slowly customize my G35 into a kicka$$ limited gun then add a ported barrel and an optic and suddenly have an open gun. I've got a Wilson KZ45 on layaway that I plan to use for L10 though, and that's making the SJC Stealth package look much more appealing. I guess my major concern is in drilling the frame for the optics mount. The reason is I saw a SIG 220 at the local gun store that had a ported barrel and a spare factory barrel with an optic mounted. It was great price for a gun with all that, but with a single stack mag it's useless for open, and if you took the optic off you had big ugly holes in the frame. Suddenly it's not such a good deal anymore. I'd like to retain most of the value of my Glock. I know added features add value, but around here there's not much of a market for raceguns. Sorry I'm so longwinded, I'm just thinking out loud. Further opinions on the realism/unrealism of my stated course of action are appreciated.

I got the first Stealth Glocks that S&J Customs Made, & I couldn't be happier with it. I chronoed my limited load in my open Stealth and it ran fine, but I liked the way it felt with .2gr more powder, it seemed to run a litte flatter. If you don't reload WWB makes major real EZ.