Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mason-dixon 3 Gun Championship

Announcing the 2nd annual Mason-Dixon 3 gun Championship, to be held June 17, 18, 19th in Thurmont Maryland !

The match will be 9 stages (3 with each firearm) and 200 rounds total. Cost is $80 if registered by June 1st. Shots will be short, medium, and long range out to 300 yards this year!! Due to popular demand, there will also be Open, Tactical, and Limited divisions being recognized. Further details and match application will be posted on the club web page by this weekend. Go to www.MPSA.net

And of course, some clever and fun stages!!

Announcing the 2nd annual Mason-Dixon 3 gun Championship, to be held June 17, 18, 19th in Thurmont Maryland !

Don't blame BamBam. I gave him the wrong dates! The real dates are June 16, 17 and 18. The match appllication is on the web page at http://www.mpsa.net . Click the link to download the pdf.

If you don't see the link, you browser is probably showing you cached data from your own hard disk. Hit your 'refresh, 'renew' or whatever-your-browser-calls-it button to force it to reload the page and you'll be there!

• 4 weeks later...

Met with the guys last night and finalized the stages. Should be VERY COOL ! A good mix of technical, high-speed run & gun, and maybe something you never saw before.

Now making the designs digital for posting on the web site. Check the web site in a few days at:

www.mpsa.net

Hotel/Motel information:

I have never stayed overnight in Thurmont, but its a nice small town. Very safe and friendly. The internet shows a brand name SUPER 8 Motel in Thurmont. The main road that heads to the range from downtown Thurmont is Route 550 south, and its about a 10 minute drive.

Super 8 Thurmont Motel

300 Tippin Drive, Thurmont, MD 21788, 301-271-7888

Other non-brand motels in Thurmont are:

Cozy Motel Inn

103 Frederick Rd (301) 271-4301

Rambler Inn

US Hwy 15 & Hwy 550 (301) 271-2424

A really good website for finding hotels is this:

Local Hotel Finder

You can use it to search based on distance from Thurmont, and 15 miles from Thurmont there are tons of hotels, if you need a wider selection.

That is correct.

The longest rifle shots are 300 yards, and the entire match will be shot in one day.

There are 9 stages total... with 3 each for shotgun, rifle, and pistol.

No multi gun stages.

NEWS FLASH - stage descriptions are now posted on line. STAGES

Please note that discounted match fees are still available for all applications postmarked by June 1st.

And you may NOT fire steel core rifle ammo. (hint - rifle steel) ;):rolleyes:;)

The IPSC Target's "A" and "B" are actual paper targets that come from the IPSC rules for rifle. Basically, its a rectangular paper target with only an A and C zone.

This simple target will provide great visibility against the backstops, and allows us to build two identical stages side by side to position and move shooters through this long distance stage without delay.

Hi All,

This is shaping up to be a great match. We have some fun and challenging stages. Our intention is to build this match as one of the premier 3 gun events in this part of the US. For those of you that have never been to a MPSA match in Thurmont Maryland, we have a fantastic facility and it is great for 3 gun. Not many places in this part of the country have 300 yard ranges that are USPSA friendly. So please come out and shoot the match. You will have a lot of fun and help us build it into what it can be.

Get your Registration here www.MPSA.net

PS. We always need more help running an event like this, so if you can give some of your time we could use it. You don’t have to be an RO to help. If you are interested in helping please feel free to contact me on the38super@aol.com. Thanks.

Tony Chiavacci

The IPSC Target's "A" and "B" are actual paper targets that come from the IPSC rules for rifle. Basically, its a rectangular paper target with only an A and C zone.

This simple target will provide great visibility against the backstops, and allows us to build two identical stages side by side to position and move shooters through this long distance stage without delay.

What will be the distances that the A and B targets are set?? Also will we be shooting from a box, wall, table, etc??

thanks

LOuie

The farthest targets on the long rifle stage will be 300 yards. The nearest targets on that stage will be 50 yards. Those in the middle probably 100 yards, depending on final stage adjustments as we complete setup.

Figure shooting this stage from a large box with carpeting in case you want to go prone.

PASS THE WORD - there are still some slots left and the match is just several weeks away. Price has to go up June 1st to start locking in entry totals. Pleae get your entry forms postmarked before that date. Hope to see you there!!

A

I set up the "300" stage today, the "B" target was set at 300 yards and the "A" target was set at 200 yards. I'm an average long distance shooter but from my resuslts, I think there will be a lot of "0's" on this stage. I'm thinking the the rifle stages in this match are missing the "fun" factor prevalent in the New York State match and ,humbly, the Topton rifle match. Bill L

I set up the "300" stage today, the "B" target was set at 300 yards and the "A" target was set at 200 yards. I'm an average long distance shooter but from my resuslts, I think there will be a lot of "0's" on this stage. I'm thinking the the rifle stages in this match are missing the "fun" factor prevalent in the New York State match and ,humbly, the Topton rifle match. Bill L

You Super Seniors sandbag your ability, I shoot with one all the time. The stage will be a good test of your long range skills. I look forward to the test, with alittle practice. To be able to hit a 6"-12" A zone at 300 yards with alittle wind and on the clock should be a good challenge. Everyone knows what to prepare for and its only 4 misses out of 200 rounds in the match. I hope to be able to shoot with you on Sat.

thanks

LOuie

I agree with the general criticism of any stage where large numbers of people "zero" out, but I don't think this will be the case here. The first two targets are at 50 yards, with the next single target at 100 yards, leaving the last two targets at 300 yards. That's 6 piece-of-cake shots, with only 4 tougher shots at distance. If you've taken any practice shots at your home range, and have some concerns about hitting at 300 yards, take another shot or two. Its comstock... take as many as you want. Extra shots are cheap compared to a miss!!

The other rifle stages will have more of the usual "fun factor" when you see them at the walk-thru.

What's with the "NO NEW SHOOTERS" rule??? I have been shooting IPSC on & off since 1984 yet due to my move here to the USA, I am unclassified. I'm shooting the MGM Iron man in 2 weeks time, the Rocky Mountain 3 gun & hopefully the Cav Arms match in Waco & had planned a biz trip to VA to coincide with this comp but now I can't shoot it?? :blink::blink:

Is there some way round this for experienced yet unclassified shots? I'd happily fax or email my qualifications & previous match records to anyone for approval.

I can understand the desire to keep the match running smoothly without new folks either slowing things down or causing safety/DQ problems but you aren't helping the sport IMHO by limiting entries. Tell me this isn't a USPSA rule?

I joined USPSA as a life member simply because my schedule allows me to shoot more often than in the last 10 years & I was really looking forward to shooting this match.

BamBam,

What are the dim. of the target(s).

Mig

BamBam,

What are the dim. of the target(s).

Mig

Mig

Go to USPSA rifle rules and in the back are rifle targets dim. Don't worry you don't have to practice them, I know you can hit them all.

thanks

LOuie

Louie,

Know where their located in the rulebook but wanted to BamBam to answer so there's no mistake. Thanks.

Mig

Edited by Mig

What's with the "NO NEW SHOOTERS" rule??? I have been shooting IPSC on & off since 1984 yet due to my move here to the USA, I am unclassified.

--snip--

The requirement to be a USPSA member and have at least 1 classifier on record is to help ensure that applicants have shot an approved or sanctioned match (which follow USPSA and IPSC rules) prior to entering this 'championship' match.

A 3 gun match is definately NOT the place for a new shooter to cut their teeth on IPSC with 3 rule books (4 if you count the Tournament rules) and 3 different trigger pulls and gun configurations/safeties/sights, etc. A 'championship' 3 gun with serious competition and prizes on the line - doubly so.

But, as they say, there are no absolutes and exceptions are possible. If there are foreign shooters with obvious IPSC experience, we will be looking at their application on an individual basis even though they may not be USPSA members or have a classifier on file.

After our safety and experience concerns are satisfied, the only other thing we really want is to accomodate as many shooters as possible.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions or concerns.

(edited for typos)

Edited by MPSA.NET

From the IPSC rifle rules page...

The IPSC "A" rifle target is 8-1/2"w x 11"h with an "A" zone that is 10cm wide by 19cm high

The IPSC "B" rifle target is 11"w x 17"h with an "A" zone that is 15cm wide by 28cm high

Edited by BamBam