Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rude Fans

kimel

So the wife and I head off to our Saturday night hockey game (Go Chief's Go!). We take in between 15 and 20 games a year and are avid fans.

Tonight about two rows behind us are three jerks being VERY loud and very obnoxious. They are screaming obscenities at the team from Canada (Kootenay Ice), telling them that Canada sucks, and calling for Canadian blood to be spilled on the ice. There are two little girls (one is about 5 the other about 3) with mom and dad a couple rows in front of me. Those of us with ticket packages that have sat in this section know each other and are kind of like a big family.

Every time these jackasses go off the little girls start crying. These guys are LOUD and mean. I was actually surprised they didn't go off when the Canadian anthem was played.

Finally, I had reach my boiling point and went down in search of security to at least move these jerks. Security followed me back to the section and the jerks calmed down...but not for long. The action on the ice got the better of them and they went off once again calling for Canadian blood to be spilled.

The female security guard in the team went up to confront the jackasses while her very large partner (probably 6' 6" and 275 lbs...think defensive back) stayed down low observing. The jackasses pretty much told her that no "woman" was going to tell them how to behave at a hockey game.

Well, to make a long story shorter the three twits got to watch only 8 minutes of the game before they were ejected from the building. The security folks were exceptionally professional (not like the usual rent-a-cops you run into at all).

But this incident totally ruined the game for me. It wasn't until the 3rd period that I was able to calm down enough to enjoy the game again.

I just don't get why people would spend the money for a ticket just to be a jerk.

When I went for a beer in the 2nd intermission I ran into the security folks downstairs and thanked them for their quick action. They looked totally shocked that I was thanking them. I guess they don't get much of that.

WHL hockey is a family event. On Saturday night little kids often equal the number of adults in the stands. There is no place for this type of crap.

Stay home and get drunk and yell at the tv, but stay out of my hockey arena.

They expanded Autzen Stadium here in Eugene (Univ. of Oregon--the Ducks) recently and now the place holds about 50,000 [at great expense, too. You should see the skyboxes...!] The games have, however, become rowdy-er and rowdy-er. The last few games of the recent fall season were an embarrassment to the community... not to mention the visiting teams! God! We're talking the same kind of rude, insulting abuse Kevin was talking about... but the jerks didn't just yell at the players on the field, they got violent and insulting with visiting FANS in the bleachers!!! It was horrid. Security was not altogether prepared for it, either. It was overwhelming. What the hell is wrong with people, anyway...????!!!!! :wacko:

They're talking about making Autzen Stadium "dry." Period. Drink what you will at the pre-game tailgate parties, but after that you're dry. You'll be checked for 'carrying' at the gate. If you're carrying, it'll be confiscated. If you're already too drunk you'll likely be denied entry. I think they're going to clamp down for real next year. We can't have 50,000 jerks freaking out on each other. :angry::angry:

• 3 weeks later...

A few years back I was visiting a friend in Chicago and went to my first Cubs game ever. I was sitting down the right field line in Wrigley on a beautiful day having a wonderful time until these two young guys stumbled to their seats a few rows down from us. They had on dark glasses, no shirts, and were so drunk when they got there that I couldn't believe they let them in the stadium. They continued to pound back the Old Style's while spewing some pretty graphic obscenities about the game, the other team, etc. for the next three innings loud enough for the players on the field to hear. I was new to things so I just assumed it was all part of the SNL "Chicago Superfan" image but it was still kind of a shock to me that no one else seemed to notice or care. At least, not until one of the guys made the mistake of spitting on the ground at his feet. All the sudden everyone around me just pounced on these guys. A woman a few seats down was so upset and offended that she got to her feet and gave the guys a lecture on how they must not be from around there and didn't know any better but that they don't put up with that kind of sh!t in these stands and if they wanted to behave like that they could go back to St. Louis or wherever else they came from. Cracked me up.