Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol is .40 cal STI, built years ago, many rounds through it. It is well broke in...several times. The pistol will shoot perfectly for some period of time...it could be 10 full mags to 25 or so...and then it will jam 4 or 5 shots in a row...the cartridge not going all the way into chamber...tap on the back of slide and it is good to go...and after it chokes a few times it will shoot great...then do it again. Shooting WWB ammo....but has done it with handloads, blazer, etc.

It makes no sense to me. Thoughts?

Have you polished the feed ramp and chamber lately?

Yes, what is driving me nuts is how you cannot predict it...it might happen the first mag after cleaning...it might run 300 rounds...there just seems to be no pattern to it.

Worn firing pin stop, allowing extractor to rotate slightly? Worn link, allowing the barrel

to maybe drag the hood on the slide or bump a locking lug? Intermittent problems like

this suck!

A few thoughts:

First of all, this is the type of malfunction that drives a shooter crazy and often cannot be diagnosed except by eliminating possibilities.

1. Doesn't sound like a magazine problem based on your description of the malfunction. But a basic action, in any situation like yours, is to make sure the malfunction isn't limited to one mag-if so, put it away, see if any more happen. Doubt that is the problem, but check it anyway.

2. Doesn't sound like an ammo problem ONLY because you said it happens with reloads and factory. One easy way to find out is to wait till it happens and DON'T tap the slide to chamber it and continue, rather, stop and eject that round and check it visually and with the gauge.

3. Doesn't sound like a dirty chamber problem ONLY because you said it happens sometimes right after cleaning. Again, next time stop, eject the round and disassemble the gun and look at the chamber. See if there's something amiss in there.

BIG Problem with 2 & 3 is that in a match you will have to quit. Yuck! But, if this problem only occurs then, how else are you gonna find out what the problem is and fix it so it doesn't happen again? Of course if you can get it to happen in practice, you can resolve these two issues on the spot.

4. If it is not the ammo, the mag or the chamber, then you must have something worn as noted above by the other posters. You can visually check (or get a good 'smith to look at these things) and, if nothing appears amiss, start by replacing the extractor.

I would still bet on #2 or #3 above or a combination of both unless you have a really worn gun.

Please let us know what you find and I hope you find it sooner rather than later.

Not sure if this is the place for this or not, BUT,

I have shot 3 or 4 S/S classafiers since the new

year began, and have not seen them on my report.

Just where does the hit factor go when the MD sends

it in to USPSA with the $ 2.50 or what ever it is?

If it is not being recorded, why send in the $ 2.50

each time. The club could use the money for

targets and what ever. The money for just one

person is not much, but should a group of shooters

start shooting the S/S division, then it begins

to add up.

Gene

A793

Hard to tell without any further indication.

I'd suggest next time this happens you tap the rear of the slide (I assume the gun is not in battery for a few mm), then extract the complete round and inspect it for visual clues of what happened (i.e. dents, bumps or whatever) and post back evidence you found.

Edited by Skywalker

What powder are you using? Do you lube your cases? I have had similiar problems and have tracked it down to not cleaning my rounds after loading. Believe it or not, the case lube was trapping grains of powder and these were large and hard enough if they ended up in the chamber to keep rounds from fully chambering.