Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 or G22?

so-so

want to buy a new toy and maybe get into competition shooting (getting board of paper&cans ) shot 357 for ever want to try something dif thought about glock 22-35? any help would be appreciated.

The G35 will give you a little more sight radius due to the longer slide, and would be a better choice if you move on to IPSC shooting.

I'm happy with my G35. I've shot it in about three matches a month for the better part of a year, and had only one failure that's the gun's fault. If you bought a G22, you'd need to get the lighter trigger disconnect. You would probably want the extended mag and slide releases, also, They all come with the 35.

I'd heard that it was a little slower in transition than the G22, but I guess I'm not good enough to notice the difference.

Going against the grain, but I prefer the G22 to the 35. I like the balance better, I like the way it moves better too. It is marginally snappier in recoil, but I like that too.

Same thing in 9mm, I prefer the 17 to the 34.

so-so Welcome to the forum.

I'd vote for the G35 also. Works for both IDPA and IPSC. It was built for competition. Nothing wrong with a G22 however. Guess the bottom line is go rent both at a local range and see what you prefer. Just realize you may not leave it in it's stock configuration very long. There are several posts here discussing all the modifincations you can do to enhance it's performance.

im still waiting for my 34 to come in. If I reloaded I would have went with the 35 but 9mm is so much cheaper to buy.

That's why I bought the G35 and a 9mm conversion barrel for $150. I can shoot either .40 or 9mm in it by changing only the barrel.

I vote for the G35, I'm loving mine.

im still waiting for my 34 to come in. If I reloaded I would have went with the 35 but 9mm is so much cheaper to buy.

That's why I bought the G35 and a 9mm conversion barrel for $150. I can shoot either .40 or 9mm in it by changing only the barrel.

so-so,

G35 is pretty sweet out of the box.

Bountyhunter,

Where did you get the conversion barrel ?

Travis F.

I haven't done a direct side-by-side comparison, but I shoot a G22 and like the way it points and handles. When I tried a G35, it seemed to get more muzzle flip to me. FYI, you can pick up rebuilt G22's cheap from Summit Gun Broker. I bought mine that way. Same warranty and hard to tell they're not new. I think I paid $365 for mine, including 3 mags.

so-so,

G35 is pretty sweet out of the box.

Bountyhunter,

Where did you get the conversion barrel ?

Travis F.

Mine is EFK Firedragon. I believe Barsto also makes them, but EFK is about $60 cheaper.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/

It's $145 for a standard G-35 9mm conversion barrel. $185 for extended and ported version. All their barrels are polished stainless. I have three of theirs and all have been perfect.

Have you tried the 9mm drop in yet?

Any issues?

Actually, the 9mm barrel is all I shoot. It functions 100% with the stock (.40) recoil spring. I did have to buy 9mm magazines, their .40 mags don't feed 9mm (Beretta's do BTW).

The only "issue" I had is that the EFK barrel is machined to such tight specs so the throat is "dead on" size which meant some crappy 9mm reload ammo I bought was tight in the throat and not feeding right. A couple of my other 9's didn't like the ammo either, so it's not a gun problem.

The EFK barrel feeds new 9mm ammo fine.

I shoot the reload junk in guns with a really loose barrel (my CZ, Beretta and my 1911).

Edited by bountyhunter

want to buy a new toy and maybe get into competition shooting

What type of competition? If IPSC will you shoot production only, or limited also? Will you use a speed holster? A G22 comes out of a standard holster a little faster, but other than that my vote goes to G35. With a G35, the extra weight of the slide along with an extended tungsten guide rod and a heavy magwell makes for an excellent shooting limited gun. Whichever you choose you can't really go wrong. Glock is an excellent choice to start with as it will run out of the box and won't break the bank. Have fun!

Having owned and shot a 22, 24, and a 35 ......... I would say the 24 can be a tad on the slow side in drawing and transitions due to the extra weight, and the same would apply to the 35, just marginally less since there's less weight.

Is this going to be a dual purpose gun? Home or personal use as well as USPSA? Might want to stick with the 22 if it is. I shoot a stock 17 in Production while all around me people are using 34's and I do all right. My 17 was used and therefore cheap so I can't complain.

Whichever you choose you can't really go wrong. Glock is an excellent choice to start with as it will run out of the box and won't break the bank. Have fun!

I aggree. ;)

:angry:

so-so Welcome to the forum.

I'd vote for the G35 also. Works for both IDPA and IPSC. It was built for competition. Nothing wrong with a G22 however. Guess the bottom line is go rent both at a local range and see what you prefer. Just realize you may not leave it in it's stock configuration very long. There are several posts here discussing all the modifincations you can do to enhance it's performance.

Thanks I found a range close by see if they have 35 or22 to test also found a gun club to watch a shoot on sun let you know what happens.

What a bust called 3 dif gun range nobudy had 22 or 35 and it rained all day today -no shoot thursday gun shop has a glock sale have to decied by then??? thanks for all the replys . next will be a holster?

Edited by so-so

If you are buying new, and just for competition, then get the G35.

If you plan to carry with it also, then the G22 might come up to about even.

If you are buying used, then there are great deals to be had on G22's...often police trade in guns. Very affordable.

I have a Glock 34 but wanted to try .40S&W so I started looking for a G35. Ran into a good deal on a G22 but wish I had waited for the G35. The G22 is OK but the G34 balances better for me so I expect the G35 would also. If it is for competition, get the G35 and you won't be sorry.

G35. You could shoot G35 in USPSA Production, Limited, Limited 10, and IDPA SSP or ESP. It would be a great all around gun. You could also carry it.

The key is to pick one, get used to it, and practice.

glock17w