Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Division Open Or Limited

What division do you think a 56 year old shooter would be more competitive in Open or Limited? Why?

A little info: Corrected eye sight good

Have guns for either Division

Normal physical problems bad knee

Have only been shooting pistols for appx 3 years

Was very competitive in skeet (AAA class),trap and sporting clays

( not that that makes any difference in pistol shooting)

Spent several years swapping guns and divisions and getting nowhere

(shot single stack 45, Glock 9mm, S&W 625, SV 40 Limited and 38 SC Open

guns none for more that a couple of months at the time)

Need to make a decision on one gun and one division. Will appreciate all input.

Thanks

Which platform do you enjoy shooting the most? That's the one I would go with. I am going Open because the old eyeballs aren't getting any better and I love the intensity. It doesn't matter if i am more "competitive" in another division if I am not having as much fun.

Do you have more fun shooting one vs. the other?? If so, there's your answer - seriously. If not, here's a couple of other things to consider...

How competitive do you want to be in the division you shoot??

How much does your knee limit your mobility?

Eye sight is a strange thing - eventually, your ability to switch focus between different objects may deteriorate to the point where you may not be able to switch focus from the target to the sights and back very quickly. At that point, you'll likely shoot an Open gun better than a Limited gun. However, until that point, you may find that you're able to be more competitive in Limited. Competitive Open class is a game that has very little tolerance for errors, because the bar is set very high by most Open GMs. Due to this, a lot of people feel that they can be more competitive in Limited.

If you're somewhat physically limited by your knee (ie, you can't move fast), you might consider looking at L-10 or Production. The 10 round divisions require more reloads - and you might find that you can reload while moving and thus keep up with the competition a little bit easier in that way.

There are lots of revolver guys on this forum, too - and that division has a lot of appeal...

What division do you think a 56 year old shooter would be more competitive in Open or Limited? Why?

I'm no expert, but I would think Limited, because movement becomes less of an issue in Lim. Shooting an Open gun is a lot easier, most everyone can shoot well with one, and the hit factors are high. High HF -> time becomes more important -> movement between positions becomes more important -> advantage young athlete-types. I'm not saying it's a huge advantage, but I still think there's definately an advantage. Of course, this is not always the case as it depends on the individual (some older people are VERY fast). As poor vision is not an issue, I'd be inclined towards Limited.

From my experience, I know a lot of middle-aged shooters that are very competetive in Standard (~Limited), but only a few who are so in Open. YMMV.

Was very competitive in skeet (AAA class),trap and sporting clays

( not that that makes any difference in pistol shooting)

I would say it makes a big difference having been competitive in ANY sport, even more so having it been a shooting sport, especially clays. Clays have got a lot to do with vision, reaction time, index, visualization etc which are all key to IPSC-style shooting. Especially vision.

My 2 cents.

Looking at the demographics of the champions, it seems like a lot of the Open winners are speedy kids and Revolver and Limited is where it's at for older guys. ;) The iron-sighted recoil divisions value patience a little more than flat speed, so that may be related, but the eye thing gets to be a problem after a while.

Maybe Modified is the ultimate old-guy division-- optic sights and recoil. :ph34r:

'Cause we like the abuse?

'Cause we like to hassle the kids?

'Cause it's Top-Fuel and nothing else will do?

So we can mutter "I woulda won if it weren't for those meddling kids..." and have them not get the reference? :D

Looking at the demographics of the champions, it seems like a lot of the Open winners are speedy kids and Revolver and Limited is where it's at for older guys. ;) The iron-sighted recoil divisions value patience a little more than flat speed, so that may be related, but the eye thing gets to be a problem after a while.

Maybe Modified is the ultimate old-guy division-- optic sights and recoil. :ph34r:

What about Jerry?????? Speedy Old Guy?????

Chris-

What's up? You ain't that old yet!!!!!

You have been playing with guns for a while now: all kinds of guns. I would find it hard to believe that you would limit yourself to just "one flavor"!!!!!

So, what do you propose to do with your little collection of the "other" divisions that looses your dedicated time? If you do a "give-away" keep me on mind. ;):ph34r: (I've heard you got some real sweet ones too!)

Anyway, just like you I will be fifty six very shortly. And just like you I have big time problems with my left knee, or the lack of it: they gave me a new one six years ago, but I preferred the old one better. :D:P My eyes definetely are not what they used to be either. As you know I have been shooting mostly open for a while now. It is my goal, handicaps or not, to get my M card by next year. I know it would be very difficult for me to make GM if not impossible, so I will not set my eyes that high. But I sure as heck will have some fun doing my best on those "classifiers". As for the young kids doing their thing and making me feel even older? All I have to say is: God bless you, have fun, and do your best, after all YOU are the future but for today I AM the present and what you can do with raw energy I'll make up with experience and guile... :lol:B)

There are quite a few of us "seniors" out there at any given time and match, and we won't be denied our fun. I did not limit myself before, and will still on ocassion shoot Limited and Production. Heck, sometimes I even shoot a Glock!!! :o:wacko: That is the reason why we have "toys" in this Game. Variety is the spice of life.

But if you feel the need to go into a non-dot toy for a while? Why not? Just don't give it up alltogether, for you will surely go back to it eventually. After all, who said you can't take it with you when you die? I'm sure gonna try, and on the meantime ... lots of fun and shootin'!!!

Now that I think about it, you guys are right, Open Division is a tough race. I really do think a 56 year old guy with 3 years of IPSC experience would have a much better chance winning the Limited Nationals than winning the Open Nationals.

I look at it this way. A dot is easier for everyone to shoot so they can focus more on movement and non-shooting tasks. So yeah, the hot rod run and gunners will thump on us old men because of the disparity in speed. Then again, with iron sights, the hot rod run and gunners will thump on us middle aged fat guys on movement skills, hey wait a minute. Never mind.

It may be time for us to petition the USPSA for another division in addition to Single Stack.

How about Old Guys Sitting On The Porch In A Rocker Division. All targets have to be within 7 yards and we only have to shoot one round on paper and steel dosen't have to fall to score. We can shoot against the Open Class.

Thanks for all the replies.

Where can I find a Quick and dirty list

of what each format IE IDPA, IPSC, SASS

USPSA, ETC

I want to start competeing to improve my skills

but dont even know where to start looking

I live close to Pearland Sportsmans Club

in Texas if that helps