Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Threaded Barrels

Darianis

I would like to lay hands on a decent but inexpensive 9mm bbl. I have a Slide and an EGW cone comp. but it turns out that the bbl I have isn't suitable for major PF loads. I think the KKM bbls are priced pretty low but I can't seem to find one that will work for me.

I need a 5" ramped threaded Wilson/nowlins 9mm 1911 bbl for as close to 150 or less as possible.

Thanks

*edited* I changed my mind about the frams I plan on getting.

Edited by Darianis

Did you check with Chuck at shooters connection?

I just looked at his site again and he has a bull threaded but that won't work with my cone comp :(

I should probly call KKM directly. Does anyone know about what a bbl from them will cost setup like i need?

I dont think he has regular threaded barrels. I just got one in today for a customer that was a 6" barrel that needed to be cut and threaded by the gunsmith. Yea the barrel is 155.00 but you will have to pay somebody to cut and thread it. Kevin may do that but it will be more than the 155.00. The threaded barrels are not on his price sheet. Only the theaded bull barrels are there.

I was looking for a new threaded barrel too, finally decided to just order one from Bar-Sto since they give you the most options right there in the online order form as to length, ramp, threaded, etc...even ask you what kind of slide you're putting it in so they cut it correctly. Cost $215.00 but to my mind worth it since it'll arrive with less "fiddlin" time needed.

Again Brownell's comes to the rescue. Their catalog lists threaded barrels that can be used with "cones/comps" (575"-40) and are "ramped" either Wilson/Nowlin or Clark/Para. The barrels are made by both Nowlin and Clark and are top quality. They are also both threaded to a lenght of 6" which can be readily reduced and re-crowned to 5"+ length. When used with a cone/compensator the barrel usually must be over 5" to accomodate (a 5" slide) mounting and clearance for the first chamber. Having a maximum of only 5" total lenght will likely hinder installation of a cone comp, hence the usual offering of 6". These barrels are usually intended for gunsmith use as they will require cutting to size, re-crowning, chamber reaming and sometimes moving the thread further back, in addition of the normal "fitting". Prices in gun parts like everything have gone up, and "demanding" to only pay a maximum of $150.00 is not an issue any longer, especially with quality manufacturing. Although the Brownell's offerings do come close to those prices. Frankly, if you do not own or have access to the necessary equipment (like a metal turning lathe), and necessary reamers and know how, your "bargain" barrel will end up costing more than if you contacted a good smith to assist you.

Darianis-

I have been following with interest your various threads searching for "bargain everything", and your commendable interest in building your own Open Gun. It is a lofty goal, to say the least, and achievable. But you must beware of the old saying that you can't build a "silk purse out of a sows ear". The final result of your long hard earned money and time spent in your project will exactly reflect what you put into it. No more. No less. Maku mozo!!!!

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

you can't build a "silk purse out of a sows ear".

LoL yea that is true. But I can pinch every penny till it screams :D So far I have gotten some incrediable deals... such as the sti slide with STI slide lightning and Front and rear serations for 170 shipped. And I got an EGW 9 port comp for 53.

I'm not trying to cut any corners but I do want to get the best I can for the money. I don't need the latest and greatest just good and solid :)

I think of this process as vetting so to speak. I'm finding out just how fine I can cut it without going to far. I have a long way to go but I'm getting there.

Thanks again for all the info. I didn't know I needed to be looking at 6" bbls. That's a pretty big peice of information right there heh.

I'll be calling KKM tomorow to see what they can do for me.

BTW Shooters connection has a good price on STI frames 330. That's likely my next purchase.

Now I just have to convince my gunsmith to teach me everything he knows.

Edited by Darianis

If you are using a 5 inch slide and a cone comp then you don't want a 6 inch barrel. If you get one then you will have to cut and crown it and possibly thread it a little farther down the tube. If you are using the 5 inch slide and cone comp, you want a standard bushing type barrel threaded for your comp. The 5 inch barrel will be perfect in length. good luck.

Having a maximum of only 5" total lenght will likely hinder installation of a cone comp
The 5 inch barrel will be perfect in length

Ok now I'm confused :blink:

I will clarify, somehow. If you check on the comp you obtained, you will notice/measure how much of a thickness there is between the first opening of the first chamber and the muzzle of your slide. While most non-coned comps will need the extra length to be mounted into, usually 3/8" - 1/2"+, the coned comps thread and hold unto the barrel in the area behind, within the slide, and eliminate the bushing as they imitate a bull barrel lock up and bring up the usual .575"+ to around .700. But, or if the barrel is only 5" and/or flush with the muzzle then there will be a threaded area which opens up before the opening of the first chamber. In a normal slide with a standard barrel (.575") there usually is a small amount of barrel sticking forward of the slide, normally intended to allow the front thickness of the bushing, or around 1/8"+-. If your cone comp is designed that way, (as a properly designed cone comp should be) it will work and look "matched". Otherwise a longer barrel cut and matched to fit would be advisable. If you did not have a coned comp, then you would need a longer barrel, "and a bushing" for it to be possible.

The simple answer lyes in examining the dimensions of the "coned comp" you got, as some of the older designed .575"-40 coned comps were meant for the longer barrel along with the non coned comps. Yes, you could use the shorter barrels if you did not mind the unmatched muzzle and first chamber, and cleaning issues. Then and now most manufacturers did not offer as a standard item, a 5" threaded barrel. 6" threaded barrels have always been available as a "standard" stocking item, without a "special order" or additional charge. Any (willing) manufacturer (or gunsmith) can thread a standard 5" barrel for you, if that is what you require. But before you get your barrel, you'd do well to ascertain your needs by measuring your comp's shoulder to first chamber opening thickness.

I thought you said you had a "gunsmith" that was giving you advise? :mellow: