Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In-state Face To Face Handgun Sale: How?

I've sold several handguns (shipped to FFLs out of state) but I've never done an in-state, face to face sale. I've got a gun for sale now and it may go in-state this time. I'm in WA.

What all do I need to do/know for an in-state FTF sale?

I downloaded a very comprehensive "Bill of Sale" from one of these gunboards which looks like it would be great to use.

Any other tips/advice would be great. Thanks.

I'd suggest using a Bill of Sale in case there is any problem. For instance, if the gun is later stolen and used in a crime, you have documentation that you sold it. You can also include terms to protect yourself, such as the fact that the gun is sold "as-is" without any warranties. You can also add a term for the buyer to represent that he's legally allowed to possess guns. I could go on and on . . . obviously this is friendly advice and not legal advice.

Check your local and state laws to make sure the sale is legal.

I'm not aware of any laws in WA state that *require* a particular process for face-to-face transfers, so much of the question comes back to you. What do *you* want to accomplish?

If you want a "paper trail", showing that you no longer own the gun, in case it ever turns up badly somewhere, then a simple bill of sale, signed by both, dated, and including some positive ID (eg, the buyer's WA-state driver's license number) is plenty good enough. It documents that you sold the gun, and also documents that you verified the buyer is of sufficient age, and is a WA-state resident (since selling to a non-resident is a whole different can of worms). Note that it *is* a crime to knowingly sell a gun to someone who you reasonably believe to be ineligible to have a gun.

If you want to go a step beyond that, you can do a number of things. One would be to ask that the buyer show a WA-state concealed weapons permit. It is - at some level - a relatively good indicator that the person is not otherwise prohibited from buying or possessing a firearm.

If you really want to make it a rock-solid deal, do the sale thru a gun shop. For a nominal feel (20-30 bucks), most gun shops will do the transfer, which means a full log entry and NICS check just as if it was an interstate transfer.

BTW, here's a link to the ATF FAQ about private-party transfers,

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

...a link to the section of WA-state laws covering firearms

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

... and a link to the [optional] private-party transfer form available through the WA department of licensing

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.htm

Please note - I'm not a lawyer, don't even know one. And, be advised that while WA-state law has a "pre-emption" clause which says that counties and cities canNOT pass gun laws that are more restrictive than the state laws, some cities (eg, Seattle) do find ways to put local hurdles in the way, so... if you really want to cover your bases, might be a good idea to call the local city-hall and ask what they believe to be "required".

Bruce

+1 to what BGary said. And I am a lawyer. I know the federal laws, but nothing about WA laws.

At a minimum, the Bill of Sale should include the date, make and model and serial number of the gun, names of buyer and seller, and price.

Not to be a smart a$$.

Why don't you just take it to the local FFL dealer and have him log it it in his book and make the buyer fill out a 4473 form. It may cost a few bucks.

Everyone in Waco, TX charged a minimum of $50...when they would do something like that. I'd love to see someone do transfers for $20 here in northern VA.

I don't see why FFLs are jacking up the costs of doing transfers. If they kept them a reasonable $20 or so, they'd make a decent profit for minimal work, and they could keep a smaller inventory (less inventory tax to pay).

Sounds like you'd need to find out if a gun is treated differently than a lamp in your state. If so, at what level.

(I have an ATF publicatin from a few years ago that lists all the state and local laws...from a couple of years ago. But, I'm out of town. You should be able to find those laws on the internet for your state.)

google search for "gun transfers in washington state"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gun+t...n+state&spell=1

Not to be a smart a$$.

Why don't you just take it to the local FFL dealer and have him log it it in his book and make the buyer fill out a 4473 form. It may cost a few bucks.

Because I've figured out clearly that it's not required in my state.

Not to be smart-a$$ but why don't you take all of your toys down to your local PD and ATF office and ask them if they see anything they'd possibly like to confiscate? Or take all your past tax returns to the IRS? Answer: Because it's none of their business and it just encourages potenital abuse of dubious authority.

Edited by Eager

Yup. So there's the other half of the face-to-face transfer equation.

Since there is no formal requirement (as far as I know) in Washington state, you are primarily bound by what *you* feel you need to cover yourself.

If you want a paper trail to prove that you sold it, you can create one.

If you don't need that paper trail, for whatever reason... you don't have to create one. In fact, there may actually be reasons to *not* create a paper trail, if you are comfortable with the idea that your only answer, should the serial number track back to you someday, would be to say "I no longer have it".

I actually stand on both sides of that line. I generally do an informal bill of sale, but generally contend that the *only* time that piece of paper is relevant is if I have to *prove* that I don't have the firearm. For the most part, "I no longer have it" appears to be a complete and indisputable answer to most foreseeable inquiries.

Bruce (who changed insurance companies when my old homeowner's policy said they needed make, model and serial number for everything in my safe before they would cover it)

Just to reitterate, I stated that I would use a comprehensive "Bill of Sale". It looks like even this isn't required, but it will create a "paper trail of comfort" for myself, but I won't pay for a NICS check because it's unecessary, anti-freedom and seems like it would just encourage bureaucractic meddling.

Edited by Eager

Eager, when doing FTF transfers, make sure you have proof to whom you transfered the gun. ID's can be faked. The NICS system probably won't be wrong. Not everyone will tell you they have an active OP, which more or less prevents them from purchasing a gun.

Also beware of the "Straw" purchaser. This is a person that buys a gun for someone that cannot legally purchase it themself. This happens more than you might think.

Bottom line: Know who you are dealing with.