Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Head Shot 21 - New Game / Drill

dirtypool40

Holy Schnikeys Ron, that is AWESOME!!!!

Thank you. The last time I posted on this forum about precision shooting, people lined up to holler bull$hit so I avoid the topic. Precision shooting is what I did from junior high school through the early 1990's. I never did pursue it beyond the local stuff. I remember when Frank Green invited me to Colorado Springs for a visitiation. Does anyone know if he is still kicking? I passed because my mental game sucked then and it still sucks today. I didn't have the balls. Heck of a thing to admit on the Internet.

In a very real sense, my background actually held me back in IPSC for a long time. I finally figured out how to speed things up, but the pendulum swung too far. I have a good wobble zone and excellent fire control, but it all goes in the toilet at the buzzer. :lol:

EricW:

I shot some early Bianchi stuff locally before NRA Action Pistol was formed. I always did very well shooting a revolver. Not going to the Cup in the early years was a mistake. But I just couldn't go because of my occupation. Long story.

There is a club shooting Action Pistol a couple of hours from here. Several of the guys have made a point of inviting me to shoot, but I have lost all interest. Kind of weird going from something I loved to not even wanting to consider shooting it again. I'll go shoot a match and let you know how it goes.

Precision fire is a quick way to separate out the fleet of foot hosers and those that can really shoot. Stack up some targets with the edge of each A zone bordered by a no shoot and the fleet of foot hosers will either come to a screeching halt and shoot very carefully (more often than not letting the mental stuff overtake them and hitting the no shoot anyway) or they will toss a couple hopers in there and hope there need for white tape isn't too extreme.

I can't wait to get back to the practice range again and get my skills back to where they should be. And this drill will be on the menu for sure. I have always been a precision shooter but the skills are hurting big time of late due to lack of use.

no joy as to a "perfect" yesterday, but I'll keep trying until I can consistently do a "21" and have it down to "x-count"

This is why you're the man, DP40! How are the eyes coming back? Notice the difference in practice vs. matches? Hope to see you at some 3Gun and IDPA matches soon...

Hey Rob

eyes are coming along. I can still see a distortion in a grid (the standard check up for this thing), but I passed my medical this week, barely reading the 20/20 line. That's worlds better than it was a year ago.

I used to have roughly 20/15 or better in the left and the right was AT LEAST twice as good. I used to read the 20/10 line as fast as I could get the letters out of my mouth. More than once I had a nurse ask if I had memorized it and have me do it backwards, or pick one letter and ask what it was. Seriously, I used to get distracted by the texture of a page in paperbacks when reading. B)

Not anymore :unsure: , now it's 20/15 in the left and BARELY 20/20 in the right. That being said it is on the improve.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Edited by dirtypool40

John:

Iron sights with my single stack. I was using those specialty glasses I had made up last year with the left lens taped over. The front sight was crystal clear, the target was way out of focus even when looking directly at the target. I am off today and I think I'll head to the range and try it again before the wind comes up.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

I have started using this at the start of each practice session. I just missed having all 21 hits the last time I did this with my STI. I pulled 2 into the lower part of the target. Then I tried it with my less accurate (for me) Glock 34 yesterday. Did I say less accurate? I had all 21 hits with 12A's and 9B's. I might need to reconsider shooting my Glock again.

I shot the drill cold when I got to the range. All 21 on the upper A/B zone with 6 Bravos. Then I set up some walls and props and practiced shooting while coming into position, etc. for a couple of hours. I shot the drill again before tearing down. The second go around I shot 3 into the B zone at 30 yards into a group that you could cover with a quarter, and the other 18 were in the A box. On the second time around, even though I was shooting slow fire, I found my finger coming clear off of the trigger when I went to reset at 5 yards and again at 10 yards.

Someone remind me what this drill and/or group shooting ability is good for? I sucked at the rest of the practice session on things like economy of motion. You know, the stuff that really matters. :lol:

BTW, I didn't post this before, but on my first trip to the range to try this drill I screwed it up. I shot 5 rounds instead of three at each of the distances for 35 rounds instead of 21 rounds. I shot the drill twice for 70 rounds total. All 70 were in the A/B zone. So far, all I have managed to convince myself of is I am wasting my time and ammo.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Shot it today at the beginning of a practice session. First run had 7 Mikes so I didn't even count the A's. Went ahead and practiced then shot it at the end of the session. I thought I did well, calling 3 shots just a bit high. I had 5 Mikes the second time. I hate days like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Little thread bump.

I finally got out with enough daylight to actually shoot a little. I shot about 50-75 rounds warming up and zeroing the gun.

I was on a berm where I could only get about 27y, so I shot "head shot 21" as "head shot 15", from 5 to 25y. this is the best group I shot, 15 alphas and yes, "results were not typical".

Hoping to duplicate this and shoot a true "21/21", but this is MAJOR improvement over the way I shot this past weekend.

post-551-1147308594_thumb.jpg