Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations On Marksmanship Coach For Private Lessons In Los Angel

I would say figure out what you are willing to pay and go asking around. Bringing a coach in obviously isn't cheap, but there are only 3 people in the world I would take a class from.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what the going rate is so don't really know how much to pay. I'm flexible and will pay whatever the market rate, and I figured it won't be too bad as I basically need another set of eyes (hopefully good ones) maybe once or twice a week for a limited number of weeks. Also, I'm coming in closer from ground zero compared to other more experienced shooters, so just about any decent coach will do. I don't even mind if they're not deadeye shooters themselves just as long as someone is knowledgeable and helps me correct some things.

Like with getting a golf pro to correct a swing, I can benefit from another set of (knowledgeable) eyes.

To answer your question.......a typical rate for the basic "marksmanship" instruction that you are seeking should not be more than $25 per hour.

That can go up/down a bit based on how availalable range time is in your part of the world, but much more than $25 per hour (without a clear reason why) should give you pause.

Of course, group instruction is cheaper, but you might not get the help you want/need.

Be verypicky......just because a guy has a hat or T-shirt that says "Instructor" doesn't make him one.

FY42385

Just a suggestion. Don't know if it will work in LA but if you were in this area I would say to you "Come on out to a match, watch the shooters, pick one or two of the better performers, and then approach them after the match to see if they might be interested in helping out". Ask the match director if he could recommend someone.

I can't claim to be one of the better shooters, but I've been around it long enough to know the basics and I've done some private instruction in the past. I do it for free because I'm not a big name shooter and I have an interest in getting new people into competitive shooting. I think if you can find yourself a USPSA match, you'll find some good folks who share that mindset.

John

Go to the Steel Challenge web site they have a school too. Mike can stear you

steelchallenge.com

You need more than eyes = A good coach will evaluate what you are capable of and help you set goals. A good coach will teach you how to learn. and how to take help.

A real good coach can tell you what you see with your eyes when you make a shot, and help you repete good shooting and let go of what does not work.

Some one that just tells you war the miss went is not a coach = It is not ware the miss is = "it is why"

Jamie

To answer your question.......a typical rate for the basic "marksmanship" instruction that you are seeking should not be more than $25 per hour.

FY42385

$25 an hour? Wow, it's that low? I guess that's good for someone like me in need of a coach. That will really help my cause, that's for sure.

FWIW, I'm an aspiring instructor myself and would have liked to see something more. Nothing expert-level serious and not for marksmanship or competitions, but for beginners and everyday people in need of learning gun safety.

For my elementary aged kids, I pay $60 per hour tennis lessons and even a little more for private golf lessons for them. About same when I hired a soccer coach for them before the start of last season. Those aren't big-time pros but just average market rates. Big-time tennis pros are going over $100 per hour.

Apples and oranges, I know. I haven't checked prices around yet but will do so, soon.

Edited by losangeles

Actually there are probably 4 shooters.

Max Michel

Travis Tomasie

Dave Sevigny

JJ Racaza

Your being a GM, Jake, does sorta limit the # of folks who have something to teach you :D .

While I love to take lessons from the best, even an A has something to teach me, and our club M's do too.

That being said, I've had lessons from Frank Garcia, Todd Jarrett, and Matt Burkett, as well as others outside the "sporting" aspect of pistol shooting. I got something from everybody.

S'true that going low end does have some risks, because unlearning bad habits is harder than learning the right ones from the beginnning, but I'll hazard the opinion that there's a lot of good instruction out there.

Mike Voigt is down in the Chino area and he can more than take care of you in improving your shooting. I've trained with him twice and will definitely go back.

You can reach him through USPSA.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

< 120 days left in the ROK

Anybody have any recommendations? I'd like to tighten up my handgun marksmanship at the range and would like someone who's a good coach.

Thanks.

I would try Taran Butler, he is one of the best guys I ever worked with. He is in the LA area and very easy to work with.

If you are interested in USPSA type shooting try going to the every Saturday USPSA match at Raahauges in Norco. If you are interested in IDPA type shooting try Prado Shooting Park in Chino on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays. Ask around when you get there, someone will give you some good recommendations.............