Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Kind Of Ammo

NODAK

Keep in mind I do not reload yet,am going to shoot Limited - 40 S&W.Have been breaking in the pistol practicing for my first match 6-May.Have gone thru about 1000 rounds and I'm out of ammo, have been shooting the 250 packs of UMC 165 FMJ.I live in North Dakota and am 100 miles from anywhere so need to order online,have gone thru Midway before.What should I get?What do I need for Major if thats the right question

NODAK,

I will ship you 40 cal ammo for $190.00.

Ivan

pardon me for being skeptical, but who are you and do have a web site.plus no one answered my question.Sorry if I come across as rude!

How much do you plan to shoot???? I would recommend browsing and buying a reloader.

You can go with a square deal and get set up for about $300. Just go with the basic and add in another $100-$150 and you set. Thats going to be about the same as 3k of bullets. You can load them for about 1/2 of what you can buy them for.

I went through the same thing and bought a reloader instead of buying the ammo. Glad I did. The reloader paid for itself quickly. I didn't save any money bacause the money I saved just went into more components, bullets, brass etc.

Loader, tumbler, scale etc =$500 I bought a nice digital scale

Components for 10,000 rds=$1000

Total=$1500

10,000rds of ammo bought=$1900

You can buy a reloader, shoot the same amount of ammo and save $400 over just buying ammo. You can just keep an eye for a used Dillion loader. They make the best.

Heres a link to a reload cost calculatorReload Calculator

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I haven't shot Armscor ammo at all, but I'm sure those guys make a good product. $190 shipped to your door isn't a bad deal. Ivan's a good, stand up guy - go look at what he went through to try to get ammo to the World Shoot!!

Precision Delta is the supplier for the USPSA factory ammo program. They sell reloaded .40 at Major PF (most factory stuff is way major, this stuff is at 168-170PF) for $146/k + shipping (search on this forum for more info on that ammo...).

I've shot WWB, UMC, and American Eagle in my .40, 165gr and 180gr loads. I liked UMC 180gr the best for recoil characteristics. It still made something silly like 185 PF out of my gun. The 250 paks are convenient. However, Remington's quality control can be a bit dicey - they recently had a batch of 9mm escape the plant that had some long cases (like 1-1.5mm long) in them - guns don't like that very much. So, caveat emptor, of course ;)

The WWB kicked like a mule in my gun. American Eagle was almost as nice as UMC, just a hair hotter.

BTW - consider Flyin40's advice carefully. Long term, you'll save money, and generally have higher quality and better tuned ammo by loading it yourself... Of course, most of us find that we also shoot more when the ammo is cheaper, which is a good thing, but it offsets the savings and then some, usually.... :lol:

Edited by XRe

I cannot agree more with Flyin's take on this. IF you plan on staying in this sport, you'll be a ton happier buying yourself a reloader and building the gun food yourself. A 180 gr bullet using titegroup powder or V-V powder will be much softer recoiling than ANY standard factory load. Besides, its a feel good moment the first time you shoot cartridges that you actually made.

There are several reloader manufacturers out there. But, I'd bet that the great majority of folks use dillon reloaders. I have a square deal b which is for pistol calibers only, and a RL550B which can load rifle and pistol calibers.

I can only shoot about 8 matches a year due to my location,I'm a hundred miles from anywhere and then its another 150 to a club,so for now its store bought ammo.

Although reloading could be done during the winter.

I have never shot any of the Armscor ammo, but the Precision Delta in both of my limited guns barely made major 165.2 PF in both the 180 gr Major Standard and Long Major. It is also very dirty. Just make sure what you buy makes major in your gun. I shoot an Infinity Sight Tracker with a Scheuman barrel and an STI Executive with the STI Bull barrel. Hope this helps.

NODAK,

No Worries! :) Blake Miguez took our 40 cal standard ammo and chronoed it at the nationals last year it made major through his pistol. He bought a case from me to finish the match. Our IPSC loaded 40 will run a 179pf if thats what you need.

Ivan

I got some IPSC .40 from Ivan at last years Ltd Nationals and they were 100% reliable although a little hotter (179pf) than what I usually load (168pf).

Their ammo is relatively clean burning but my friend tease me that the smell reminds them of adobo :D

If and when I shoot my Limited gun in another Nationals, I'll be sure to call Ivan for ammo.

Barry B)

• 2 weeks later...

NODAK,

I will ship you 40 cal ammo for $190.00.

Ivan

pardon me for being skeptical, but who are you and do have a web site.plus no one answered my question.

Sellier and Belott makes pretty good (and cheap) new 180-gr FMJ .40 ammo. I shot it by the ton, try Natchez Shooter's Supply for good prices. The cost of ammo has been spiking in the last couple of months because of fuel gouging, so I don't know the exact price. I used to be able to get it for about $150 - $160/1000, but it's probably higher now.

American eagle and Blazer are pretty decent cheap ammo, I hve shot UMC and it was OK but really loaded up my barrel with filth.

As for making major, I have read that Wnchester 180 gr makes it but you would need to verify that in your gun.

I haven't shot Armscor ammo at all, but I'm sure those guys make a good product. $190 shipped to your door isn't a bad deal.

That's a GREAT deal. With fuel costs spiking, shipping charges on ammo have been going up as well. You will probably pay at least $25 - $30 shipping for a case of .40 ammo from most web places, so that means the true cost is $160. I don't know anybody beating that these days.

Edited by bountyhunter

Shooting UMC 180gr out of my Glock 24, and chrono'ed it today... 187 PF. It shoots a ton ligher than the 180gr WWB though. I definately see reloading in the near future. UMC may be a bit dirtier, but the consistancy was really good, 32 fps over 7 rounds. For me, it's really accurate too.

Wow this really is a great forum. I may be the FNG when it comes to this type of shooting, however I started reloading in "82 on a Dillon 450. Moved "up" to the 550 and never looked back. I could not agree more with what people are saying here. If your going to shoot----RELOAD! Buy in bulk=save money, 1/2 price of factory=save money and or shoot 2 times as much. As John Shaw said in his book "You can't miss!"

Best,

Charlie

I shoot 9MM and reload my own. The cost savings isn't that great, but the quality of ammo goes way up.

I can shoot the 147 grain bullet at about 60% of the cost of factory ammo. This is provided I buy components in bulk and save brass at the range. Most people don't save the 9mm brass, so it is readily available. It is also cheap to buy once fired 9mm brass off many of the mail order houses.

If you only dabble in 9mm, like a couple of hundred rounds a month, just buy factory, it you shoot 1k or more a month, reloading may be a better option for you.

Jerry