Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More On Circle Mikes, And On Long Steel

kevin c

One thing I learned on circle mikes is here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25878

Another lesson this weekend at the Golden Bullet:

An array had an activator popper, a single presentation disappearing turner, and two static partials, all at minimum distances. I tried warp speed to hit the popper, sweep the partials and then put two on the turner. Turns out that this was just a bit beyond my ability, and I miked one target. Unfortunately, it was a shot on the statics that I threw in my hurry to get to the turner. That cost me 15 points. Better to have slowed a bit and/or tried a different engagement order and taken a possible circle mike instead.

Another lesson on the same stage, which had six poppers ranging from 15 to 40 yards out, each with a clear presentatioin from the shooting port. Like most, I shot near to far, and had to wait forever to see the last popper go over, and came near to putting extra rounds on it. Better to have shot far to near. Less eye and hold fatigue on the long shots, and the opportunity to clearly see and then make up a miss way out.

I did well on some stages and poorly on others. Guess which this was... :D

Edited by kevin c

Um... (looks around)... Stage 5 too? ;) I had to take a reload on stage 8 even though when I practiced it I was able to manage 6 for 6. I think the fact that I was resting on the barricade with my quite warm loads made the gun do weird things.

Vince

Is the term "Circle-Mike" a Richmond Hot Shots term, or do other places call it that too?

Possibly a Cailfornia (Northern) term because that is all I hear around here. I wonder if it comes from the score sheet where those M's are in a circle instead of the normal square box for scoring?

Ira

It's a California thing, although it's probably not restricted to just California. It's all I've ever heard or called here.

However calling 2C as Poo C is strictly a Richmond thing and is dated back to the late 80's and early 90's when there was a very large Filipino contingent. The first time I heard Mario call that one I almost dropped the scoresheet.

Nolan

Is the term "Circle-Mike" a Richmond Hot Shots term, or do other places call it that too?

Possibly a Cailfornia (Northern) term because that is all I hear around here. I wonder if it comes from the score sheet where those M's are in a circle instead of the normal square box for scoring?

Ira

hahahahahahahahaha...pero