Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefty Reload

Nebraskan

I have been working on reloads (new to sport-two months, STI edge) and have tried the trigger finger reloads and found that what works better for me is the "middle finger knuckle" mag release. The trigger finger comes out and lays on the frame/slide and my enlarged-from-dislocation :( middle finger knuckle, which is right below/on the mag release, rocks over and drops the mag. I don't have to change grip at all.

I haven't heard anyone else do this, so maybe I am missing something? Before you dismiss it as "If it works for you..." I don't want to engrain a bad habit. Just because it seems "fast" to me now as a newbie, doesn't mean it is right or fast as I continue to improve. Thoughts?

I have been working on reloads (new to sport-two months, STI edge) and have tried the trigger finger reloads and found that what works better for me is the "middle finger knuckle" mag release. The trigger finger comes out and lays on the frame/slide and my enlarged-from-dislocation :( middle finger knuckle, which is right below/on the mag release, rocks over and drops the mag. I don't have to change grip at all.

I haven't heard anyone else do this, so maybe I am missing something? Before you dismiss it as "If it works for you..." I don't want to engrain a bad habit. Just because it seems "fast" to me now as a newbie, doesn't mean it is right or fast as I continue to improve. Thoughts?

I know a lefty GM who does that.

No grip change required?

You're lucky, most people have to shift their grip.

Sounds like a winner to me.

I've been using basically the same thing, except I use the tip of my middle finger to release the mag. I have large hands and a Para P16-40, so its an easy move just to slide the tip back to the release.

As a lefty, I drop my middle finger back and push the mag release with the tip of my middle finger. I don't have to shift my grip and it makes for a very positive mag release. It came from shooting a Beretta in the army and a Glock in the Academy. Since there were no lefty instructors, pretty much had to come up with my own. It's the only way i've ever done it.

I think you will find most folks will tell you "If it works for you" go with it.. I'm a lefty and i tried what you do and i have normal hands i guess you'd say and it just does not work for me.

The only thing i would say is that you need to make absolutely sure you practice until it's engrained is gettting your trigger finger out of the trigger area.. :) that one "oops" could be a DQ.. or worse something unsafe..

I like the index finger cause it gets my trigger finger out of the trigger housing for sure and i do have to shift my grip, both on my 1911 and glock..

Good luck, keep practicing and be safe.

Jeff.

When I switched from righty to lefty I played around with what finger to use to hit the mag release. The trigger finger just seemed to work better for me. This is on a 1911. We'll see what happens when I start shooting a widebody.