Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Math Wizards Out There

SmittyFL

Ok, here is the deal. I want my new gun's sight picture to "appear" the same as my old gun. The issue is the front sight width, rear notch width, and sight radius are all different. I don't have the tooling and don't trust myself with a file so I have to send it off. Therefore I can't do a little at a time until it's right.

Basically I have more "light" around the front sight on the old gun and want it to look like that on the new one without replacing the front sight. (because I like it) So can anyone calculate what the width of the rear notch needs to be for them to look similar?

I don't know how much the sight radius comes into play or if it's as simple as matching the difference in front sight and rear notch widths. (.010)

Thanks in advance for any help.

OLD GUN

Front sight width .095

Rear notch width .113

Sight radius 6.540

NEW GUN

Front sight width .102

Rear notch width .110

Sight radius 6.735

For what it is worth, I think the difference in sight radius is insignificant.

I would say to aim for .118 to .120 and it would be the same presentation proportion that you had.

I dont know about being a math wizard, but I see 0.098" as the approprate match for the change in the width of the front sight to get back to where you were.

I'm not up on what sight widths are readily avaialble, but it the 0.095" is a stock item, it should work well. A 0.100" may also do. I would try to go with something off the shelf rather than having to have it milled or filed to allow for easy replacement should the sight be damaged.

Guy

Smitty,

There are a lot of factors that I am not considering but I think that, if possible, you should narrow the front sight before you open the rear. As long as it is not a fibre optic, narrowing the front sight is a 5 minute job with a milling machine.

The other reason is that it increases the acutity of the front sight. I always narrowed my sights to .095 for just that reason. I hate having a huge post underneath a small target and try to estimate the middle of the sight.

Leo

Yeah, I used to agree with you Leo. I have the Brazos or X-treme or whatever on my old gun. It's a .095 with the three post micro hole thingy for the fiber. The blade is smooth.

This new one is the Dawson I think, fiber and it's a .100 (.102) but the blade is serrated. I really like the look. I don't know if it's because it's bigger or because it's serrated, or a combonation. But I think I'm going to like it, just not enough light around it. Worse case, I don't like the new set up and am out the cost of a Bo-mar.

I think the fatness of the blade aids in picking it up fast also, I just think it would be faster with more light. And I can hit 50yd 8in plates as well as I could with the old gun so I don't think it hurts the accuracy needed for our game.

We'll see. It looks like I'm going to try .120 or .121.

Okay, I re-read the post and understand you want to modify the rear sight instead of the front sight as I responded earlier. Sorry for the confusion (ineptitude on my part in reading).

As the others have said, opening the rear sight width to about 0.120" should give the same sight picture.

Guy

Smitty,

The variable not mentioned is the distance the sights are from your eyes (for those that would want to do the real math)...

I agree with the thinking that a wider front is easier to pick up. But, you'd still likely want those light bars on each side and have a need to open up the rear.

Burkett has played with this some...you might give him a call.

If it were me, I'd whip out my safe-sided file and open up one side of the rear notch by .005, then the other. Worst case there is that you screw it up a little and you just have a "working model".

If I recall, the distance from your eye to the rear sight also affects the image a bit. You draw "perspective lines" from the target focus point back to the edges of the FR sight blade and the edges of the rear notch and continue those lines back to your eye to get the "apparrent" width your eye will register.

I agree the sight radius difference is insignificant. Assuming the front sight is 2 ft away from your eye, the change in sight radius amounts to 0.81%. I'd say match your new gun to the old gun's front/rear widths and you should be good to go.

Edited to add...

OK, I can't just leave my assumptions out there without some sort of proof (to myself mainly), so I whipped up an AutoCAD drawing. There are a few variables here, so I started with your old gun sight widths and radius and assumed 2 ft from your eye to the front sight.

Changing the sight radius can happen many ways. The rear sight may move back .195 inch, the front sight may move forward by that amount, or something in between. So testing the two extremes, I get:

Front Sight Forward:

New front width = 0.0958

New rear width = unchanged

Rear Sight Rearward:

New front width = unchanged

New rear width = .1124

Based on that I'd say trim your front sight to .095 and call it good enough.

Edited by splashdown