Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Index Ring Broke On New Machine After 2000 Rounds

broke index ring on new 650 after 2000 rounds have new part and allignment tool. pretty sure did not short stroke or double stroke handle,talked with dillon. other than just fatique on this part do you have a weird reason you broke a index ring before. I wont wait to reload for the weekend match a couple of days before again. don't want to replace indexer for several 10s of thousand rounds

If the primer seating punch sticks up and fails to retract, that can break the ring indexer. If the set screw that locks the shellplate bolt isn't snug, then the shellplate bolt tightens as the shellplate rotates, breaking the die lock ring. Using petroleum-based solvents, such as acetone, gun scrubber, brake cleaner, etc, to clean the machine will cause the plastic to deteriorate and break. Be sure to grease both the inside of the ring and the camming surfaces using sticky grease. :ph34r:

I am on my third ring indexer on my XL650.

Both indexers were broken on the downstroke after a primer had wedged itself cocked in the primer feed and binding the shellplate.

Finally ( with Dillon's excellent help line crew ) determined that this batch of Federal small primers had a few with high anvils, causing this problem. Anvils were catching and causing the tipping/wedge effect.

Switched to Win. WSP problem solved.

Travis F.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

In my case, the ring broke because of the volatile temper of a red-headed Irishman.

Okay, I've confessed. The trigger for my ire was the accumulation of spent primers in the slide area. I have installed the primer cup replacement, but this was my first use of small primers since making that change, and they were piling up before dropping into the tube. I used a countersink to enlarge the hose fitting at the top, and all's well now.

I don't want to get preachy, but we should all recognize that jams on the 650 are seldom, if ever, corrected by the use of brute force. Forcing the machine can result in broken parts and possibly detonated primers. I hope you'll all join me in taking the pledge to correct future jams by thinking instead of brute force.

.... surfaces using sticky grease. :ph34r:

+1, I use Slide Glide for this

double +1 on the slide glide :D

I have found many more uses for it than just on pistols. If you get some, buy the tub and get some "flux brushes", you will be glad you did. :cheers: