Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handgun Italian Nationals 2006

Hi guys,

the 2006 Italian handgun nationals will be held in Terni - Le Marmore from June, 30, to July, 2.

It will be a 3-days, 21 stages (7 stages per day), 400 rounds match that will celebrate 20 years of IPSC Italy activity.

Match entry fee is € 140 (U.S. $ 170).

Registrations deadline is June, 20.

Registrations and all enquiries about match, gun importation or any other issue, can be sent directly to my e-mail address luca.zolla@galileoavionica.it or to IPSC Italy secretariat (guess who will receive and handle them :D ) via fax (+39.030.891.3070) or e-mail (segreteria@fitds.it).

The Match will be hosted in beautiful Umbria region, on the same range where ESC 2003 took place (you can have a look at the range and the surrounding area on ESC 2003 website), organized by the same match organization (with yours truly in charge of welcoming all foreign shooters).

The Range Master of the competition will be IROA B.o.D. member Kees Guichelaar: we will all benefit from his proven experience, along with ensuring the match a true international flavour.

We promise you will greatly enjoy your italian stay and experience a true taste of our best food and hospitality, along with an unforgettable match.

Of course, if you feel you have questions that might be interesting for anybody else, please do not hesitate to post'em here, where I will answer them publicly.

Hope to see you on the range: if we'll receive enough foreign registration I'll make sure to organize the first Italian Enos Forums members meeting!

Edited by Skywalker

Kath,

I'll be glad to work everything out for you and your husband, should you ever decide to come to Italy.

I've been living in Rome for 18 years before moving to NW Italy, and I still have my parents there. ;)

BTW, last month, when I came to attend the Florida Open, a Delta rount trip ticket Milan-Orlando (via Atalanta) costed me only € 550 in economy class, you might want to check this out.

Everybody:

I should have added that the procedure for legally importing your guns to Italy for a competition are quite easy.

You ask for invitation and temporary firearms permit to the match organization, and in a couple of weeks you get a module (that you have to fill in) that will allow you to enter Italy with max 3 guns and 1'000 rounds for a period of 3 months max.

This form will need to be stamped upon entering and leaving Italy by the border police (usually the airport police) to be officially endorsed.

[Porky Pig voice mode on]Tha-tha-tha-that's a-a-a-a-a-ll fo-fo-fo-lks![Porky Pig voice mode off]

Edited by Skywalker

Lawman,

unfortunately it does (silly laws), and this is the main reason we will never be able to bid for a lev.IV or V IPSC match: no 9x19mm caliber allowed in Italy (except local LEO and military).

Quick fixes: none that I know of. Sadly.

What gun are you shooting?

Kath,

you definitely don't want to come to Terni flying to Milan: Malpensa (Milan intl. airport) -Terni = 580 Km, Fiumicino (Rome intl. airport) - Terni = 136 Km...

I was only suggesting that the ticket prices you reported were perhaps a bit too steep.

I checked right now with Delta/Alitalia (Sky Alliance team) and a round-trip ticket Cincinnati-Rome is about US $1'300.

Anyway, for transportation and other area details I strongly suggest to have a look at ESC 2003 website (see inital post): it was created for foreign people willing to attend the European Shotgun Championship in Terni in 2003, and the info are still applicable.

For example, I could recommend a (very cheap nonetheless great) match hotel right near Marmore fall (highest fall in Europe) or one on the border of lovely lake of Piediluco.

Edited by Skywalker

Whew - I know I'm sometimes blonde, but I was pretty sure I knew how to read a map :)

I just spoke with our in-house travel agent at work and she said I won't see them much cheaper as summer is high-season in Italy and also that particular weekend is premium because it's a 4 day weekend for most of the U.S. She came up with $1144 as the cheapest.

Oh well, maybe we'll just come visit in the fall - I am really hoping to do this trip this year for our 20th anniversary :wub:

I shoot a Glock 17. I was actually considering a 9x21 bbl but I forgot it wouldn't work since it wouldn't be a factory Glock bbl. Oh well, maybe another time.

Lawman,

It shall work (provided it's a Glock barrel) because all 9mm Glocks sold here are sold from the OFM with a 9x21mm barrel. ;)

• 2 months later...

Update.

Stages have been approved: Nationals_2006_Brochure.zip

Please note that this will be a special celebrative match, where we wanted to trace the practical shooting path throughout its whole life, from the very early Southwest Pistol League to what it is nowadays.

For this reason we have included some classical "historical" exercises, a few standard exercises with virginia (3) and fixed time (1) scoring, as well as a mix of metric and classic targets, and plenty of references to what our sport was in the very early days.

making me drool.

Lemme check on flights....

Can I assume that a .40 Standard gun with high caps is LEGAL?? PM me with details, I'm serious about it if I can get a cheap flight through my mechanic brother.

EDITED to ADD:

I just downloaded and read through the match booklet, that looks like an OUTSTANDING match and I really hope I can make it.

Edited by dirtypool40

I'll add some first hand experience having visited Terni for 2 shotgun matches.

Outstanding!

Fantastic range, fantastic setting. I loved both trips.

If you get the chance give it a go. Rome is an easy train ride away and there are many fascinating local towns worth a visit in easy driving distance. Viterbo for one!

post-1449-1147369111_thumb.jpg post-1449-1147369149_thumb.jpg

post-1449-1147369175_thumb.jpg

post-1449-1147369221_thumb.jpg

Can I assume that a .40 Standard gun with high caps is LEGAL??

Eric,

anything except 9x19mm (a.k.a 9 Parabellum) is legal in Italy.

But then, after reading all my posts here concerning the quest for a reloadable 19-rounder with S_I/SPS .40" tubes, you still wonder about this? :P

All you need to do to attend a match here is: register with the match organization, asking them to provide a temporary firearms importation permit, that will allow you to legally enter Italy with up to 3 guns and 1'000 rounds of ammo for a period of 90 days.

This permit, issued by the police, usually takes some 2 weeks to be delivered to the MD, then we snail mail it along with the Entry form (match invitation) to the recipient.

Upon crossing italian borders (both upon arrival and leaving) you will need to have the border police stamp it.

That's all.

I do really hope you'll be able to make it!

Looking forward to see you on the range.

BTW, thanks for your appreciation for the match stages...it has been a though work to design them from the basic idea I had in mind, trying to adapt them to the current rulebook.

All,

in case you are wondering where Le Marmore Range is, and how to get there from Rome International Airport, I have attached a Google Earth file with locations and directions.

Rome___Le_Marmore.zip

Edited by Skywalker

As of today, flights from Cincinnati to Rome are $1600!

Kathy,

I know you are relatively new to Cincinnati, but I fly several times per month out of here so let me give you a tip... Take a look at air from Dayton (DAY), Columbus (CMH), Louisville (SDF), or Indianapolis (IND). All are only a 1:30 drive or less from Cincinnati (Indy is a little farther), and offer fares far lower than flying out of Cincinnati/Northern Kentucy (CVG)...

Of course, most of those airports route you back through CVG <_< , but that just builds your airline miles! B)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

the match is over, and it was a HUGE success.

Lotsa smiling faces (and some sunburned ones) during the match, and happy competitors at the end of the 3rd day.

For those of you that have been wondering what they missed, thanks to Dutch competitor Sasja Barentsen and his fiancée Hanneke, here you are a link to their photo gallery of the match: Italian Nationals 2006 photo gallery.

Let's just say this is sunset from the range at the end of day 2... :wub:

post-1869-1152177409.jpg

Edited by Skywalker

For those of you that have been wondering what they missed, thanks to Dutch competitor Sasja Barentsen and his fiancée Hanneke, here you are a link to their photo gallery of the match: Italian Nationals 2006 photo gallery.

Didn't know I was engaged :D

Had a truely excellent time at the match, combination of the weather, the range, the people, the stages. It all was very good.

Didn't know I was engaged :D

Well, don't ever dare to go shooting in Las Vegas then, they say weird things might happen there ... the kind of things you don't understand in the evening, and have no recollection in the morning, except for a piece of paper and a couple of nice shiny finger rings ... :P

Edited by Skywalker

Well, don't ever dare to go shooting in Las Vegas then, they say weird things might happen there ... the kind of things you don't understand in the evening, and have no recollection in the morning, except for a piece of paper and a couple of nice shiny finger rings ... :P

South western part of the US is actually one of our favorite vacation destinations. Been there on many occassions and still haven't gotten married.

Then again: What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas :)