Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12 Reloading Advantage?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's the rig I put together for carrying Saiga, AR, and Glock mags for Ironman this year...

ironman-2006-01.jpg

ironman-2006-02.jpg

I can carry up to 13 Saiga mags on me. The lowest number of shells required on any one stage is 26 (all types), the highest number of shells required on any stage is 52 (all types).

Springfield M1A is on the line for first trooper class shooter...

My Saiga is going to be back from Tromix at the end of the week, w00t!

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Got the gun back from Tromix today...

saiga-2.jpg

I was having a friend time me how long it took to change mags, and it was around 3.5-4 Seconds depending on which pouch I got it out of. I'm going to have to practice a lot to be able to get smooth with it.

I'm finding that hiting the mag release with my weak hand thumb after I've drawn a mag out already and swiping the mag out then rocking in the fresh mag seems to be the easiest most efficient way.

I had been trying a technique I learned for regular AKs, of hitting the mag release with the fresh mag and swiping it forward then rocking in the magazine...this method was faster for getting the empty mag out but harder to consistently get the fresh mag in due to the position of my hand on the mag.

i love that rig !!!

could you give us a break down of what it consistis of ?

You will officially be classed as an American Citizen in about 3 weeks - until then try and spell the Queens English properly !!!! :angry: and try and be what an US citizen consists of !!! :P

Edited by mike.45

i love that rig !!!

could you give us a break down of what it consistis of ?

Pistol Belt:

Spec Ops Brand Battle Belt

Diamond Back Tactical Suspenders

Bianchi Belt Keepers (tie the belt into pants belt)

SOB Vapor holster chasis with Safariland holster placed on the inside

SOB Modular thigh rig

SOB X3 AR mag pouch

SOB Light sheath

Eagle Dump Pouch velcro and zip tied to the X3

SOB Op Order for general stuff

Tac Tailor utility pouch on the Op Order for first aid

2 Tac Tailor dual Subgun pouches (Glock 18 mags); one with flaps, the other with flaps removed and kydex inserts installed.

SOB Super Sheath.

Vest

SOB Battle Rig; buckles cut off the front with the pouches attached to hold it together as one piece making it side opening.

5 Tac Tailor .308 pouches (old ones, the new ones are too tight for Saiga mags without modification)

2 SOB X4 (2 Saiga mags each)

SOB X3

SOB X6 (3 Saiga Mags)

SOB X2 (1 Saiga Mag)

TAG Orgainizer/Velcro Pad

Tac Tailor double pistol mag pouch

smokshwn, thanks for the kind words. I can't help it. I like Russian guns. :)

I'm a distributor for Russian American, and I've been selling the S12s as fast as I can get them in. I honestly think that when 10 round magazines are available, these are going to take over 3gun. I've got several hundred of both kinds of the 10 rounders on preorder.

I have 3 of the original 8 rounders for my Saiga, and I love it. I've practiced the reload quite a bit, and have gotten it down to just over 2 seconds consistently. Rather than bevel the bolt, I've just learned to load with the action held open manually. I keep my left hand on the mag like a vertical foregrip, keep the gun at the shoulder, grab the charging handle with my strong hand, lock the gun in place with my trigger finger holding the charging handle to the rear, and my thumb holding the gun in place. (I have plenty of hand strength, this might be hard for some people) Drop mag, grab new mag, rock and lock. Support hand stays on mag. When I return my strong hand to the stock, the bolt goes forward. Gun is back in action.

That was me in Frontsight magazine with the Saiga this month too.

Correia,

Are the 10 rounds magazines avaiable at all? If so, how can you place a pre-order?

I have a new Saiga-12 coming in and I would rather have the 10 rounders than the 8s.

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 of the original 8 rounders for my Saiga, and I love it. I've practiced the reload quite a bit, and have gotten it down to just over 2 seconds consistently. Rather than bevel the bolt, I've just learned to load with the action held open manually. I keep my left hand on the mag like a vertical foregrip, keep the gun at the shoulder, grab the charging handle with my strong hand, lock the gun in place with my trigger finger holding the charging handle to the rear, and my thumb holding the gun in place. (I have plenty of hand strength, this might be hard for some people) Drop mag, grab new mag, rock and lock. Support hand stays on mag. When I return my strong hand to the stock, the bolt goes forward. Gun is back in action.

Can you tell us what your USPSA pistol classification is?

How are you measuring that "over 2 seconds"? Shot to shot? Or by another method?

And a pistol classification is related to shotgunning and mag changing on a Saiga how??? If it helps, I just became classified after 4 years as a "member", maybe I could help with a shotgun :lol: KURTM

And a pistol classification is related to shotgunning and mag changing on a Saiga how??? If it helps, I just became classified after 4 years as a "member", maybe I could help with a shotgun :lol: KURTM

There's a highly positive correlation between pistol classification and the corresponding skillz in the shotgun... given that the shooter is an active 3 gunner.

Kelly Neal ... M

Benny Hill ... M/GM

Kurt Miller ... ???

Benny Coolie ... M

Taran Butler ... GM

Eric Lund ... M/GM

Top 16 2005 USPSA Nationals - Tactical Class

1 Taran Butler L2354 GM

2 Chris Perez TY48153 M

3 Mark Hanish TY34253 GM

4 Erik Lund TY24188 GM

5 Todd Salmon A3845 GM

6 Benny Hill TY19374 M

7 Chuck Anderson FY39640 M

8 Ray Witham A12371 M

9 Carl Carbon TY21955 M

10 William Paolino TY33599 M

11 Greg Duran TY45557 B

12 Ty Gentry TY50074 C

13 Kyle Vowinkel TY33177 A

14 Robby Johnson A53963 U

15 John Murray TY21582 GM

16 Chuck Mahoney A46856 A

I personally know Duran and Mahoney. They don't shoot enough USPSA matches regularly to bump up their classifications.

Duran's last classifier was in 2002. Mahoney's was in 8/05 and he looks like he shot a classifier once a month prior to that. Gentry and Johnson looks to be in the same boat as well in that they don't shoot a lot of USPSA pistol matches. What I am basically saying is that of the top 16 who weren't M or GM don't shoot enough classifiers to truly determine what level their pistol skill is at.

Anyways, high correlation between the two. I don't think any of these guys can place that high without being pretty good with the shotgun.

So knowing what Correia is (a GM/M/A/B/C or D shooter) it provides a fuzzy picture of what class can do what in reloading the Saiga.

If he is a GM shooter and he can do slightly above 2+ seconds... well OK.

If he is a D shooter and he can do slightly above 2+ seconds... well OK (again).

Edited by Religious Shooter

If he is a GM shooter and he can do slightly above 2+ seconds... well OK.

If he is a D shooter and he can do slightly above 2+ seconds... well OK (again).

S'Truth, if somebody at the middle of the pack can get it down into the low 2's, then the door has only just been opened. If he is GM capable and he's in the two's, then it's a done deal and the floor is close to being established.

My personal opinion here is that when the Saiga is in general use and all the mods are in, that a shot to shot reload for a top dawg is gonna be in the same range as an AR reload, 1.5ish.

I am moving to the states in the next month or so., and i can tell you this..

I am definatly guna shoot in trooper class.

I an definatly guna get a saiga,

And when those 10 round mags become avaible.....good bye tube feed shootguns...

Just gota count to 9 and slap another one in... nun of this hold open nonsence.

my 2cents.

Honestly, I suck with pistol compared to most of the posters on this board. I'm not ranked in USPSA, and I'm only an Expert in IDPA. I'm pretty good with rifles, and I live for shotgun. Smkshwn has seen me reload a Saiga. I'll set the timer par at 2.5, at the buzzer, reload, and have the gun back in action before it beeps.

srf, I do have relatives there, but don't know them. There are basically two Portugese Correia familys in the world, in about fifty countries, and we're all related somehow. Most of the Portagees in the US ended up in the NE, Mass, RI area, or went west and ended up in California.

surfmaster, right now, I'm waiting as eagerly as everybody else. I'm not taking preorders until I have firm price and ETA. I'll be sure to post here though.

Aux contraux mon R.S. and George. Well befor I became a member of USPSA ( read not classified ) I could load a shotgun to the tune of 8 rounds in 5.5-6 seconds shot to shot, port arms start. I could shoot a rifle even better, and still do so I can't figure out why I'm named Mr. Weakhand instead of Mr. M-14, but I digress. I never shot a pistol all that well, but I'm working on it ( won the pistol match at area 6 3-gun ) I was unclassified for the first 3 years because I just didn't shoot pistol matches ( joined so I could shoot the Euro. Shotgun Champs.) I was then a B shooter when I shot the 2004 Nationals and was second to Bennie Cooley by only 12 match points. I am now a "mighty A" :lol: (note: humor and tounge in cheek comment not ment to make anyone angry). The guy who just won the CMMG 3-gun opitcs division isn't even a member of USPSA and he turned in some blazing shotgun times as well as rifle runs...he isn't known as a pistol guy either, but he beat most all except the top few OPEN guys.... I'll give you a hint, he is a Miller also and is related, and is left handed. I know about 7 guys who shoot "cowboy" and with thier 97s would make just about all of us look slow, do they make SASS grand masters? The only correlation I see is that most Gs and GMs shoot a lot, and if you shoot alot you will in time get better,but don't go by a rating. I know several GMs that can't even figure out a shotgun, because they NEVER shoot them, but boy are they death with a pistol. As for Saiga loading I know an open shooter that is like a C and can cram in those Saiga mags to the tune of 1.5-2 seconds, so I guess a G or GM ought to be doing about .5-.75 :D KURT

Under USPSA rules, a detachable magazine puts the shooter in Open.

At Outlaw matches...read the rules carefully :)

I've been running a detachable magazine shotgun for five years now, and finally got one set up the way I wanted. But I think a Saiga is a better gun except for the lack of commercially available 10-round 12-gauge magazines (Liota's Saiga-20 has factory 10's which work just fine), and the fact that I can run twenty round drums at Outlaw matches :ph34r:

My (currently 'ex' but hopefully "again") club is a hotbed of magazine fed shotguns, and the evil genius types there have done some amazing cutting-edge things to Saigas long before all the Johnny-Come-Lately folks. One of them is even famous in Russia for his converted Saiga :P

Alex

I should note that the 3.5 to 4 second time was mag pouches with retention; flaps or bunjee cords. With the bunjee cords undone, its about 2.5-3 Seconds

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to get to use my Saiga at the Texas State 3 Gun match next week. I'm sending it back to Tromix to get the gas ports dialed in so it will run with lighter loads...as it is, it will only cycle with 3-3/4 dram reliably on the high gas setting.

• 4 weeks later...