Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Holster With Dawson Front

mscott

After installing my new Dawson front sight I found that my Glock doesn't fit into the Uncle Mikes holster any more due to the height of the front sight. I'm just looking for a belt holster that's legal for pretty much anything. I'm looking at Blade-Tech right now, but thought I'd ask for advice before buying something else that doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Blade Tech has clearance for MONSTER front sights. I have a .350" tall blade on a G17 and it fits in both of my Blade Techs.

I clearanced one Uncle Mikes for it too, heating and stretching the sight tunnel in the holster. It isn't exactly pretty but it works. Took about an hour of fiddling around, and not really worth it.

My Dawson front sight shaved minor amounts of kydex out of the channel on my Blade-tech DOH when I first used them together. It still rubs just a tad, but nothing to get excited about.

Your limiting factor for the holster will be IDPA rules, not USPSA. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the DOH isn't legal for IDPA anymore. They recently changed the rules, and I don't shoot IDPA.

I think the sooperhooper is still legal for IDPA as long as you cannot see through the belt loops when you are wearing it. If you are going to shoot IDPA, you will deffinately want to read their new rules before dropping the cash.

For the UM, you could dremel out a sight channel.

Or the Blade-tech (injection molded) belt holster has a great sight channel. Best one I've seen. It's what I use personally. (g34 with bomars and dawson fo front)

Also if you like the DOH, you can just buy the DOH attachment, which works with the injection molded holster. Holster + doh attachment = $25-30 As opposed to buying the regular DOH holster outright and paying $60.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

if you get a blade-tech DOH, order it over the phone (and make sure you let them know you have a tall front sight), rather than on their website. the one you get from a normal web order will not have the tall sight channel. while it's ok, a tall front sight will rub. i filed quite a bit of material out of mine, and it still rubs a little.

Thanks for the replies. I thought about working the Uncle Mikes over, but I think I'll just stick it in the drawer for now. It looks like Blade Tech has some good products, so I'll probably go with that. I'm not too concerned with IDPA, so I'll give the DOH a try and I'm considdering the injection molded along with the DOH attatchment.

It sounds as if you have decided on the Bladetech, but a big plus one on Kytac. I was able to "test drive" one for a 34 (w/ Dawsons) and it was great. Everyone rants about how fast they are, but apparently I'm not good enough to realize how quick the holster is. In fact, my new Kytac should be here in a couple days. I personally can't wait and I think I'll be ordering more than one.

BTW, if you don't care about an IDPA legal holster, call Kytac and let them know. They can "make it the right way". At least that's what I was told. Hope this helps.