Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L10 .45 Or .40

Dusty

My take, after a little research, and experience? Don't trust much of anything in a 1911 w/ an external extractor. The Sig - maybe. The others... not for me. Personally, I have an STI Trojan in .40 for L-10, et al. SV makes a single stack, as well. Those two would also be good choices. Older Kimber. New SA. Sig looks nice, too. S&W, maybe??

Wasn't the gsr's having problems with thier extractror's breaking? I have 2 buddies that have gone through 2 extractors each, with low miles on their gun.

But they do look sweet, but wont get one till they get that problem fixed. sorry for thread drift.

Kimber has phased out all external extractor guns. And they needed to...

Smith & Wesson is running an extractor design based on the old school Model 39 and after (what?) 2 plus years of S&W 1911's I have not heard of any extractor related problems. The Kimber issues showed up nearly immediately.

And as for so called gunshop experts, take it with a grain of salt. A good percentage of the guys that work behind the counter have some kind of bias or prejudice in regards to manufacturers. Those guys always remember the one bad apple and not the hundreds of good ones.

Kimber has phased out all external extractor guns. And they needed to...

Smith & Wesson is running an extractor design based on the old school Model 39 and after (what?) 2 plus years of S&W 1911's I have not heard of any extractor related problems. The Kimber issues showed up nearly immediately.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=309643

EricW has a bunch of other posts on the S&W external extractor issues, too.

There will always be lemons. I have had dealers complaining about the quality of out of the box Trojans as well.

Me too :) Mine was an early model and had some feeding issues - but it's a .40, and SS .40s are somewhat notorius, so...

I think every dealer has issues occasionally - the problem I was trying to point out was severe design problems that aren't ever going to work. Glad to see Kimber has dropped that worthless external design they had ;) I might consider one again in the future, then....

I think every dealer has issues occasionally - the problem I was trying to point out was severe design problems that aren't ever going to work. Glad to see Kimber has dropped that worthless external design they had I might consider one again in the future, then....

You are 100% correct!

Dusty,

I re-read this topic several times because it is a subject that is near and dear to me.

Although I compete in Limited also, I find L10 to be very challenging and very interesting.

I see no real advantage in L10 between 40 and 45.

As others have pointed out, you can win with a 45 single stack 1911, if you have the skills to do so.

If you lack the skills, it doesn't matter what you shoot.

That having been said, I think the question you really wanted to ask was:

"Skill level not withstanding, what equipment gives me the best opportunity to win in this division?"

I can't give you any perspective on the Kimber because I have never shot one.

I can tell you that I own a Springfield "loaded 1911" and it is a fine gun.

I will also admit that I was not happy with the accuracy out of the box.

I has a gunsmith hand fit a match barrel and bushing and it became the most accurate pistol I have ever owned.

If you decide to buy a single stack I would compete in that division.

That way you are on a level playing field competing with others with basically the same type of gun.

You can compete in L10 with a SS as many people do.

However, I don't think it is the ideal gun for that division.

You will find shooters with single action, double actions, Glocks, 1911s, double stacks, LDAs, you name it.

IMHO the ideal rig for L10 is a wide 45.

You should consider something like a P14.45 Para Ltd.

With an Ice magwell and speed holster it would give you every advantage allowable under the L10 rules.

You could probably pick one up for about the same money as a good 1911

The only disadvantage is that a single stack lets you compete in both SS and L10.

That and the fact that Xre will call you a wimp. :rolleyes:

Tls

what holsters are legal for L10 and single stack. Are the Safariland speed holsters legal? What model are the top dogs using for L10 and SS? I know everyone says that you should try diff. stuff out to see what you like, but when I started shooting CAS I got the same advice. In the end I had a bunch of junk people where selling me that didn't work. I then bought a Kirkpatrick rig and had no other issues. That is why I was wandering what everyone was winning with. So I could save the hassle and get a top of the line rig.

That and the fact that Xre will call you a wimp. :rolleyes:

Wimp!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I think that's well put... :)

For shooting SSD and L-10, look at a Kydek DOH (Drop Offset Holster) like a BladeTech, or something. They're hell on the finish of the gun, if it's blued, but... they work for both. CR Speed belt. There's a lot of different mag pouch choices - no race pouches for SSD, but you could theoretically shoot the same ones for L-10 with no issues - in fact, I'd bet you'll be just as fast, or almost.

You'll just need two sets of mags to be competitive - 10 round mags for L-10, and 8 or 9 round mags for SSD (depending on caliber).

BTW - with my SS gun, shooting in L-10, I generally keep up with local Limited shooters who are in similar class rankings as me... so, just because the gun appears to be harder to load, doesn't mean it's less ideal for the game.

Pick which divisions you want to shoot with the pistol - either SSD/L-10, or Limited/L-10, and let that drive equipment. The former is going to be a bushing barreled, single stack gun. The latter, a bull barreled fat gun. My personal choice would be .40 for either one (especially the Limited version) - but .45 will do just fine.

+1 on the DOH Bladetech and CR Speed belt (with Safariland 773 pouches) for L-10.

Though the DOH takes a bit of getting used to thumb wise over a standard belt holster. ;) If you don't think about it you'll have no problem on the draw. However, if you've been shooting cowboy you probably won't notice...don't the holster rigs put the guns in dropped position anyway?

The Bladetech kydex will also give you some, flexibility as you can interchange between the standard Teklok attachment for a higher ride belt holser (read IDPA rules) and a DOH attachment with the same holster body. http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php?cat=257

For Single Stack L-10 mags (and SS mags in general) there are two choices Wilson and Tripp.

Edited by Middle Man