Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Great Escape

benos

Any movie that inspires both a TV series and a claymation remake has got to be a classic.

Trivia just for fun since jmaass cleaned up in the Win a Book trivia...

Who was Steve McQueen's stunt double for the motorcycle jump?

What alias did McQueen use when he entered the Elsinore GP?

(Edited by Erik Warren at 12:23 pm on Feb. 5, 2003)

What a movie, what a cast.  No, I don't think he did his own jump, but I can't think who did the actual jump for him, probably the guy who was Burt Reynolds stunt buddy, who wrote and directed Smokey and the Bandit.

My guess is that Hal Needham did the jump.

As Captain Virgil Hilts, The Kooler King, McQueen did most of the practice jumps himself but the stunt double did the final take for the shot.  While painted war time colors, the cycle was a 1961 Triumph Bonneville; two were outfitted for the film and this sequence.

(Edited by tightloop at 8:10 am on Feb. 5, 2003)

(Edited by tightloop at 8:18 am on Feb. 5, 2003)

(Edited by tightloop at 8:24 am on Feb. 5, 2003)

Erik

Thread Drift ON:

Bruce Brown, who narrated On Any Sunday produced probably the two best documentary movies on surfing ever made.  You should know them easily.  However he made another one last year which is not so well known.  What are the names of those three surfing movies.

Drift OFF:

I remember watching a documentary where a couple of guys just went around the world and surfed.  Seemed like it was in the "Brady Bunch" time frame.

There was a sequel...I remember they went back to a beach in South Africa where a bunch of houses had been built.

That first movie was awesome...way cool.  (I think the second was too.)

Flex you are correct again, they were awesome.  

Endless Summer and the sequel

Endless Summer II

Be on the lookout for the new one which will hit the silver screens this summer, it is called Step Into Liquid and is supposed to offer a new film perspective on surfing.  enjoy