Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Weights From The Ar Buffer

Cosby

This is a carryover from a post on another site. A gunsmith friend of mine suggested I remove the weights from my buffer. I tried it and got light primer strikes. Then, I put one weight in and a piece of dowel rod the length of the other two weights.

Damn, the rifle feels good. Less bump as the bolt closes and absolutely no misfires. I know this feeling is very subjective but it seems to make a difference.

I think the weights are in there for full auto fire and all the weights are not necessary for semi auto fire. I left a small amount of sliding room since I think you get a "dead blow" effect as the weights shift forward when the bolt stops. What do you think? :unsure:

You really think you can feel the diff while shootin' it?

Well, just wait until it starts malfin' on ya in one interesting manner or another, then let us know how well it works ;-)

I would be concerned about increased wear on your receiver and other parts over the long term. Toying around with the operating components of your AR doesn't help reliability or longevity unless you're making them heavier.

It is possible to increase the bolt speed even in semi auto to the point that spent casings will not have time to fully eject and the magazine will not have time to feed the action especially if you are using older mags with weaker springs.

Does somebody know what JP low mass buffer has inside? It weights 2,88oz/81,6g when std rifle buffer is 5.12oz/145,2g. Empty rifle buffer is 1,61oz/45,7g. Is there any sliding weights inside?

I've been shooting half year, maybe thousand rounds (hey, we have true winter here) with my AR, homemade LMOS carrier and empty carbine buffer. Mass of moving parts is somewhere 300g/10,6oz and gun works ok, runs flat, less recoil.

Has those bouncing weights any meaning when talking about reliability? :blink:

Tommi

Yes, they help control bolt carrier speed and ensure that the bolt closes fully, always.

Reducing the buffer weight is fine whenever the carrier mass has also been reduced, they work together as a tuned reaction mass.

The JP has weights and they just weigh less in proportion to the lighter carrier.

I'll let You know when first malfunction comes

Hi Tommi, Given the way you have lightened both the carrier and the buffer and are using an adjustable gas block, you are probably emulating the JP setup close enough to be in the proper window for long term, any condition reliability.

I've been shooting a buffer with only one weight and a spacer in it for over two years.

No sighs of accelarated wear.

Rob Leatham, Tony Holmes and myself were brainstorming two years ago about rifle recoil. All of us lighten the slides on our pistols to reduce reciprocating weight. Why not do the same with the rifles. Rob and I both shot the buffer without any weights. Rob did it for at least one class he taught and put a lot of rounds thru it. Both of us had no problems but I got paranoid and put one weight back in with a delrin spacer.

It was the full size buffer and a lighter bolt carrier.

I was just at the range yesterday with this gun and a standard weight gun.

The lightened parts gun recoils just a hair harder BUT the recoil impulse is over much quicker. The gun kind of goes off violently but doesn't move.

The standard weight gun is a softer feeling gun but it moves me around. The sight is lifting off the target.

Like I said earlier... same principal as our pistols.

Edited by BPiatt