Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening The Slide

Joneser5000

I was always taught the heavier the pistol the less felt recoil. I notice the difference between a S&W ultralite 357mag and a 6"Colt Python 357mag. How is that different in this aplication?

There's no reciprocating mass with a revolver, though, is there....

I was always taught the heavier the pistol the less felt recoil. I notice the difference between a S&W ultralite 357mag and a 6"Colt Python 357mag. How is that different in this aplication?

The moving slide forms a "recoil absorber" which spreads out the total recoil energy over time, thereby reducing the peak (maximum) recoil pulse your hand feels. A revo has no moving part so it is just one single THUMP of recoil, while an auto has the initial pulse and a sustained (increasing) pulse as the slide moves against the recoil spring, then a final pulse as the slide hits the frame.

Changing to lighter recoil springs in an auto make felt recoil appear less because they allow the slide (which is the recoil absorbing element) to move more easily, at a lower initial recoil force level.

The reason long barreled revos have less felt recoil (and less muzzle rise) is that they have more total mass and more mass out at the barrel end to keep the gun in place. The recoil pulse has to overcome the inertia of the gun's mass, so: more mass = less felt recoil.

You probably don't need to go drilling holes in your Glock slide.

(Down side to holes is that it can make the slide weaker, easier to crack.)

And let the inside of the gun fill up with crap.

Edited by bountyhunter

Duck,

I have been shooting a 35 in IDPA,USPSA and GSSF matches for a couple of years and haven't had anything get in the gun.It gets no dirtier than my G22,17,21,37,27.I think the 35 balances alot better than the others.As for as cutting or drilling my own holes in the gun "not gonna happen".If I felt that the lock time of the gun was holding me back and that would help maybe I would but it will be along time before I'm that good.Ken

Edited by Sniper1Moore

I think radically changing the weight of the slide, such as making it out of tungsten, would cause more problems than it solves.

Adding a little extra weight by filling in the cutout would add strength and weight, without throwing the whole system too far off it's original design.