Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Satellite Radio Receivers

My darling wife bought me an XM Xpress Satellite Radio Receiver for Valentine's day. :wub:

Its features look way cool, but after reading this thread I've decided to go with the Sirius network.

Does anyone know if this is feasable or should I exchange the (unopened) Xpress for a "Sirius-compatible" radio?

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Technical Geekery: The satellites are in very different orbits, with differing signals is why..

"XM has two Boeing 702 satellites that transmit its signal to cars and homes across the country. The satellites are called Rock (XM-2) and Roll (XM-1) and they were launched, respectively, on March 18 and May 8, 2001. They are now positioned over the east and west coasts in stationary geosynchronous transfer orbits"
"Sirius broadcasts satellite radio from three satellites, which were launched in 2000 from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in the Republic of Kazakhstan. The satellites typically fly in orbit, between 15,200 and 29,280 miles above the earth's surface.

The three solar-powered satellites follow one after the other, so when one passes out of the Northern Hemisphere, for example, another is right behind it to provide uninterrupted transmission. Two ground stations, one in Ecuador and another in Panama, are in constant contact with the satellites. "

It's all included in the package. :) (value added)

I think it may truely be free on AIM (instant messenger...not AOL). I downloaded the latest version of that last night. It is a free service (as far as I know) and it pops right up with XM (aol radio).