Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Disappointment

TimWarner

So, I joined USPSA, found a local(sorta) club that shoots in the winter. Last months match was cancelled due to sub-zero temps.

I figured I now had more time to practice. Spent the last 4 weeks practicing reloads, draws, target aquisition/transition. Got all packed up this morning, and when I went to get directions online. In the calendar listing for today... Rifle and shotgun only.

Unfortunetly, I have no suitable rifle or shotgun. What I do have is a new(ish) Glock open gun that I've spent the last 4+ months tweeking and building myself.

Words cannot express the @#$%@ I feel this morning.

At least there's next month?

I know it helps little, but in situations like that you can show up with some 12 gauge shells and some .223s and there will be a bunch of people more than happy to let you borrow/use a rifle and shotgun.

I normally carry extra just for that purpose.

If you show up at any long gun match I run out here in CA, you will have to turn down offers to use gear and even ammo to shoot. We like to give newbies a taste for free. Next thing you know, they are hooked ;-)

Boy, this is bad. Since they canceled the shoot last month, they had the handgun shoot today instead of the Two gun shoot listed on the schedule.

On a good note, weather was nice, people were great, courses of fire were a blast. Make sure and make the next one. Feel free to ask questions on the www.mnuspsa.org forum. Lots of help there.

Tim I dont even know ya and I think you're all right. 'Grrrrrr' is an understatement to what crossed MY mind when I read Sgt's reply. But hey thats what happens when you're new and havent been to a match yet. They might have notified you of the change if they had you on some sort of list (phone or e-mail). Chalk it up, tinker with the gun some more, and show up next month. Course now it probably WILL be rifle and shotgun, but try what JFD said. I've been shooting for years and never would have thought of that idea. B) It's a good one!

Edited by C.Keen

Just keep checking the mnuspsa forum. They have most of the updates there. This one was unusual. Lots of shoots coming up. I am new to this sort of thing myself. Know how hard it can be to get started.

If you don't mind, when I hear or see of any upcoming shoots, I will PM you with the information. Hang in there, it will happen, and you will have a good time.

Just a quick note, there is a shooting league starting at the Sherburne County Sheriffs Department indoor range (Elk River). I will try to find the information and get it to you.

This weekend we will not need "Sun Block' , but the AC is no to keep the house cool.

Get in the car and make a drive to Texas. You may not want to leave again.

Seven matches in one month is my January record.

:D

I didn't want to say it. Fuel to the fire and all... :ph34r: but since Alamo started. Go ahead and move to Central Texas. We shoot every weekend year round with matches on both Saturdays and Sundays and precious few weather cancellations. Yep, that's twice a week. If you live in the Dallas, Houston or San Antonio metro areas, you can also shoot matches weekday evenings. That's a mix of venues of course. ;)

Yo, Tim. Don't despair. It will get worse once you really start getting used to actually shooting!!!

You see here in sunny South and Central Florida you can find matches every single week-end, Saturdays and Sundays, and very often even on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights, pretty much every week of the year.

But this year with the hurricane season many of the ranges we used were severely damaged. If you want to find out what "withdrawal" suffering is all about ask any of the local shooters how they felt when they couldn't find a place to shoot in spite of great sunny weather.

So, while I could tease you like Alamo S. did above about moving here, I would only recommend it outside of the hurricane season. Maybe this hurricane season I'll move up tp Minn. ... but wait... don't you get tornadoes up there?

Suddenly that "sub-zero" weather shooting doesn't sound that bad. Just bundle up and use lighter oil in your guns. As for pasting the targets? Bring the wife with you! :D:o:wub:

the pasties tend to fly off en masse when shot in the cold...

Last time I shot outdoors it was so cold my glock frame shrunk so I couldn't get my locking block out. Also had a follower on a new mag split right down the center when I loaded it to capacity.

If it weren't for work, I'd probably move someplace warmer.