Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To This

Bullseye Smith

Hey Everyone,

I'm just fell off the truck, and need some help on my first post. I have shot PPC and shoot Bullseye at the club I belong to. Looking very hard at shooting the Defensive Pistol and IPSC. I have alway shot a Smith & Wesson revolver (yes even in Bullseye). I have a 627 - 8 shot and 686 along with a 686+. Which one would be the best for Defensive Pistol?

I know IPSC wants only six rounds in the gun at a time, what is it in defensive? I guess I just need to have someone to hold my hand thur this, so many questions. Later John

Welcome Bullseye, you can find about any kind of revolver discipline on this form. I like to shoot ICORE which stands for International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiast. You can find more out at www.icore.org. It is a place you can shoot 6 shot revolvers or your eight shot. Again welcome.

Welcome Bullseye,

Glad to have you join us.

I would say pick the gun you love the most, and reload the best, and head to the shoots.

There will be plenty of people to help you out.

After you get a few under your belt, you will be able to make an informed decision based on what you want to get out of this style of shooting.

By the way don't feel odd shoot Revo in Bullseye. This will be my 20th year shooting Bullseye / Revolver, with my duty gun.

Jim

Thanks Guys,

Revoman, I would love to shoot ICORE, but there is no matches near by in the central Ohio area. Aerosigns, I love the Bullseye league that I'm in. I use a model 17 for the 22, along with a 32 S&W LONG that we made out of some parts and a well used model 10. I have IPSC and Defensive near by, just wanted to know equipment and stuff need for both. Later- John

Edited by Bullseye Smith

You need a good holster, kydex is fine to get started but you may end up later with some of the fancy speed rigs. Safariland Bianchi holsters are fantastic. No loss of speed at all and you can use them for IPSC and ICORE and when you modify your revolver the hoster will still work.

Get some speedloaders for the 686. That's the gun I would use for USPSA because it only handles 6 and you won't get confused. If you shoot that extra shot they put you in Open class. I've always counted my shots so I have no problem shooting the 627 in USPSA.

Safariland Comp IIIs are probably the best speedloader for reliablility and speed. There is a thread on here on how to modify them. If you don't find it PM me and I'll go over the trick for you.

Speedloader holders from Safariland work great with their reloaders. I love the one that holds three at a time. Get two becasue there will be times you need more than 3 speedloaders.

For the moon clips get the clip holders from Dillon on page 52. they also have the holsters and demooners. Don't waist your money on the Maxfire speedloaders.

If you want to get classified in ICORE that's not a problem. Order some NRA D-1 Tumbstone targets get on the ICORE.ORG site and download the classifiers. Just get another person to run you through. You may end up getting enough interest to start a small club.

I know IPSC wants only six rounds in the gun at a time, what is it in defensive?
The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) goes with six shot revolvers too, with a maximum barrel length of 4". The holster and speedloader carrier requirements are more restrictive than in USPSA/IPSC. Rather than try to outline them here, it's easier to go to the website http://www.idpa.com and check out the rulebook.

When I shot ISU/UIT/ISSF/whatever they call it this year, I thought hard about modifying a M17 to .32 S&W Long for Centerfire. It probably wouldn't have shot any better than my 6" M19, but it would've been cool. :)

Welcome to the Forum! We need all the roundgunners we can get.

Welcome to the forums Bullseye. :)

AZshooter pretty well hit the nail on the head, I'll add just a little.

Defensive pistol(IDPA) has a Max of 18 rounds a stage USPSA/IPSC has a sugested Max of around 32....I have seen more.

Defensive pistol allows 2 reloads in front of the hip/centerline of the body and the other behind the centerline as long as they are all concealed/able.

USPSA/IPSC don't care....just get as many as posible I can carry 9 reloads plus the one we start with makes for 60 shots.

good luck, have fun, glad to have another side feeder. ;)

HOPALONG

• 2 weeks later...