Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yes You Can Do It

38superman

As Americans I guess it's just part of our culture.

We like everything big.

Wide open spaces, big powerful cars and big powerful guns make us smile.

Yesterday I was at my local range running some practice drills.

A young man showed up with a bag full of guns and took the position next to me.

At one point he pulled out a revolver that was about as long as his arm a sent a few rounds down range.

"Is that a 460 or a 500" I asked.

"500 S&W, You want to try it?".

"Sure, I'll try anything once."

He reached into his bag and pulled out a CorBon hollow point which I thumbed into a cylinder the size of my fist.

I took aim and sent the hollow point down range and into the 10 ring.

When I handed the gun back to him the palm of my hand and the grip of the gun were soaking wet.

My previous day's slave labor in my wifes flower garden had me working a shovel pretty hard.

The result was a blister in the palm of my strong hand about the size of a dime.

I though I would give it a day, then pucture it, drain the fluid and peel off the dead skin.

The Smith & Wesson took care of all that for me in one easy step.

There are some things in life that are just over the top and this gun is one of them.

On the other hand, it would be just the thing if you are planning a trip to Jurrasic Park.

Tls

Why?

"Revolver sales increased by $1,202,318, or 10.2%, in the quarter ended

July 31, 2004 to $12,970,346. The Model 500 revolver continued to have strong

demand. We added a shorter barrel version in February, and it was well received

by the market place. In the quarter ended July 31, 2004, we shipped

approximately 5,000 units of the two Model 500 variations compared with 2,600

units in the quarter ended July 31, 2003. The revolver order backlog was at

$11,528,086 at July 31, 2004."

"Revolver sales increased by $1,923,879, or 14.5%, for the three months ended October 31, 2005 to $15,158,307, compared with the three months ended October 31, 2004. The increase resulted from a 14.1% increase in units sold as well as a continued shift to higher priced models. The large frame revolvers continue to generate significant interest, accounting for almost 20% of our unit volume. The Model 460 revolver began shipping late in the first quarter, and we completed filling the backlog of this new revolver in the quarter ended October 31, 2005. The revolver order backlog was at $5,998,780 at October 31, 2005. "

Perhaps I didn't understand the question. :huh:

Are you asking why build it, or why buy it?

It's all a personal choice thing and for you it does not work.

I used to own a Ruger SuperRedhawk 44 mag with a 9-1/2" barrel, I hunted whitetail with it and the last one was a very nice 5x5 buck that dropped in three or four steps after I placed two rounds in the heart and lungs.

I could shoot hundreds of rounds at a time with no problems. I had better groups than with my Glock 17 and even placed 5 out of 6 shots on a 24"x24" steel plate at 300 yards with standard sights. I have not hunted since my dad passed away so I just recently sold it to fund other things.

To many that own them I am sure it's the wow factor that gets them to buy it.

In the day the old "Dirty Harry" movies made the big deal over the 44 magnum, now I guess you can blame Tim the Tool Man for "More Power".

Either way they remain popular.

Edited by AZ38super

I am not questioning why S&W builds them.

They are in business to make money and if there's a market for them so be it.

I think there is and always will be a niche market for those that just have to have the biggest and baddest anything.

I am not trying to be judgemental.

I have owned several 44 mags over the years.

I never could really justify a need for them but I enjoyed shooting them.

However, I can't help but believe that there comes a point where it's beyond reason.

Too much muzzle blast, too much recoil, too much bulk, too much expense. etc.

There was a time when the 357 mag was king.

Then the 44 mag. Then the 44 Auto Mag. Then 454 Casul. Then 460 Ruger, now 500 S&W.

When is it enough?

When I asked the owner of the cannon in question why he wanted it, he replyed "Hog Hunting".

As I watched him shoot it, it went something like this.

Wham!...Ow.

Wham!...Oww.

Wham!...Owwwch. That hurt. This thing has bruised my hand!!

If that's what makes you happy, have at it.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

A buddy of mine is a magnum revolver maniac by his own admission. He is just nuts over those hand cannons. I always get sucked into shooting his new .500, or .460 or his Gary Reeder .45-100 (if they made one he would have it). I think the guns are pointless and I really believe some of them are harmful to the shooter. But hey, it's his thing and he can just get right after it. :lol:

When I was working as a range officer we had one gentleman show up with a 500 when they first came out. The first time he shot a box of ammo through it. Next time he tried a different brand and let me take a try. It wasn't that bad but Not for me.

After about a month he finally just started putting it on the shooting bench and letting other unsuspecting shooters take their chance with it.

It makes a great conversation starter. Probably makes a great hunting gun for dangerous game. And, if you've got the money why not own the biggest and best?

Excellent deer cartridge when loaded down. 275 grain Barnes hollow point about 1200 to 1300 fps and with the X-frame hardly any recoil. Nice compared to factory 44 loads. I also own a 44. I would like to take it to a steel match where only plate racks are engage. 1 shot on the plate rack frame and all plates will go down. Talk about times. :)