Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup With Lead In 45?

Cuz

I'm switching to a 225 gr lead round nose flat point Oregon Trail bullet for all my .45 shooting. Mostly pins and plates. I was using WST powder but have been unhappy with it. Before I go back to Bullseye I figure I should at least try TiteGroup since I'm already using it for my .40 loads. Anyone using TG with lead bullets? I can't find any data so please send what you're using so I can have a guide.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

45 Colt or 45 ACP.

IF for 45ACP I have load the following. The bullet I used was actually weighed out at 220gr and I loaded exactly the same as the 230RN.

OAL 1.250".

4.0gr = 670fps

4.5gr = 770fps

IF for 45Colt. A freind uses these for Cowboy, 200gr FN. He loads these on my Dillon RL550.

5.5gr = 750fps, real accurate in his Ruger Vaquero (old model).

Try that load and see, he started 1 grain under what Hodgdon reccommend and has never changed. Hodgdon give 5.8gr for a 230gr RNFP = 850fps in a 7 1/2 barrel. So work from there

45 Colt or 45 ACP.

IF for 45ACP I have load the following. The bullet I used was actually weighed out at 220gr and I loaded exactly the same as the 230RN.

OAL 1.250".

4.0gr = 670fps

4.5gr = 770fps

IF for 45Colt. A freind uses these for Cowboy, 200gr FN. He loads these on my Dillon RL550.

5.5gr = 750fps, real accurate in his Ruger Vaquero (old model).

Try that load and see, he started 1 grain under what Hodgdon reccommend and has never changed. Hodgdon give 5.8gr for a 230gr RNFP = 850fps in a 7 1/2 barrel. So work from there

Oops. I guess I should have said it was for 45 acp. thanks for the info.

-Cuz

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with 4.5 grains...but one caveat...titegroup with lead make lots of smoke...the super-smoker 1500....its bad.

Have you tried CLAYS?

if not give it a try. what did you not like about WST?

IMO 231 is a better(more accurate, less smokey) lead bullet powder than titegroup

harmon

Like Harmon said, Tite-Group smokes like a coal fired train with lead bullets. If there isn't any wind or you are indoors you will need a thermal imaging C-More to have any hope of hitting anything after a couple shots. Well, OK, that is a little bit of a stretch, but it smokes heavily.

For lead bullets and targets: Clays.

For lead bullets and full power: Unique or Power Pistol.

I would go with 4.5 grains...but one caveat...titegroup with lead make lots of smoke...the super-smoker 1500....its bad.

Have you tried CLAYS?

IMO 231 is a better(more accurate, less smokey) lead bullet powder than titegroup

harmon

Well, it looks like I may have been mistaken. What I thought was an accuracy problem that I was blaming on WST powder turned out to be a gun problem. I had a dinged up barrel crown and a bent guide rod. Damn, I can't believe WST did all that to my gun :)

It's in the shop now getting a new bushing fitted, barrel recrowned and guide rod fixed/replaced. I should have it back tomorrow and will re-test next week. Man, I can't believe all the time I wasted trying to find an accurate load for this stupid gun. The fact that just about all test loads shot fine in my 625 revolver should have been a tip off, but sometimes I can be pretty stubborn.

-Cuz.

While I love TiteGroup for .40 jacketed/plated loads, you'd have less smoke using blackpowder in either the .40 or .45 ;)

Plain Old Clays is what you need for .45 lead loads. I haven't found anything better.

While I love TiteGroup for .40 jacketed/plated loads, you'd have less smoke using blackpowder in either the .40 or .45 ;)

Plain Old Clays is what you need for .45 lead loads. I haven't found anything better.

How does Vitauri n320 work with lead bullets?

Have you tried CLAYS?

harmon

Well, it looks like I may have been mistaken. What I thought was an accuracy problem that I was blaming on WST powder turned out to be a gun problem. I had a dinged up barrel crown and a bent guide rod. Damn, I can't believe WST did all that to my gun :)

It's in the shop now getting a new bushing fitted, barrel recrowned and guide rod fixed/replaced. I should have it back tomorrow and will re-test next week. Man, I can't believe all the time I wasted trying to find an accurate load for this stupid gun. The fact that just about all test loads shot fine in my 625 revolver should have been a tip off, but sometimes I can be pretty stubborn.

-Cuz.

How did you figure out the crown was bad?

How does it compare to good old fashioned Bullseye? I've never tried Clays, but it seems that when ever I do try a new powder I always come back to Bullseye in 45.

-Cuz

Bullseye smokes more.

My search for the perfect powder centered around smoke with lead bullets. Except for Universal Clays, I never had any accuracy or SD problems with anything I tried.

N320 is good as well, but way too expensive for what I think are the same results I can get with Plain Old Clays. I used more N340, but only because that's all that was available one of the few times I decided to get powder locally (actually that's how I ended up with the Universal Clays too).

I have already tested every bullet lube possible and settled on 3 choices with little to no difference. Thompson Blue Angel, Rooster Red Zambini and Jake's Purple Ceresin.

Bullseye smokes more.

My search for the perfect powder centered around smoke with lead bullets. Except for Universal Clays, I never had any accuracy or SD problems with anything I tried.

Did I misunderstand you? Does the above statement mean all powders except Clays produced good accuracy? Was Clays better or worse than the others?

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Sorry about that.

Universal Clays was the only powder that gave me accuracy problems. Huge variation between high and low velocity. If I was looking for a max .45 load, then it may have been OK, but for major PF, it is no good.

Pretty much anything is accurate in a .45, which is probably why you're asking for clarification.

Just so you know Cuz, there are three different powders with Clays in the name from Hodgdon. Universal Clays, International Clays, and Clays which is also known as straight Clays. I really like straight Clays with lead in the 45ACP, had problems with Universal Clays just like JFD. Titegroup smokes and leads the barrel more due to it burning hotter than others.