Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Pistol Or Practical Pistol

TNK

Are the terms "action pistol" and "practical pistol" merely euphemisms for combat handgun matches as found in ISPC and IDPA, or are they specific disciplines with their own structures and rules? I ask because I hear the terms used from time to time and generally have no idea to what people are alluding. For instance, once, at a USPSA contest, I heard someone say that it was not a combat pistol match but an action pistol competition. Was he merely pussyfooting? A definition or specific application of the terms would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought so. I was just reading a thread below this one about the same problem (although from a somewhat more elaborated position). Anyway, I am not much of a competitor, but I enjoy learning to improve my gun-handling skills, which I think is only done by my participation in combat pistol matches.

Raised portion of the target ...or 'Head'? NO shoot ... or hostage? ...Procedural eror or wound?

One idea I would like to try is the RO gets an ice pick and every time the shooter makes a procedural eror he sticks em. :huh::wacko: Well not in the face or neck :wacko:

Sorry ...I should keep thoughts like that to my self

Edit edit= :o Did I say Ice Pick? I ment to say :rolleyes: 'Ice Cube'...yea... thats it ice cube. :rolleyes:

Edited by AlamoShooter

Raised portion of the target ...or 'Head'? NO shoot ... or hostage? ...Procedural eror or wound?

One idea I would like to try is the RO gets an ice pick and every time the shooter makes a procedural eror he sticks em. :huh::wacko: Well not in the face or neck :wacko:

Sorry ...I should keep thoughts like that to my self

Seek help...

My defensive pistol instructor sometimes carries one of those clear plastic spring fired airsoft guns (doesn't look anything like an actual gun), and will shoot you with it on exposed skin if you screw up too badly. During one of my stumbles through a scenario he ran out of airsoft ammo and I came out looking like I had some sort of strange pox. So, please, no ice picks or cattle prods!

I remember being at a match and the Ro had a 'Big'! 14" knife on his back hip. ... I just cant remember whare we were.

And yes Ben I have Looked for help...I am smarter than to take help from someone that would be willing to help someone like me. :huh: I have standards :huh:

Deleat 'Ice pick' and put in Ice cube.

Aha... what was this about? :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

What I like about USPSA/IPSC is that I can make it my own game. I use it to improve my pistolcraft. I have no illusions about becoming a top competitor because I am slow. But I learn to handle the pistol with more confidence, and I like being out-of-doors for a while. It is too bad that more pistol shooters cannot join me in this endeavor. I have seen many people try it once and not return because they did not do well the first time out. I guess they don't love their pistols as much as they profess because, if they did, they would endure the last place standings (as I do) to improve. So, call it what you will, as long as you learn to call your shots.