Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Sc Comp + Poppel Holes?

harald

I have a S_I with a 5,5" Schuemann Ultimatch .355 and a Bedell Ti comp 7 Port Compenator

I was thinking on experimenting with poppel holes and a shorter comp on a simular barrel

How many holes and what short comps are good?

Does anyone make short Ti comps .685"-40 thread?

My loads are 38sc brass, 124gr fmj and 3N38 powder

Edited by harald

I have a S_I with a 5,5" Schuemann Ultimatch .355 and a Bedell Ti comp 7 Port Compenator

I was thinking on experimenting with poppel holes and a shorter comp on a simular barrel

How many holes and what short comps are good?

Does anyone make short Ti comps .685"-40 thread?

My loads are 38sc brass, 124gr fmj and 3N38 powder

It would help a lot if you illustrated what is it you are trying to accomplish or obtain as an end result. Specifically. Just to make holes in your barrel because they look cool and every one else has them, would be just following blindly.

On the other hand with a 5 1/2" barrel in .38 SC you have the potential for further "tailoring" your compensation/recoil management set-up. Just don't get carried away, especially with "big" holes. Are you planning on shooting lower weight (115gr.) bullets? Is your goal a "stationary red dot"?

I was hoping on less dot movment.

How little can I get my dot moving?

When i shoot slowly at a classic IPSC target and aim in the middle, my dot moves up to the top but stays on the target.

I live in Europa so my min. bullet weight is 120gr

I was hoping on less dot movment.

How little can I get my dot moving?

When i shoot slowly at a classic IPSC target and aim in the middle, my dot moves up to the top but stays on the target.

I live in Europa so my min. bullet weight is 120gr

Dan Bedell gave you a great combination with the Schuemann Ultimatch 5.5" barrel and the Titanium compensator. I would side with Paul.W in his comments. But being as it will be, since you want additional "flat" shooting capability, then your set-up is indeed a candidate for additional porting "pre-compensator". Direct porting does quite a bit to mitigate muzzle jump, but it will increase somewhat your perceived recoil. You will likely need a little bit more powder to "feed" your ports too, but VV 3n38 is great for direct porting.

You might consider contacting Eric Grauffel and discuss with him his style of V porting using "smaller" (which he prefers) port holes in the V pattern that also helps some with "torque" stabilization. I too like and use V style porting. Keep the ports small and slightly forward angled. You can increase the amount of ports as you go along, and their diameter if needed. Be also mindfull that you will need a "blast shield" to protect your optics. Whatever you do, unless you are very knowledgeable and properly skilled and equiped, defer this work to a professional with the correct equipment to handle this job. Good luck, and shoot all "A's".

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to build a new open gun and a very knowledgable gunsmith told me to keep it simple. No holes. Asside from "my hands are small like a womens" look at what the top shooters are shooting. full length, with no holes.

I am looking to build a new open gun and a very knowledgable gunsmith told me to keep it simple. No holes. Asside from "my hands are small like a womens" look at what the top shooters are shooting. full length, with no holes.

Uh, Eric G.: lotsa holes. Saul K.: holes. Max M.: holes. Todd J.: might have holes....

• 2 weeks later...

Todd Jarrett uses the TJ ports...inmagine that.

I really like the way a plain comp gun feels, no ports!

gun shooots soft, and tracks great. the 4 port hybrid shoots great too, but leaves your hands(and your ears) stinging after shooting.

Can you still get the SP2 where you live? seems like that powder felt really good to me.

Harmon