Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Long Range Caliber?

ewokUk

newgunphotos0094af.th.jpg newgunphotos0089zz.th.jpg

This is my .338-378 Weatherby Accumark. It shoots very well at the longer ranges out to 1,000 yards. The gun is at it's best with the 300 Grain Sierra Matchking and a very healthy dose of WC-872 Ball Powder. The 1 in 10" twist of the Accumarks Stainless Steel barrel stabilizes this bullet very well. I topped it with a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X 40 MM in Leupold rings. I'm happy with the combination thus far. The Weatherby Accubrake the gun came with cuts the recoil down to about the level of my unbraked .300 Winchester Mag. Model 700. Bill T.

Edited by Bill T

6mmBR

http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

check it out

I believe a guy shot a 4 inch group at 1000yds with his 6mmbr.

and that 68 gr bullet dropped how far at 1000 yards...my 300 H&H, 165 gr at 3080 falls over 12 FEET at 1000 yds...wonder what the wind and gravity do to the 6BR?

They normally use Sierra 107's or Berger 105 VLD's. Not 68 grain benchrest bullet. Turns out this shooter liked to be different, and used Hornady 105 A-Max bullets. I guess it depends if you only need to put a hole in paper.

Northrop/Grumman makes the best long range caliber, although I'm not sure what that caliber might be. I do know that it has wings, a motor and a guidance package to die for. You can fire it and forget it and it just keeps going untill it arrives. It is called a cruise missle :D

wonder what the wind and gravity do to the 6BR?

As someone who has used the 6mm BR w/ 107's for F-Class out to 1k... about the same, or slightly less, than a .308 Win w/ 155gr bullets. In my situation, a 6mm BR pushed a 107gr SMK (BC 0.527 or so) @ ~2700fps, for a drop of about 34 minutes from 100 to 1k under normal conditions, and drifts about 8 minutes in a 10mph cross wind. A 155gr SMK (BC .450) @ 2950fps drops about 31-32 minutes, but drifts as much as 9 minutes in a 10mph wind. A number of people hot-rod the 6mm BR and get 2900+ out of it w/ the 105-107gr pills... the numbers look better then, but it still gets beat up by the 6.5-284 pretty bad. Another F-Class shooter and I would duke it out, 6mm BR w/ 107gr SMK @ 2700 vs 6.5-284 w/ 142gr SMK (BC .595) @ 2950 down at Rattlesnake over the last year or so... When the wind would stop (like one day, ever) and not blow like a tornado and switch and whatnot... I could hang with him pretty good. Once it started blowing... I was happy to stay in the black, period. He has (quite) a few more years experience in the wind than I do, so maybe I'll get him eventually...

In the end, for KD stuff like F-class, drop doesn't matter, wind drift does.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a recoil wimp; some of the big 'thumpers' sound pretty intriguing... not sure I like the idea of getting only 70-80 shots per pound of powder (or less!) along w/ getting smacked around by the gun...