Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Advice For The Gp100 In Idpa

kdmoore

Recently picked up a revolver (GP100) for a variety of reasons. To be the brunt of my own jokes, to learn better trigger discipline, go get another gun (honey, I don't have anything like this), to classify accross the revolver spectrum, etc. Wait, I don't need to explain myself here ...

Couple of questions.

Can you give suggestions for a holster. Not a daily carry for me, so mostly worried about keeping it IDPA legal.

Unless I get bit unexpectedly by the revolver bug, I'm not going to reload. I'd like suggestions for factory fodder that will meet 125 pf and the 165 pf (I want to shoot this for SSR and ESR). They don't chrono classifiers, but I'd like to make sure I make pf for myself (and I don't have access to a chrono).

I'd consider buying an extra cylinder and having it machined for moonclips. Mostly just to be different :P Can anyone advise on this route. Cylinders seem easy enough to swap, and I'm guessing stout enough to have a little material removed. Am I missing anything? I'll only do it if I can get it done for a reasonable $$. One day I'll own a 610 to shoot for ESR.

If you know of a holster looking for a new home, shoot me an email and maybe we can work something out?

Hi kd,

My SSR is also a Ruger GP100. You aren't outclassed by an L frame by any stretch...I used to shoot one, but prefer the GP as being a hair more reliable.

For a holster, all of my revolver holsters are from Ready Tactical....I find them to be slicker, faster and yet have better retention then anybody elses for a GP, but not everybody makes a holster for the GP. You will also want their speedloader holders...you can shake them upside down and the speedloader stays in, but as soon as you tug on it it is in your hand.

For speedloaders, the Safariland Comp III's will do the job, but the Jet Loaders are faster.

For ammo I usually will use the generic 130gr ball loads for club matches, but switch to Speer 158gr Lawman ball for sanctioned matches. Both are 38 special loads. When I feel like shooting full house ammo I shoot 158 gr soft points as I can find them cheap.

Hope this helps......

Frank

KD,

I have used a GP to sucessfully irritate a good number of bottom feeders. :P

I use a Bladetec but not the dropped offset....Ordered it for a GP 100, but my L frames fit it too. :)

Good luck on your trip with the wheel.

HOPALONG

if you're looking into machining your cylinder or getting some answers, try these guys.

http://tkcustom.com/machine.htm

i don't think they do machining for rugers but they have a list of other smiths that can do it for your gp100.

Or you can send your cylinder to Clark Custom and they'll do it for a C note. By the way, you can still shoot the gun without moonclips so you don't need to get another cylinder.

Jerry

Thanks to each of you. Ready tactical looks like an great choice. RevChuck, you've convinced me (and saved me a lot of t&e) on the S&B. Jerry, any chance you could help me understand this? I would have thought the cylinder would need to be cut to allow for the thickness of the moon clip? Wouldn't that make the rounds set too deeply when using the speed loaders?

The cut is made as a recess the shape of the clip. There is enough of the back face of the cylinder left for loose cartridges to headspace on. Bring up the pictures at

http://www.moonclips.com/

to see how it is done.

I don't think the long skinny .38s work as well in clips as short stubby heavy .45s, but maybe I didn't practice with it enough before I gave up on the gimmick. But I note that a number of ICORE shooters load .38 Short Colt for the purpose. They only have to make PF 120, though.

• 4 weeks later...

most md's know that factory .38 special does not make power factor unless it is +p rated, but will allow factory ammo anyway at club levels, the lightest factory .38, and .357 is Winchester white box, although i truly hate the stuff it is the lightest on felt recoil out of many manufacturers i have tried

i have a fobus holster with comp III speed loaders in a cut down to 2 safari land speed loader holder

• 2 weeks later...

cheaper clips means more of them bending/warping etc. i'd stick with quality... just like a bad magazine in a pistol.

Ready tactical will take great care of you i met the gentleman at IDPA nationals last year don't think you can go wrong with his gear.

As for ESR I feel the 45's load sooooo much better they make it worth the cost in bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the S&W 686 camp, but I will attest to the quality of the Ready Tactical gear...I would recommend their revolver holster for sure, and their speedloader pouches are absolutely genius. I use the Safariland Comp III's with total satisfaction.

Edited by eringobragh