Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightened Bolt Carriers Worth It?

KentG

Cant speak for the others but the JP comes with a buffer(red) for use with a standard spring or you can use the buffer/spring for your alum carrier.-------Larry

My rifle has rifle-length gas system with lightened YM carrier, Colt MPZC bolt, red lightened JP buffer and regular GI buffer spring and runs reliably.

I have the Mid-Length gas system on a 16" barrel. The LMOS made a huge difference. I cut about all of the Bolt Bounce. With a Cooley type comp, all recoil is gone! I got the Staineless one and it is 100% reliable. I would say get the JP if you want reliability.

According to the Brownells catalog the Les Baer Slickside is "manufactured without ejection port cover release or forward assist notches." By that statement... no it is not the same as the MSTN/YM carrier.

The MSTN/YM carrier (at least the one I have) pops the dustcover open and has the teeth for the forward assist.

I have the Mid-Length gas system on a 16" barrel. The LMOS made a huge difference. I cut about all of the Bolt Bounce. With a Cooley type comp, all recoil is gone! I got the Staineless one and it is 100% reliable. I would say get the JP if you want reliability.

Mike,

Totally different rifle project. I'm building a 16" plinker for closer stage matches (i.e. club matches where the longest shots are <200 yards). So you found running the full LMOS made a big difference too? No reliability issues of the gas system beating the hell out of the bolt/carrier?

Thanks in advance.

RS,

Yeah, but the Slickside is gutted out a lot. It looks like a nice alternative for a DPMS Lo-Rider that I have laying around back home. I'm going to just pick up the JP SS-LMOS for US3GN. But any and all info on the LBC Slickside is still appreciated.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Mike,

You read my mind. I'm thinking either a featherweight barrel or lightweight SS, fluted. 1:8, w/ BC comp, EOTech and co-witness irons.

Are you (or anyone really for that matter) running an EOTech with the standard post front sight? I'm thinking that this would be alright, but am concerned about it gettin' in the way. I'm thinkin' of running with flip up front and rears.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I ran my EOTech for about 5min w/ the front post 'in the way'. I didn't like it at all. There was just to much going on. I think flip up sights are the way to go when running a dot, it provides a much cleaner sight picture.

Justin

sry for the thread drift

Edited by stingerjg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. So with the lack of being able to get a SS Low Mass Carrier in time for Nationals (Brownell's just told me 7/21 would be the soonest), I wanted to bounce this idea off of y'all.

Les Baer Slickside (i.e. the YM carriers show on page 1) and the JP Buffer system.

Any thoughts?

Rich

I hear that honeycombing a regular bolt carrier will do the same. As long as you can get the LMOS Buffer. We tried to turn a RRA factory bolt and basically destroyed all of the cutters. Looks like honeycombing is the best route to lose to weight. Shoot KurtM a PM. I believe he has tried just about everything with an AR.

Mike

BTW, The Rolling Thunder from Benny Hill is as flat or flatter (is that a word?) then the BC from JP. Not to mention it's always a hoot to shoot the breeze with Benny!!..

I did use carbide. We turned a bolt carrier from bushmaster and it went fine. I'm not sure what RRA does to their carriers (or this one) but it was HARD.. I think there are probably several ways to turn it down or lighten it if the JP is unavailable.

Mike