Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying With Ar's And Ammo

I've flown to several pistol matches and I'm very familiar with TSA procedures for handguns and 40 cal. ammo.

This summer I'm flying to MT with my AR. I have a rifle case that I want to put my AR and a .22 revolver in(Will TSA have a problem with the pistol in the rifle case?). I know this will count as one of my 2 checkable bags. Anybody out there have experience with this?

The TSA web site only talks about small arms ammo being ok to put in bags. Will putting .223 ammo (under 11 pounds) in my bag be an issue?

here some info for ya.......yes it happened to me...and put it all in a rifle case if you do travel.......they took my big pistol case to the bathroom and broke into it. This would be a little harder with a rifle case. Yes .223 is ok in the bag (small arms ammo)....just don't exceed the 11lbs.

I would STRONGLY advise you take out the extra insurance. The airlines only cover so much (usually $2500/bag....and you must show proof of purchase when you file for anything over $100).

I had a STI EDGE and my carry glock stolen by TSA/FSS. and the airline bag reimbursment helped, but did not cover it all.

And just a note to make everyone happy.......there where 4 people involved....3 got fired......1 of the 3 got 2yrs probation......the TSA guy is still working.......I feel so much safer.

Yes there was ammo in the case with the firearms....which is legal.....and for 48hours after the lift of my guns.....the police taking the report and TSA taking a report.....neither seemed overly concerned that there firearms and ammunition accessable to the secure area of the airport........pretty scarey.

All I have to say.....it take the max insurance you can.....and you better have the receipts to prove the values.........

I work for a airline and will not travel with my guns anymore.......after all the crap that I had to go through....

Good Luck

Edited by Helmut

If possible, ship the ammo to yourself ahead of time. 11 pounds isn't much ammo, and you pay extra for baggage over the (whatever they decide it the new limit) standard-weight baggage.

Just ship the ammo addressed to you, at the street address of where you're going or staying.

I travel alot with guns, both to 3 gun matches and for hunting. I have never had a problem.

I use a case by Nal-pak called Tuff-pak. Doesnt look like a gun case, maybe that helps. Second, label the out side of your case: Fragile! Survey Equipment, or as mine says in yellow spray paint with a stencil : Fragile! Medical Equipment. This keeps the losers from wondering whats inside or intentionally abusing your bag.

The biggest problem I have experienced is a not fully informed baggage check lady who insisted that the Firearms Declaration tag (you have to sign this stating the guns are unloaded) had to go on the outside of the bag. No! It goes inside. Dont take no for an answer on this. If you have to, ask for a TSA agent supervisor to come to the counter.

Print a copy of the TSA guidelines from their web page and a copy of the airlines policy and bring it with you. I have had to educate airline and TSA staff on their own policies more than once.

No handloads. If they ask and you have them, lie. They wont know the difference and couldnt tell if they did. Have ammo in factory boxes or MTM plastic cases, seal these all with duct tape so they dont come apart. TSA pages says cases like MTM are fine, "other containers specifically designed to transport small amounts of ammo" some TSA/airline folks think factory boxes only.

Main thing is smile, be polite and dess well. If you tell the person at the entrance to the check bag line that you have some firearms to check they will ussually move you to the head of the line.

B

PS. I would just put the pistol in a soft case inside the rifle case. This is more to protect the gun than to satisfy them. I have mixed guns on all occasions and it has never been an issue.

Edited by Brazos

The airlines are getting a lot tighter on bag size/weight too. Some don't consider guns as sporting goods anymore and will charge you oversize and overweight when they can. I have about given up on flying with guns too.

You can ship them to yourself at your destination though. Just as long as you are the shipper, and the receiver (you don't have to be there, just an adult signature), as long as you are the one to open the package at the other end. Same for the return, just ship to yourself. That way you know in advance that you gear is in place before you step on the plane.

The rules can differ from airline to airline, but with Southwest the rifle case with all 3 guns in it does not count as extra baggage so check with the airline first. They told me it was "sporting equipment" and excempt from the baggage count. Kind of like a surfboard I guess.

I also put the pistol in a soft case, then strap everything down with the supplied velcro tie downs inside the hard long gun case.

Don't exceed the ammo weight limit. They weighed mine and I had to leave 4 boxes of shotshells at the airport. "Could I pick them up on my return?", I asked. Absolutely not. They will be destroyed.

About 5 flights so far with nothing more than minor inconveniences.

Although ammo does not have to be in a separate case, not all TSA agents know this. Also, when you are interested in getting to your flight without delay, do not expect the TSA agents to be appreciate of any free traning seminar you may wish to offer on the TSA policy regarding this issue. It's easier to just pack it in a different piece of luggage.

I have never had SW, American or Continental ask to weigh my ammo. It is usually in the bottom of my Tuff-pak and scattered around in my other checked bags. You dont even have to declare ammo anywhere in any checked bag. The most I have had is an agent ask "is all ammo in factory boxes?" Yes!

I do leave one box of ammo at the open end of the case in plain sight for them to see, this seems to satisfy thier curiosity about the ammo. If some of those people knew how many rounds I had in all my luggage they might have had a stroke... Dont let your bags get overweight so you can aviod the charges. My rifle case is almost always overweight so I throw extra ammo in it. I am usually charged $25 if over 50 pounds. It is another $25 if over 75 pounds.

In the interest of full disclosure I flew 7 round trips with two or more firearms in 2005. 3 so far this year.

B

• 3 weeks later...

Where does the ammo weight restriction to 11 pounds come from? I can't find it anywhere in the TSA websight, and the airline website says "11 lbs on international flights; 50 lbs on domestic flights". Do some airlines use the international rules for domestic flights? Am I missing something somewhere?

The ammo weight regulations come from each airline. The TSA has no weight restrictions on ammo only packaging restrictions. I know most airlines have decided on 11 lbs. However Frontier has no ammo restrictions and they were the first airline that I have encountered in a while with counter personnel who knew what they were doing as far as checking in guns.

The 11-lb limit is an international air travel limit. All the airlines that fly internationally use that same limit as policy inside the US because they're lazy and it's much easier to have one limit for every traveller.

A few of the airlines like Frontier and Alaska that don't go international have different limits on because they can. That's cool, so long as it's above 11 lbs.