Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros And Cons Of Using Reloaded Ammo

wingz

good day fellows. just got my Permit To Transport (PTT) for my combat 9mm tanfoglio that i've asked for some infos from you guys a few months ago. i went to the range yesterday to "break in" my blaster. some guys who frequently shoot there advised me to use fmj instead of reloads. they say that i can't really bring out the full performance of my gun if i use the reloaded ones. taking the advice, i loaded my combat 9mm with nothing but fmj's: though the price hurts, the result came fine. can you please give me some infos on the pros and cons of using reloaded ammos? also what brand of ammo has the best performance review for the tanfoglio combat 9mm? thanks.

wingz

Edited by wingz

Reloading is better all the way around! You can tune the reload to your blaster to come up with the best results. Reloading is way cheaper. Reloading is fun.

The guys at your range must be on crack! If you only bought match ammo it could be more accurate than your carefully crafted handloads.

If you blaster has the wrong rifling (like Glocks) you may have to reload FMJ or JHP, or get an after market Barrel.

just about NO company pistol (Colt,Springfield,Par-ord ect) will warrent their pistol if used with reloads, I.E. if it brecks will using reloads the factory will not honor their warrenty, that being said, Welcome to the Shooting match :lol: , if you use reloads you can, download to the power factor for your division (limited,open ect) this will give you less recoil and better sight control, as well as SAVE you money, it don't take long to recover the money put out for a good reloader (Dillion, any of them) using once fired brass is also a big money saver! you can shop around for best buys of reloading supplies. And you are already miles ahead by being on this website, their are tons of information for reloading here. As well as anyone who is involved in shooting in any form. Now if you want a pistol that is covered for reloads try, Dawson,Brazo's, Tripp, Top shooting products, one and all.

good luck :)

Edited by G+16

Pros: Being able to wake up the morning of a match, load 400 rounds on the RL1050 in under 30 minutes (including filling primer tubes) and driving to the match (after stopping at McDonald's for breakfast) and making it with time to spare.

Cons: The looks I (used to) get from the airport shuttle guys (Matt B. knows this one) as they're wondering what the hell I'm doing in the garage and why I'm not packed YET to go to the airport for a match. (It only happened once...but was way cool when I explained it to him).

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

It sounds to me like you perchased the 'cheep' range loads / reloaded boxed stuff.

And you did not reload the stuff your self. if that is the case the range reload boxes have the cheepest bullets and the are 'down' loaded so as to work in a gun that gets shot once a year.

If you want to get good most shooters need to shoot a min of 800 rounds a month. if you do the math on for the first year at 10,000 rounds = or- you can see why we say reloading is the best.

That same range reloads that are Cheep box stuff , i would not shoot in my gun if you paid me $10.00 a box to shoot it. The factory loads, I would not shoot if it was free, as my range time is more important to me than that.

100 rounds of componets for me to reload cost about $7.00 + 1,000 rounds about $72.00+ or-

wingz,

where u from?

philippines

It sounds to me like you perchased the 'cheep' range loads / reloaded boxed stuff.

And you did not reload the stuff your self. if that is the case the range reload boxes have the cheepest bullets and the are 'down' loaded so as to work in a gun that gets shot once a year.

If you want to get good most shooters need to shoot a min of 800 rounds a month. if you do the math on for the first year at 10,000 rounds = or- you can see why we say reloading is the best.

That same range reloads that are Cheep box stuff , i would not shoot in my gun if you paid me $10.00 a box to shoot it. The factory loads, I would not shoot if it was free, as my range time is more important to me than that.

100 rounds of componets for me to reload cost about $7.00 + 1,000 rounds about $72.00+ or-

you got it right. i found the reloaded stuff at the range itself. i don't know how to reload either, but it's getting clearer to me now that learning to reload with yourself better suits the need of one's gun. thanks for the valuable info.

wingz

Pros: Being able to wake up the morning of a match, load 400 rounds on the RL1050 in under 30 minutes (including filling primer tubes) and driving to the match (after stopping at McDonald's for breakfast) and making it with time to spare.

Cons: The looks I (used to) get from the airport shuttle guys (Matt B. knows this one) as they're wondering what the hell I'm doing in the garage and why I'm not packed YET to go to the airport for a match. (It only happened once...but was way cool when I explained it to him).

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

that's really interesting to reload with yourself. i think i better have to learn it now to save ammo cost and suit my gun's performance needs. thanks a lot.

just about NO company pistol (Colt,Springfield,Par-ord ect) will warrent their pistol if used with reloads, I.E. if it brecks will using reloads the factory will not honor their warrenty, that being said, Welcome to the Shooting match :lol: , if you use reloads you can, download to the power factor for your division (limited,open ect) this will give you less recoil and better sight control, as well as SAVE you money, it don't take long to recover the money put out for a good reloader (Dillion, any of them) using once fired brass is also a big money saver! you can shop around for best buys of reloading supplies. And you are already miles ahead by being on this website, their are tons of information for reloading here. As well as anyone who is involved in shooting in any form. Now if you want a pistol that is covered for reloads try, Dawson,Brazo's, Tripp, Top shooting products, one and all.

thanks, i better be going to start my research on reloading. thanks.

i use reloads exclusively in the range for matches and practice.

did you make those reloads that you're using? for me i guess i'll have to stick to the range ammo (fmj's) that i'm using right now for the meantime; since the reloaded ammos that they issue there is in question. then i'll try to learn the basics of reloading and produce my own reloads.

Edited by wingz

i make my own, where you located? in the south theres true power which is owned by Lito Pible

North there is strong hand and a lot of other reloaders

i,m from makati. how about you? do you have any infos/resources where i can buy reasonably and trusted 9mm reloads around here? thanks

do you have any infos/resources where i can buy reasonably and trusted 9mm reloads around here? thanks

Wingz,

I'd recommend reloading to any shooter who is even close to considering getting into competition. Beyond the fact that it will save you money in the long run, it's the ONLY way you're going to get your gun to reach it's maximum potential.

Having said that, after having gotten into reloading myself... I'd NEVER shoot somebody else's reloads in my gun, no matter how much I trusted them. If the reloading is done wrong, it can result in anything from an inaccurate bullet to a destroyed gun and possible injury.

Until you learn how to do it yourself--because you can trust yourself to do it correctly--I'd recommend buying cheap factory ammo and start getting in the habit of saving the brass for when you get your own machine.

Buy some quality reloading manuals (The ABCs of Reloading or Lyman's 48th Reloading Handbook are my suggestions, though Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition is also good... as long as you don't buy into his shameless self-promotion of his products) and learn the process before going out and spending a bunch of money on equipment.

Firearm manufacturers do not recommend shooting reloads in their firearms (this is slowly going away though) but it does not void any warranties. If your firearm breaks due to the ammo you are using then the manufcturer is not going to warrant it no matter if it's factory loaded or reloaded. Warranties guarantee against defects in materials and design. They don't guarantee against double charges and squibs.

Thread drift off:

Reloads are cheaper and they will let your gun perform to it's full potential just as factory ammo will. Use whatever makes "YOU" comfortable.

Edit: I, personally, would not shoot some other person's reloads unless they are going to warranty them and my gun.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I think I'd stick to factory ammo rather than mystery reloads. If you're loading your own rounds, it's a good plan - you'll put a lot more care into your own loads. I just don't like the idea of using someone else's reloads. Some folks have friends that load their ammo for them, and that usually works out ok but a random commercial reloader shouldn't be trusted.

Factory vs. you own loads, shoot your own loads

Factory vs. mystery reloads, shoot factory

I'm just getting into reloading, but most gun manuals state "do not use reloaded ammo in this gun". Not sure why? I think they are just covering their butts if anything happens.

i think you're right man. good luck on your reloading, i'm also thinking of getting into it soon.

do you have any infos/resources where i can buy reasonably and trusted 9mm reloads around here? thanks

Wingz,

I'd recommend reloading to any shooter who is even close to considering getting into competition. Beyond the fact that it will save you money in the long run, it's the ONLY way you're going to get your gun to reach it's maximum potential.

Having said that, after having gotten into reloading myself... I'd NEVER shoot somebody else's reloads in my gun, no matter how much I trusted them. If the reloading is done wrong, it can result in anything from an inaccurate bullet to a destroyed gun and possible injury.

Until you learn how to do it yourself--because you can trust yourself to do it correctly--I'd recommend buying cheap factory ammo and start getting in the habit of saving the brass for when you get your own machine.

Buy some quality reloading manuals (The ABCs of Reloading or Lyman's 48th Reloading Handbook are my suggestions, though Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition is also good... as long as you don't buy into his shameless self-promotion of his products) and learn the process before going out and spending a bunch of money on equipment.

thanks for the advice & infos.

I think I'd stick to factory ammo rather than mystery reloads. If you're loading your own rounds, it's a good plan - you'll put a lot more care into your own loads. I just don't like the idea of using someone else's reloads. Some folks have friends that load their ammo for them, and that usually works out ok but a random commercial reloader shouldn't be trusted.

Factory vs. you own loads, shoot your own loads

Factory vs. mystery reloads, shoot factory

you really simplified it for me man, thanks a lot!