Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Wilson

Lee Watne

I just got the March/April issue of Front Sight. The article on Bill Wilson shows him using a two hand holding method, not often seen, which is the crossed thumbs method. I know these are old pictures, but does anybody know the history of this technique?

L Patterson, look at the new posters that you are suppose to post on the walls when you teach basic pistol. You will see that crossing your thumbs is ONE of the two techniques that are taught as acceptable. I shot my revolvers this way. The two thumbs forward is also on that same poster that the NRA provides.

From a relatively new NRA instructor

Many self defense schools teach the thumbs locked method. It's a firmer grip on the pistol that is supposed to make it that much harder for the bad guy to get your gun from you. I think I'd shoot before he got that close. :o

L Patterson, look at the new posters that you are suppose to post on the walls when you teach basic pistol. You will see that crossing your thumbs is ONE of the two techniques that are taught as acceptable. I shot my revolvers this way. The two thumbs forward is also on that same poster that the NRA provides.

From a relatively new NRA instructor

Thank you because our vis aids are about 10 years old. I will contact our chief instructor so he can up date.

"Worked" untill you bumped your safety back on. (1911's) The wide use of 1911's probably cured us of crossed thumbs. Thanks for the info. I always wondered where some of these habits came from. If we didn't try new things we would still be shooting pistols with one hand.

Edited by Lee Watne