Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Dawson Sights?

Mark01

I'm setting up my new 35 and the sights are the first order of business. I decided on the Dawson set but I'm undecided on their fixed or adj. models. The fixed front is even lower than the Heinie model, I was told by Dawson. Which I think I would prefer over the larger adj. front and potential holster issues.

What is the consensus on fixed vs adj? Are adj. needed beyond the initial sighting in? With the various issues that can arise during sighting in - shooting low to left, etc - are adj. justified just for this initial purpose?

Any one using the Dawson Fixed setup?

Here is my list of 35 upgrades:

Dawson sights.

RS Trigger Kit

JP magwell alu.

Tungsten capt. guiderod 15lbs. spring

Trugrip or Agrip

THE mag release

KKM barrel

Mag ext.

No particular order.

Appreciate the feedback.

Mark

i'm using the dawson f/o front and rear on a G34. the rear is adjustable. unfortunately using the adjustable rear requires me to use a taller than normal front. i like the adjustable set so i can adjust the sights when i use different loads/bullet combination.

Edited by yoshidaex

i'm using the dawson f/o front and rear on a G34. the rear is adjustable. unfortunately using the adjustable rear requires me to use a taller than normal front. i like the adjustable set so i can adjust the sights when i use different loads/bullet combination.

+1 What he said.

What is the consensus on fixed vs adj? Are adj. needed beyond the initial sighting in? With the various issues that can arise during sighting in - shooting low to left, etc - are adj. justified just for this initial purpose?

Any one using the Dawson Fixed setup?

Appreciate the feedback.

Mark

Mark,

I'm using the Dawson fixed (all black w/ .125 rear notch) on both my G34 and G17 - I prefer this set up to the FO sights - I personally wouldn't change a thing - they are the best fixed sights on the market for a glock, IMO. They shoot point of aim and are fast.

Bryan

Edited by Bryan W

Rumor has it that there is a .105 wide x .300 tall front sight available now.

If I were to do it all over again, this is the front I'd choose.

The .285 tall front doesn't allow much down adjustment on my G34 with the adjustable rear.

The .285 is OK for a G17 etc, however.

BTW, forget the KKM barrel. Save your money for more practice ammo. There is nothing wrong with your stock barrel. It is more accurate than you will ever be.

If you jerk the trigger all guns will shoot left. All of my Glocks have the rear sight in the center of the slide.

Edited by Joe D

I have a glock sight installation tool which I will be using to install the Dawsons. This will also allow for adjustments - left & right. Although not as conveniently as the adj. sights.

Although I don't know how much adj. is going to be required when I begin reloading and testing various loads/bullets. Is this an issue I should be considering?

The KKM barrel is on my want list but it is at the bottom of the list and will probably only end up in my gun when I'm able to start reloading.

Once I set my sights I have never had to move them. You can shoot reloads through your stock barrel. My old G35 had over 100,000 rounds through it. I don't recall firing any factory ammo.

Most folks use a 180 gr. bullet. I have shot West Coast, Rainier, Berry and Zero bullets. Does not seem to make any difference in my gun.

Mark, I've been playing around with the sights on my G34 and G24 lately. I have the Dawson FO front with the target adj rear on my G34. I put the Sveigney (sp)/ warren competition sight (black on black) on my G24. I like them both.

The FO is much easier and faster during target transitions. Just follow the bouncing ball. The black front sight is more accurate, but slower for me to catch a good sight picture during transitions. Its a trade off for me right now. I need to either get more accurate with the FO, or get faster with the black sight. When one or the other happens, I'm picking the better of the two and changing the other.

I'm leaning towards the FO, because I seem shoot better overall with it. I also think fixing my accuracy vs the transitions will be easier to overcome. I also prefer the adj sight. much easier play with after installation to get the pistol shooting accurate. With reloading, you simply reload for feel and PF, then adjust sights to point of impact. One less thing to have to factor into your reloads.

I've owned 5 glocks. They all have shot to the left for me. Every one has the sights, fixed or adj, moved over to the right a little. Almost everyone I know has also had the same issue. It's not really a problem, just a typical atribute to a Glock. They are all accurate, factory barrel or aftermarket KKM.

Get the KKM barrel EARLY on as you set up your G35 if you are planning on reloading. I say this because your brass (I assume you will be saving it) will be better for reloading. KKM chamber is a touch tighter, and more supportive too. I put one in my G24 right away, and it was worth it. If you are not going to save brass initially, it can wait.