Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Index Problem

So I just got done doing about 500 rounds. 300 on the wifes 650 and 200 on my 550. I have to say that I think this little gadget (Star Bearing) might help me.

For some reason the shell plate only "Clicks" into place on 1 of the 4 positions. The other 3 don't. So the priming of the brass is just a little off a lot of the time. I use mixed brass and the problem is worse on one type of brass but it happens on all the types I have eventually. It is really annoying to have to fiddle with the shell plate to get the primer to go in smooth.

I even took it apart after 50 rounds and cleaned it all really good. All that really did was make it smoother to turn. But if I get the shell plate tight enough to "Click" into each position then it is pretty tight and I almost can't turn it.

I thought about drilling out the holes in the shell plate so that the ball would push a little more into the holes but I figured if I messed it up then the whole indexing would be off.

Do you think the star bearing might help me? Does anyone else have this problem? If so what was your solution.

I guess that is one more thing to love about the 650 is the real consistent indexing from the auto-index system... :( Oh well perhaps someday I too will have all the nice toys my wife has... ;) Better yet perhaps a 1050 with the payment plan... :wub:

Ira

I think you need to check the shell plate using the timing tool that I didn't knew existed until a few months a go. At least that is where I would start.

It made a world of difference in my productivity.

Along with a new bell crank! :lol:

FM

So I just got done doing about 500 rounds. 300 on the wifes 650 and 200 on my 550. I have to say that I think this little gadget (Star Bearing) might help me.

For some reason the shell plate only "Clicks" into place on 1 of the 4 positions. The other 3 don't. So the priming of the brass is just a little off a lot of the time. I use mixed brass and the problem is worse on one type of brass but it happens on all the types I have eventually. It is really annoying to have to fiddle with the shell plate to get the primer to go in smooth.

I even took it apart after 50 rounds and cleaned it all really good. All that really did was make it smoother to turn. But if I get the shell plate tight enough to "Click" into each position then it is pretty tight and I almost can't turn it.

I thought about drilling out the holes in the shell plate so that the ball would push a little more into the holes but I figured if I messed it up then the whole indexing would be off.

Do you think the star bearing might help me? Does anyone else have this problem? If so what was your solution.

I guess that is one more thing to love about the 650 is the real consistent indexing from the auto-index system... :( Oh well perhaps someday I too will have all the nice toys my wife has... ;) Better yet perhaps a 1050 with the payment plan... :wub:

Ira

My question is: When did it start doing this? If you've had the shell plate platform off for some reason, then you'll have to use the alignment tool FrontMan is talking about to properly align the platform to the tool head. Note: The shell plate detent problem is not related to tool head alignment, so fix the loose shell plate before even fooling with the alignment as the alignment is probably good if you have'nt disturbed the platform. On to the shell plate.There's a real fine line between too tight to turn and being able to turn with very little slop. Loosen the lock screw on the ram, undo the star and lube the shoulder of the bolt ( the part of the bolt that rides on the star ). I use a little dab of grease. Absolutely no lube on the underside of the shell plate/platform and make sure it is perfectly clean, along with the ball/spring. Put it all back together and hand tighten the bolt while jiggling the star then tighten the lock screw on the ram. If it's too tight, loosen the ram's lock screw and back off the bolt ever so slightly, tighten the ram's lock screw and check it again. You may have to do this several times to get it just right. Note: Don't forget the ram's lock screw or you'll loosen/tighten the star bolt when you rotate the star. Hope that helps, and remember "Don't suffer in silence". Call Dillon if this doesn't work. Those guys are great.

Bronson7

My question is: When did it start doing this? If you've had the shell plate platform off for some reason, then you'll have to use the alignment tool FrontMan is talking about to properly align the platform to the tool head. Note: The shell plate detent problem is not related to tool head alignment, so fix the loose shell plate before even fooling with the alignment as the alignment is probably good if you have'nt disturbed the platform. On to the shell plate.There's a real fine line between too tight to turn and being able to turn with very little slop. Loosen the lock screw on the ram, undo the star and lube the shoulder of the bolt ( the part of the bolt that rides on the star ). I use a little dab of grease. Absolutely no lube on the underside of the shell plate/platform and make sure it is perfectly clean, along with the ball/spring. Put it all back together and hand tighten the bolt while jiggling the star then tighten the lock screw on the ram. If it's too tight, loosen the ram's lock screw and back off the bolt ever so slightly, tighten the ram's lock screw and check it again. You may have to do this several times to get it just right. Note: Don't forget the ram's lock screw or you'll loosen/tighten the star bolt when you rotate the star. Hope that helps, and remember "Don't suffer in silence". Call Dillon if this doesn't work. Those guys are great.

Bronson7

I think you are right I am going to call Dillon. I broke the bottom crank on my press before and so I have the alignment tool and did the alignment back when I had it all apart. I have to say that it has done this pretty much forever but before it was like 1 is 100-200. Now it seems like 1 in 5. The other problem might have been that the 650 is just so awsome to use that the 550 just pissed me off... :lol:

Who knows. I have also tried to lube it but it started to collect stuff and got all dirty so this time I went without lube. It turns real easy it just does not seem to "index". When I lubed it up before I felt that I could get it tighter but with the lube still turn it. That really did not work... Thus when I saw this other thread with the bearing it got me thinking...

Anyway, I am going to call Dillon on Monday perhaps. I just don't have the time this weekend. :-(

Thanks,

Ira

I think you need to check the shell plate using the timing tool that I didn't knew existed until a few months a go. At least that is where I would start.

FM

What timing tool?

Bronson7

I think you are right I am going to call Dillon. I broke the bottom crank on my press before and so I have the alignment tool and did the alignment back when I had it all apart. I have to say that it has done this pretty much forever but before it was like 1 is 100-200. Now it seems like 1 in 5. The other problem might have been that the 650 is just so awsome to use that the 550 just pissed me off... :lol:

Who knows. I have also tried to lube it but it started to collect stuff and got all dirty so this time I went without lube. It turns real easy it just does not seem to "index". When I lubed it up before I felt that I could get it tighter but with the lube still turn it. That really did not work... Thus when I saw this other thread with the bearing it got me thinking...

Anyway, I am going to call Dillon on Monday perhaps. I just don't have the time this weekend. :-(

Thanks,

Ira

Iweiny, that aftermarket thrust bearing really isn't necessary. Save your money. It really sounds to me that you're missing that "sweet spot" when you back off the star bolt. Just a hair of adjustment is all it takes. Of couse I'm assuming you havn't modified the detent ball spring or are using a different non-Dillon spring. Anyway, hope you get it taken care of. Don't let that 650 cast shadows on your 550 :) . The 550 is a fine machine machine.

Bronson7

The 550 is a fine machine machine.

+ 10 to that. There's no reason it shouldn't index perfectly. And there's no reason why a call to Dillon shouldn't get your 550 back on track.

;)

1 800 223-4570

Dillon will hook you up. Call 'em :) Every time I've had an issue w/ my press, and I've spent more than 10 minutes trying to figure it out, I've kicked myself for not calling them sooner...

FM

What timing tool?

The thing I thought you were supposed to use to pound the pins out with! :D

Dillion will send you one FOC! :P

FM

FM

What timing tool?

The thing I thought you were supposed to use to pound the pins out with! :D

Dillion will send you one FOC! :P

FM

:blink: