Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Centipedes

Rikarin

This is Japanese story I was told when I was a child. I hope this is appropriate sub-category.

--------

There's a centipedes who danced so well. When he dances, all the creature of the forrest come to watch. And there's a frog, who was envious of his fame. so he asked the centipedes.

"Mr. Centipedes, would you please tell me how you dance? Is it like you step with your 354th leg first and then the 104 leg?"

And you know, centipedes can not dance anymore.

-----------------

Have this happen to you, in shooting or anything else?

Rika,

I'm betting most all of us can relate to that story. ;)

So the trick becomes learning not to allow ourselves to become trapped by thought. It relates to the Trusting/Knowing thread in that we learn to know - if we are thinking while we are (or "should be") doing - we will not "do" to our potential. Knowing that, we decide when to think and when not to.

be

• 2 weeks later...

Rika,

It sounds like you know the Japanese version, while I know the American Golf version.

Just as your prime competitor is about to walk to the tee, ask her if she inhales on the back swing, or if she exhales? Same result... Doing such a thing is mean.

It is a good thing that we consider such activity bad form, because trying to call it as bad sportsmanship would be tough.

Billski

• 2 weeks later...
So the trick becomes learning not to allow ourselves to become trapped by thought.

I had an experience which made me totally understand this "trapped by thought" recently. I think my desire to know "why" to everything - might say 'scientific mind" ?? ;) - is so strong and I get into this binge- questioning. From "why I was born" to "why we are here to live." I'd go circles trying to think-out the answers only to loose myself in thoughts which is like ant lion's nest. Only thing I see is unescapable darkness.

One day, out of despair, I decided that I'd decide 1) life's purpose is to pursue happiness and 2)pursuing of happiness is nothing to do with finding the reason for life nor reason to live. I can not find it as the answer but instead,I'd just decide so.

This changed my perception (ain't reality=perception?) dramatically,It was a "whoa" moment. I could even feel it physically and remembered the feeling very well.

Since then, I stumble into "trapped by thought" once in a while. But amazing thing is I can feel and recognize that happening. I'd loose sense of reality. I'd loose feeling of connected-ness and appreciation. I feel alone. When that happens,I'd gently bringing myself back into my body and try to stay with the birds in the yard and my cat sleeping on my desk.

I bet this is something most of you do unconsciously or don't even have to do it to stay happy. But for me, this is a new learned skill. In a way, it's bit sad. I wanted the answer. I feel defeated to "decided" there's no answer.

When I was around 10 I used to lay in bed, unable to sleep, trying to figure out what was outside the universe. I figured it was finite, there was a boundary but what was outside it, and what was outside the thing that was outside the universe ?

I didn't sleep much.

It used to freak me out.

I ended up wondering if life, the earth, the stars and planets were all just a figment of my imagination. If that was true I thought that I would be able to do anything but then I couldn't do everything so I figured I had made myself forget that everything was my imagination to stop myself going nuts.

Am I screwed up or what ? :wacko:

I still have a need to know everything, but there's a limit to what I can know and understand within the boundaries of my existence.

I have accepted that there is a plan, someone else is taking care of it. It's not my problem, it's all going to be okay. Now I just let it go, and I feel the questions/concerns just fall off me.

As Frankie said, 'Just Relax'

It's kind of nice.

I feel defeated to "decided" there's no answer

I'd say you found the truth about answers. The truth is sometimes lesser/simpler than our fantasies about it ;-)

BritinUSA, yep. I am basically where you were when you were 10 years old. Geesh! Good for you to be able to let "someone else" take care of it. Born in secular family and society, that concept is so forign for me and herein the problem. I can't say as far as "someone else"

Goeff, maybe so. Actually, its nice to declare that is the truth. It doesn't feel like a defeat, ;)

One day, out of despair, I decided that I'd decide 1) life's purpose is to pursue happiness and 2)pursuing of happiness is nothing to do with finding the reason for life nor reason to live. I can not find it as the answer but instead,I'd just decide so.

I think that all of us have our own personal purposes based on where we have been in life. Our experiences define our purpose. Of course, this is and will always be a moving target until we die and cease to experience life.

I am always learning! In the last few years I went through a major change of career and thought that I had lost my purpose in life. I am beginning to understand that I am not what I do, but that I find purpose through my interaction with those whose presence I love and value. I must admit that I shoot USPSA mostly because of the interaction with others at matches, both my wife and friends.

I ended up wondering if life, the earth, the stars and planets were all just a figment of my imagination. If that was true I thought that I would be able to do anything but then I couldn't do everything so I figured I had made myself forget that everything was my imagination to stop myself going nuts.

Sounds like The Matrix!