Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell Me About Area 2

ipscron2000

I'm thinking of going to Area 2 with a friend. We are interested in where is it held? How much, usually? How close is the range to Scottsdale or Prescott? How many days of shooting?

Someone please fill me in. :)

Ron Johnston

Ron,

In case you were not following the drama last year, A2 filled up in about 3 1/2 days. Needless to say, it is a good and challenging match (remember Dead Dog Saloon, everyone?) The best way to check out the range without traveling to Mesa is to install Google Earth on your computer and fly to: lat=33.489478155, lon=-111.624776674

That will put you about at the Chrono stage. See the attached image for last year's shooting schedule. We shot 5 stages on Friday and 5 stages on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. (Chrono counts as a stage) The match starts at 0-dark-30 and ends near sunset. (Short days in Nov!).

Here are a couple of threads on last year's match

click - click

click click..

Do a forum search on "Area 2" and you should find all sorts of good stuff.

But the most important link is this: Right Barb? ;)

post-400-1141183167.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
:D It is a great match and you will all have to come out and visit us to understand why we live and shoot in Arizona! Cool in the morning but tshirt weather by the afternoon in mid November. What more can you ask for....oh did we mention 11 killer stages and a great prize table? You get to see some of the best around shoot the match as well.....Just make sure you get that app in by the deadline or make sure Barb has chocolate :-)

Get a map! Notice the freeway system! I usually stay in Tempe AZ and catch the freeway which takes me almost to the range. It is less than a 30 minute commute. You can find cheaper places to stay in Mesa and Tempe whereas, Snottsdale can be pricey.

It is a very expansive match but the prize table is fantastic even if you are at the bottom (like I was). Read the directions about application submittal. Do NOT submit before the correct date.

It is cold and dark in the morning and warm to hot by the afternoon. It is by far and away the match of year. Stop by Red White and Brew for food and beers after shooting and you will see 20-30 shooters.

Get a map! Notice the freeway system! I usually stay in Tempe AZ and catch the freeway which takes me almost to the range. It is less than a 30 minute commute. You can find cheaper places to stay in Mesa and Tempe whereas, Snottsdale can be pricey.

It is a very expansive match but the prize table is fantastic even if you are at the bottom (like I was). Read the directions about application submittal. Do NOT submit before the correct date.

It is cold and dark in the morning and warm to hot by the afternoon. It is by far and away the match of year. Stop by Red White and Brew for food and beers after shooting and you will see 20-30 shooters.

I can't get any cheaper than staying with Grandma. She lives in Scottsdale.

Thanks for the info