Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice Running The Glock 19

Rockclimbg

I'm going to try and use my G19 this year for Production and SSP. I already have the basics set up like I want them: sights (heinie), trigger (stock). But was wondering how you guys and girls were springing the gun and how you were loading your ammo. I'm trying to save myself the time and money of trial an error so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Rockclimbg

Edited by Rockclimbg

+1 on Walmart WWB 100 round packs. I use my G17 in SSP and Production and that's all I use right now. Several of my shooting buddies do reload 9MM using 147gr JHP. I've shot a few and they are softer than the WWB 115gr, but right now the gun shoots a lot better than I do.

Bruce

I shot a Glock for years in IDPA and when I first started shooting USPSA. I shot Blazer mostly because it was $3.88 a box at Academy. over 50,000 rounds later, I can tell you I only had 2 that didn't go bang for some reason. They were accurate and were not nearly as dirty as some people will tell you. I would reload if I was shooting a .40 (and I do), but shooting a 9mm that time would be better served dry firing, rather than reloading. You'll see much better gains in how you shoot over the gain you'll get reloading. If time is no factor, then do both.

Darin

Unless you are already reloading for the 9mm, I think Flex is right. Shoot factory to begin with; more money for practice ammo etc. Winchester White box, UMC 250 packs, CCI's, seem to be the the more popular factory ammo out there. I personnally shoot the UMC. I started with it, and haven't seen any reason to switch.

As for set-up on the G17, I would recommend three changes:

stainless steel non-captured guide-rod with either a 15 lb or 13 lb spring

Dawson FO front sight with either a Heine or Dawson rear sight

Sotelo trigger kit with a 3.5 lb connector.

+1 on below post except I'm not sure I'd mess with the guide rod or spring, some have experienced malfunctions. I'd just buy an extra recoil spring assembly and throw it in my bag in case I needed to switch in the middle of a match, then check it each time I cleaned the gun.

Unless you are already reloading for the 9mm, I think Flex is right. Shoot factory to begin with; more money for practice ammo etc. Winchester White box, UMC 250 packs, CCI's, seem to be the the more popular factory ammo out there. I personnally shoot the UMC. I started with it, and haven't seen any reason to switch.

As for set-up on the G17, I would recommend three changes:

stainless steel non-captured guide-rod with either a 15 lb or 13 lb spring

Dawson FO front sight with either a Heine or Dawson rear sight

Sotelo trigger kit with a 3.5 lb connector.

If you have to buy all of the equipment to reload 9mm it can be somewhat expensive. The key is how many rounds do you put downrange per year. If you have the equipment you can reload match grade ammunition tailered to your specific requirements for less than Winchester White Box.

Either way, practice a lot, have fun, and be safe.

By the way, I think can you only use Guide Rods of the same material as factory supplied in Production and ESP.

John

Edited by oct_97

• 2 weeks later...

I am running my g19 for competiton this year. My gun is stock. I reload a 124 grain fmj with 4.1 grains of tite group.

The 2 matches I have shot so far this year I have done my best.

It is the person behind the trigger.