Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need To Turn Para Ordnance To Modified Suggestions?

shooterbenedetto

hello shooter experts, i have a limited stainless paraordnance in .040 and would

like to turn it into modified gun division. i have invested a trigger drop in to 2lbs, have

(2) 170mm and (3) 140mm sti para mag. and ice magwell. do i build the gun from this or

do i sell it and get a long dust cover sti and build one similar to sv modified gun( love that gun) i wonder if it shoots flat?

1) what would be cheaper to go.

2)should i build it in 9mm or .40 cal

3) i have a lot of 9mm (15k) / no .40 bullets but have a lot of brass in .40

4)im in california so, chances of me finding long dust cover sti are slim.

5) i have $500 to $750 to spend now.

so, if i do this, i get to shoot in open modified division and at least i would have an open backup gun.

any suggestions would be appreciated...

My 2 cents, if you "want" something get it. I wouldn't be happy dumping the $ it would take to get the Para modifed. The gun would have little resale value. I would sell it and the buy the one it sounds like you really want.

I'm not in the US, so I may be wrong here. As far as I know, there is no modified division in USPSA (at least not in my version of USPSA rules book). You will probably end up in Open division in the US (modified in international IPSC matches).

If you want to run in modified, your gun would have to meet the IPSC modified rules e.g it will have to fit in the IPSC "box" (225mmx150mmx45mm). It probably won't do that with the dawson ice magwell ( too wide). And you'll have to get 126 mm mags (no other mags will fit in the box).

The minimum caliber for major loads is .40 S&W.

And, I think rebuilding a Limited Para to meet the spesifications in modified will be a very costy project.

What kind of optics do you plan to use? Many modified shooters use C-more or OK. Others use doctor sigths.

Edited by Ameiza

You realize that probably nobody in the US shoots modified, right?

i plan on using c more as im use to it on my open gun. i m currently an A shooter

in open, and i plan to be master class this year. building this gun will make a backup gun

so i can shoot in my local matches. whn my open gun breaks down. who knows, if im good enough, i will compete in international IPSC under modified division. i think i may have a chance since there isnt a lot of competitor in this division.

Cheers from IPSC-Philippines, Here's my reply:

1) what would be cheaper to go. - +1 on the new gun. However, from your posts, I read that you intend to use the modified gun as a back-up. If I may ask, why not just get another open gun and make it to GM? ;)

2) should i build it in 9mm or .40 cal - .40 cal, otherwise you'll be scored minor.

However, if you really want to convert your para or get a new modified gun, here are some suggestions:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...580&hl=modified

A gunsmith here in the Philippines fabricated and welded the long dustcovers to the paras.

Here's, what I shoot:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...pic=32609&st=25

Best regards,

GMV :)

I think there would be nothing wrong with the Para. Spend your money on a sight- wheter a C-More or an OKO, and get a hybrid barrell in .40 installed, or cut the slide and mill some ports. If I were to mill the holes, I would go with the "V" design like the Tanfgolio. If you can get your hands on a Tanfoglio, that might be the way to go, out of the box ready and price is good.

If you are in Kalifornia, where do you plan to travel to shoot Modified? You should be able to turn the Para into an Open gun within the $750 by installing a new barrel with a comp & something like a Doctor or Pride - Fowler that I have been hearing about. I would contact Brian Hawley @ brian@experimentalmachining.com for his ideas on the barrel work.