Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips That Work Best W/comp 3 Speedloader

Albert

Question for those that use speedloaders.

What grips do you prefer/or have experienced that work best with the Safariland Comp 3 speedloaders. I have a S&W 19-4 with the stock grips and they don't allow clearance for the Comp 3s. I'm thinking about the Jerry Miculeks. What are your favorites?

-Albert

I've used both the Hogue Monogrip (rubber version) and the Pachmayr Gripper's on my S&W Model 10. Both styles of grips worked using Safariland Comp III speedloaders.

The only problems I noted were caused (IMHO) by my handling of the speedloader. Using my left hand to insert the speedloader (I'm left-handed) sometimes I would bind the speedloader up by trying to put the rounds into the cylinder at an angle. The outer rim of the speedloader (where the base of the cartridges are held)sometimes seemed to get stuck against the top portion of the Hogue grips. I didn't seem to have that problem with the Pachmayr Grippers.

So now my K and L frames are wearing Pachmayr's, but YMMV

I have the Houge grips on my 19. I took the file to the grips to relieve the area that was interfering with the empties coming out as well as the Comp III ' s.

Edited by warpspeed

Albert, On my K frames I have used the Old Davis grips (rubber) and Hogue Mono with the top part that extends upward hacked off. On the L and N frames there is a little more room to play with and straight Hogue mono grips works well. Also you might want to look at your cylinder release. The stock ones on the K frames sometimes were in the way at the bottom of the release itself. I have introduced them to the grinder wheel a time or two.

Albert, On my K frames I have used the Old Davis grips (rubber) and Hogue Mono with the top part that extends upward hacked off. On the L and N frames there is a little more room to play with and straight Hogue mono grips works well. Also you might want to look at your cylinder release. The stock ones on the K frames sometimes were in the way at the bottom of the release itself. I have introduced them to the grinder wheel a time or two.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try the Hogue Monogrip and work on modifying it.

Bubber, I'll check the cylinder release. Although, this will be my IDPA SSR machine and I only plan to modify the grip, sights and get a trigger job for the monster double action pull it has.

-Albert

Albert - You can replace the old-style factory release with the new one. I've done that on all of mine. Gil Hebard Guns (309.289.2700) is closing out the stainless version for $8.95 each.

Question for those that use speedloaders.

What grips do you prefer/or have experienced that work best with the Safariland Comp 3 speedloaders. I have a S&W 19-4 with the stock grips and they don't allow clearance for the Comp 3s. I'm thinking about the Jerry Miculeks. What are your favorites?

-Albert

On my K-frame I use a set of Pachmyer Gripper's and use Comp 3's.

Even thought the Gripper's are cut for speedloaders I still cut down the left side of the grip for more clearance. For me this grip keeps the gun flat during recoil

For a time I ran a set of Jerry's grips but on the K-frame they seemed to me to be very jump, even with skateboard tape. I had previousely used those grips on an L-frame and worked well for that frame but it just didn't play well for the smaller k-frame.